Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girl boarding high school?

rainbow

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 6:29 pm
I'm looking into boarding schools for my high school daughter. Do any of you know of any out of town high schools? If you've heard of Torah Academy of Milwaukee I'd love to know more.

working hard

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 6:31 pm
What about Denver

mommy27

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 6:32 pm
I know there's plenty of out of town girls at Baltimore's Bais Yaakov, but there's no dorm. They board with local families.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 6:38 pm
Mesorah High School in Dallas has boarders who live with families. PM me for more info.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 9:51 pm
What is the reason she wants to go to out of town school? A lot depends on the reason.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 9:53 pm
Out of town schools cost an arm and a leg. My daughter worked lots of hours for two summers, and during the year she took babysitting jobs, to help pay for her plane ticket.
Besides, the tuition is sky high. If you have a rich uncle, perhaps you can afford it.
My daughter wants to go as well, we simply can't afford it.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 10:06 pm
What type of girl is she ad y does she want to go to boarding school? I looked it this for my dd s. Did a lot of research on thesubject but uneed to include more info. About your dd

Chavakaye

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 12:24 pm
There is a new, small orthodox girls school in a lovely town near Boston. There are local and out-of-town girls who board with a family. The school is affordable and innovative in its approach (project-based) to Torah learning and secular studies. It's called The Binah School. You can look it up online or private message me for more info.

boysrus

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 12:45 pm
I heard of a girl who went to BY school in Norfolk, virginia. she loved it and really did beautiffully there.

kitchen designer

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 4:27 pm
[quote]There is a new, small orthodox girls school in a lovely town near Boston. There are local and out-of-town girls who board with a family. The school is affordable and innovative in its approach (project-based) to Torah learning and secular studies. It's called The Binah School. You can look it up online or private message me for more info.[quote]

[color=darkred]I don't think it has a high school[/color]

[color=darkblue]What about New England Academy of Torah (NEAT) in Providence[/color]

b from nj

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 4:44 pm
Chavakaye wrote:
There is a new, small orthodox girls school in a lovely town near Boston. There are local and out-of-town girls who board with a family. The school is affordable and innovative in its approach (project-based) to Torah learning and secular studies. It's called The Binah School. You can look it up online or private message me for more info.

I just met with the 2 principals of the Binah School a few days ago. They seem very sweet & motivated & have lots of good & innovative ideas for the school. It is a tiny school (only 14 girls this year) for grades 6-9. Next year they will have 7th-10th grade & I guess they hope to add on a grade each year. There are some out-of-town students who are boarding with families in Sharon, MA this year. Look them up online & contact them for more info if you are interested.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:00 pm
For what reason to kids go to out of town schools?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
For what reason to kids go to out of town schools?

If the local school doesn't meet their needs. If they would do better away from home.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:15 pm
Rochester - Ora Academy. It is a very small but warm school. There are a few boarders (I have one!), but no dorm. But they do not want to import problems - if a girl needs to get away from home, or there is not a good fit with the local schools in her hometown, those are reasons they would take a girl, but not if she's getting thrown out of the local schools. They feel very strongly that they do not want to be "metamei es hatehoros"

amother

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:31 pm
My dd wanted to go to out of town, or even in-town, school as she was afraid living at home, as my husband was a raging person. He'd bang doors and throw computers, phones, whatnot.

As much as I wanted my daughter to live in a place of safety, I was heartbroken at her moving out. So she agreed to meet with a mediator: my husband, myself, and my daughter. My son joined us as well, as he was curious if anyone can help such a messed up family.

Turns out, the mediator was not a therapist (I dislike therapists). It was an expert in mediations. All of us felt so heard and understood, and after that mediation I felt comfortable having my dd board with another family locally. If we could've afforded out of town, she might have gone there.

The mediation process made me a lot more comfortable with her leaving, and if your daughter is open to it, it will be worth your while.

I wanted my daughter to have a safe home, yet I struggled with my own feelings around this. I appreciate that she was willing to discuss this with a great mediator. Mediators are trained to not make anyone feel blamed. Simply to have everyone's needs heard. When everyone is fully heard, decisions are so much easier to make and implement.

I wish you luck!

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:01 pm
Above amother, please hold onto the number for Shalom Task Force. I worry about the safety of your family, and am glad your DD is in a better environment.

Even if you have not had good experience with therapists in the past, I'd advise you not to rule out the chance to work with a good one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics