Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How to afford an evaluation?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 10:01 pm
My son has been having difficulty in school for a long while and we've suspected something all along. He has therapists from the board of ed who are all recommending that he get an evaluation from a neuropsychologist. I was referred to 2 who are both experts in their field, but I was told that these evaluations are all out of pocket - not through insurance or anything else. I'm unemployed with several kids and we barely wing the basics. I can't shell out the >$2,000 that this is going to cost. That's half of my husband's monthly paycheck. Are there any funds that help families in need of this? I keep hearing that the longer I wait the greater his difficulties will become, I want to help him, I just don't have the means right now.

Tirza

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 10:28 pm
You didn't mention where you live, but if you are near Brooklyn, you should call Counterforce. They do evaluations on a sliding scale basis, depending on income. 718-787-4412. ask for Susanna Morgenthau.
You can also try the Sephardic Bikur Holim. I think they may do this as well. 718-787-1100
Good luck

Marysue

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 11:28 pm
Contact me privately. I know someone who can help.

centurion

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 11:49 pm
Tirza wrote:
You didn't mention where you live, but if you are near Brooklyn, you should call Counterforce. They do evaluations on a sliding scale basis, depending on income. 718-787-4412. ask for Susanna Morgenthau.
You can also try the Sephardic Bikur Holim. I think they may do this as well. 718-787-1100
Good luck

afaik, counterforce doesn't have a neuropsychologist on staff. they might have good recommendations though, as well as suggestions for organizations that might subsidize the costs.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:47 pm
nyu child study has a sliding scale. so does pace university.

fromnj

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 9:00 pm
I have the same issue. Please let me know if you figure something out!

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 3:31 pm
go to your local Board of Education put in a request for an evaluation

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 3:33 pm
If you have to, borrow money from a gemach. This is really important. (as you know)

But I hope you can find help with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)