Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rice recipe

yalimommy

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 12:49 pm
I make rice dishes a lot, both with white rice and with brown.

I have quite a few recipes, and they're all.... fine.

I'm looking for AMAZING!

Does anyone have a rice recipe that makes people say, "WOW!!!! This is SO good!!"?

yalimommy

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 12:51 pm
oops, this was NOT meant to be under "Tehillim"....

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 8:25 pm
LOL, under tehillim LOL
What kinds of rice dishes do you have? I find that a rice dish with sautéed veggies, soy sauce, and sugar goes very well.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 8:33 pm
I made this brown rice kugel a couple of weeks ago. Was a big hit.

http://www.chabad.org/blogs/bl.....l.htm

cbg

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:04 pm
Rice with vermicelli noodles yum
Sauté thin noodles, when the noodles are golden, sauté rice. Then add water and salt to taste. Boil until done.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:16 pm
I reported your post, OP, and asked that it be moved to the Recipe section. Hope that helps! Smile

yalimommy

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 7:29 am
Thanks for helping with my post, gold 21!

I have a few rice recipes that are very good (brown rice with caramelized onions and craisins, sesame rice with celery), but I guess I'm looking for something out of the ordinary and FANTASTIC.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:03 am
I love rice, and also cook it all the time, but it's almost always just plain. I hope someone posts that amazing recipe, but yali, I'd take your just fine recipes any day! The celery one sounds good...

Btw, I have a fried rice recipe of you'd want that. Dh loves it.

yalimommy

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 4:40 pm
SESAME RICE WITH CELERY

2 T sesame seeds
2 T oil
1 C rice
1 C diced celery
1/2 C chopped onion
2-1/2 C water+ chicken soup mix to taste

Saute' sesame seeds in oil till pale golden. Add rice, celery, and onions, and saute' till rice is lightly browned. Put rice mixture in casserole dish with water and soup mix. Cover and bake at 180 C around 45 minutes or till water is absorbed and rice is tender.

yalimommy

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 4:41 pm
Ashrei, I'd love the fried rice recipe.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 6:00 pm
Rice with browned vermicelli
1/2 cup vermicelli noodles (thin, broken into pieces)
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cups basmati rice, rinsed 3 times and soaked in 5cups water for 30min

In a dry, non-stick pot, toast vermicelli noodles till they develop nice brown colour. Make sure you keep on stirring so they toast evenly. No need to add oil. (I usually toast the whole packet and keep the toasted vermicelli in a separate jar).

Saute onion in a non-stick pot with a tight fitting lid with about 2tbsp oil and salt. Season well. Saute till transparent. (though personally I like to saute till it's just about starting to caramelise.

Add rice and water to the pot. Heat over medium flame till water boils, then cover and lower the flame to the lowest. Cook 10min, then mix in browned vermicelli and 3 tbsp water, give a good stir and continue to cook with the lid on for another 5min. Turn off flame and let steam for another 10-15min. Fluff before serving.

For shabbat, you can very lightly oil a foil pan, tip in the rice, and plact on a plata. By the time you sit down for a lunch, a nice brown crunchy crust will form on the bottom. Serve inverted (ie crust on the top) and fluff.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 6:10 pm
Saffron rice

3 cups basmati or persian rice, rinsed 3 times and soaked in 5cups water for 30min
1 teasp salt
1 onion, finely chopped
saffron thread, about 2g

Sprinkle crumbled saffron thread over rice and soaking liquid. Leave for at least 30min. In a non-stick pot with a tight fitting lid, sautee onion in oil, add salt. Saute till transparent but not browned. Add rice with yellow soaking water over a medium flame. Once water is boiled, cover tightly and reduce to lowest flame. Cook for 15min, turn off flame and let steam for 15min. Fluff before serving.

You can add currants and/or toasted flaked almonds.

==============================================
Sabji rice (rice with peas/baby broad beans and herbs)
3 cups basmati or persian rice, rinsed 3 times and soaked in 5 cups water for 30min
1 cup frozen petit pois or baby broad beans
1 teasp salt
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp oil
1 large bunch dills, stems removed and chopped

If using baby broadbeans, remove the skin and just leave the jade green beans. Sautee onion with oil and salt in a non-stick pot with a tight fitting lid. Saute till transparent but before browned. Add rice and water and let boil covered over a medium heat. Once boiled, reduce flame to the lowest and continue cooking covered for 15min. Turn off heat, add beans and dills. Return the lid and let steam for 15min.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 7:10 pm
Yellow Rice (originally published in Hamodia Magazine)

1 onion, diced
3 cups water
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice

In a pot, saute the onion in oil. Add the water, salt, and turmeric, and cook on high flame until it boils. Then add the rice, and continue cooking for 20 min or until all water is cooked out, or until done.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 12:33 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Rice with browned vermicelli
1/2 cup vermicelli noodles (thin, broken into pieces)
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cups basmati rice, rinsed 3 times and soaked in 5cups water for 30min

In a dry, non-stick pot, toast vermicelli noodles till they develop nice brown colour. Make sure you keep on stirring so they toast evenly. No need to add oil. (I usually toast the whole packet and keep the toasted vermicelli in a separate jar).

Saute onion in a non-stick pot with a tight fitting lid with about 2tbsp oil and salt. Season well. Saute till transparent. (though personally I like to saute till it's just about starting to caramelise.

Add rice and water to the pot. Heat over medium flame till water boils, then cover and lower the flame to the lowest. Cook 10min, then mix in browned vermicelli and 3 tbsp water, give a good stir and continue to cook with the lid on for another 5min. Turn off flame and let steam for another 10-15min. Fluff before serving.

For shabbat, you can very lightly oil a foil pan, tip in the rice, and plact on a plata. By the time you sit down for a lunch, a nice brown crunchy crust will form on the bottom. Serve inverted (ie crust on the top) and fluff.

Mrs. Bissli - doesn't the rice get mushy if you stir it when it's half cooked? Especially because you've added the soaking liquid that contains any starch that the rice exuded during soaking. Or is there a lot less starch to begin with b/c it's basmati rice and you've rinsed it really well? Do you think this recipe would work with orez parsi too? My family isn't crazy about basmati rice. Thx!

yummydd

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 12:54 am
My family loves this rice.

2 cups rice
4 1/2 cups water - reduce by 1/2 cup if using canned mushrooms
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp onion soup mix
4 tbsp oil
Pepper
Mushrooms - canned or fresh chopped (optional)

Mix and bake covered for about 45 mins in 350.

ray family

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 6:36 am
Persian rice.
a patchke to make. but you'll taste the difference
persian rice

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:11 pm
etky wrote:
Mrs. Bissli - doesn't the rice get mushy if you stir it when it's half cooked? Especially because you've added the soaking liquid that contains any starch that the rice exuded during soaking. Or is there a lot less starch to begin with b/c it's basmati rice and you've rinsed it really well? Do you think this recipe would work with orez parsi too? My family isn't crazy about basmati rice. Thx!

Sorry for a late reply. No the rice doesn't get mushy, contrary to my regular rule, I stir it halfway basically so that the browned vermicelli gets distributed evenly and all doesn't end up in a clump.

There are no extra starch because you RINSE the rice to start with. And you have to measure the water the rice has been soaking in so you're not using extra water. It's slightly more than 1 rice: 1.5 water that works well for my pot, because you need just a bit extra water to cook vermicelli.

Yes you should be able to use Persian rice as well. But it take a bit longer to cook than basmati, and you'll definitely need to soak Persian rice before cooking.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:17 pm
Another quick one... Add finely grated carrots to the rice before cooking, and reduce water by a few tablespoons. (I usually add 1 large or 2 medium carrots for 3-4 cups of uncooked rice). Add parve soup powder and/or salt before cooking. You'll get nice orange-hued rice that has delicate flavor (plus more veggies in the diet).

Hainanese chicken rice
Peel, thinly slice or shred fresh ginger roots about the size of the first joint of your thumb. Add to rice before cooking according to the instruction. Because of cooking, ginger loses sharpness but imparts rice with lovely aroma. This goes really nicely with roasted chicken. For extra flavor, you can cook the rice in chicken broth.

Mushroom rice
Rinse and soak rice as before. Chop 1/2 lb white or brown mushrooms. Add with 1 tbsp. dry white wine, 1-2 teasp onion soup mix to the rice before cooking according to instruction. Fluff and mix in mushrooms (which will all float to the surface) before serving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes