Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Is it really cheaper to make your own potato kugel?
1  2  3  Next

momtra

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:37 pm
What would you say is the (approximate ) money you spend to make 9 x 13 potato kugel?

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:40 pm
2.49 for 5 lbs of potatoes
.65 for 5 eggs
approz .25 for 1/4 c. oil
some salt and pepper (fraction of a cent)

How much does it cost to run an oven for 2 hours? and the power to run the food processor for 5 minutes?

There you have it. A lot less than $20 or so for the caterer one.

mommyto3RN

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:43 pm
Definitely cheaper to make ur own and I dont like store bought ones either, I think most homemade is yummier. Also time spent making aside from money but again tatse to me is better when I make it.

Stars

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:47 pm
Homemade is better either way. And it takes 10 minutes of prep.

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 2:20 pm
nursingstudent wrote:
Definitely cheaper to make ur own and I dont like store bought ones either, I think most homemade is yummier. Also time spent making aside from money but again tatse to me is better when I make it.

I agree

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 2:34 pm
Store bought kugal doesn't taste the same!!

octopus

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 2:47 pm
I didn't know so many ppl bought their potato kugel after having a conversation with a few ppl. I felt like in the minority for making my own.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 2:49 pm
A nine by thirteen homemade kugal costs the same price as a small piece of store bought kugal. We rarely buy!!!!

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 4:12 pm
Someone I know once got a large pan of store bought potato Kugel- larger than a 9X13- and they paid $50 for it. Ridiculous, in my opinion.

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 8:24 pm
Cheaper, healthier and much tastier.

Worth it if I can make the time, unfortunately I am usually not that organized. Crying

I much prefer my own kugel, it isn't drowned in oil and stilll tastes of potato.

Apart from last week, when the whole container of salt fell in as I was adding it, nothing I could do saved that one Confused

UQT

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 8:36 pm
If you find all the dirty dishes a pain, here's my no fuss version. Throw all the ingredients in the food processor and blend. Yup, the eggs, salt and all. That gives you just one dirty dish and a dirty peeler.

Milky

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 8:39 pm
lkwdmommy wrote:
2.49 for 5 lbs of potatoes
.65 for 5 eggs
approz .25 for 1/4 c. oil
some salt and pepper (fraction of a cent)

How much does it cost to run an oven for 2 hours? and the power to run the food processor for 5 minutes?

There you have it. A lot less than $20 or so for the caterer one.

Hey, you forgot the onions! Smile

cs1

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 8:43 pm
Its definitely tastier than the store bought ones

csl

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:40 pm
Definitely! I bought Erev Pesach which cost me about $24.
if you bake cake/ or chicken, or eggplant, or other foods along with that, you can negotiate the price of gas!

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 10:42 pm
I make potato kugel and sell it fresh. The profit margin is good. So obviously its cheaper to make your own!

boysrus

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:26 pm
UQT wrote:
If you find all the dirty dishes a pain, here's my no fuss version. Throw all the ingredients in the food processor and blend. Yup, the eggs, salt and all. That gives you just one dirty dish and a dirty peeler.

hey ! my mom does that too! so why didnt I ever try it that way...hmmmm
maybe I will nex t time.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:41 am
Maybe this is heretical but I stopped making kugels a while back. Plain roasted vegetables with a little olive oil and salt are so much easier, tastier, and healthier.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 4:49 am
Jeanette wrote:
Maybe this is heretical but I stopped making kugels a while back. Plain roasted vegetables with a little olive oil and salt are so much easier, tastier, and healthier.

DH like roasted potatoes better than kugel, so I just scrub them really well, and then throw them in the pot to cook with the meat juices. A sliced whole onion, a pinch of sea salt, and we're good to go!

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:18 am
I have this unwritten family rule, that kugel is only for shabbos day, and only with chulent. Chulent without kugel is a big no no for my dh, who is an addict! But Friday night is not ever kugel time, roast potatoes/ veg, I throw it all together like FF with olive oil and herbs, and forgeddabouit! So much easier.

roika

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:53 am
UQT wrote:

How about mixing it directly in pan if it doesn't fit... and only have an extra fork to wash.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes