Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Is it really cheaper to make your own potato kugel?
Previous  1  2  3

sky

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 9:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can totally use your regular potato kugel recipe and omit the onions. Just make sure it's well seasoned with salt and pepper.

Thanks.
I just did something like that. My dh is skeptical.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 2:46 pm
I've been craving a potatoe kugel since this thread ... alas I have made one ... hope it last till shabbos ~ yumm

etky

Post Sat, Feb 22 2014, 2:49 pm
I've also been craving PK since this thread. I don't dare give in cause it means death to the diet. I'll wait for Pessach when PK is inevitable anyway.

blessedqueen

Post Sat, Feb 22 2014, 11:54 pm
UQT wrote:
If you find all the dirty dishes a pain, here's my no fuss version. Throw all the ingredients in the food processor and blend. Yup, the eggs, salt and all. That gives you just one dirty dish and a dirty peeler.

amen- homemade potato kugel is cheaper, tastier and healthier. I also do the food processor method, but dont peel the potatoes- alot of vitamins, etc. in the peel, and you cant taste the difference (I cut them open to check for worms, etc)
also, my mom z"l taught me to put the oil in the pan, and heat till bubbling in the oven, then take out quickly, and carefully, and pour in the kugel batter. this sizzles, and makes a perfect crispy outside!
enjoy LOL Wave

bubbebia

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 12:24 am
I'm glad that we all agree that store bought potato kugel can't compare to a homemade one on any level. Any store bought potato kugel I have ever had tasted like sawdust. And now you've made me want to have potato kugel. I don't do it often because it's just the 2 of us now but I think it'll be on the menu for next Shabbos! Onions, fresh garlic and yukon gold potatoes. Those yukon golds may be a bit more expensive, but the taste difference is monumental!

etky

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 12:32 am
bubbebia wrote:
I'm glad that we all agree that store bought potato kugel can't compare to a homemade one on any level. Any store bought potato kugel I have ever had tasted like sawdust. And now you've made me want to have potato kugel. I don't do it often because it's just the 2 of us now but I think it'll be on the menu for next Shabbos! Onions, fresh garlic and yukon gold potatoes. Those yukon golds may be a bit more expensive, but the taste difference is monumental!

I wish we had Yukon Golds here. Using the right kind of potato can make or break the kugel. At certain times of the year it's hard to get potatoes that are right for Pk. Some are too watery and others too dry and floury.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes