Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
More potato kugel questions ;)

studying_torah

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:21 pm
I saw the thread on homemade kugel being more worthwhile but to be honest, I love store bought- except for the price!
So help me figure out how to get that very fine texture like in a deli. When I use the Braun food processor w the "kugel" blade it gets stringy- which I hate. I tried both low and high speeds-same result.
Also how do you get a crispy crust and a fluffy inside without the inside being mushy or the crust soggy?
(I use the recipe from the original heimishe cookbook. I like the taste just not the texture.)

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:26 pm
You can try:
Heating the oil for the kugel either in the pan you are using for the kugel in the oven or in a pot on the stovetop. Pour the oil over the kugel batter. Mix it in and pour into pan.
Bake at a high temp (like 420) for an hour. Lower to 350 till browned to your liking.
I use the s blade and pulse the potatoes and onions. It's not stringy. We prefer that consistancy.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:28 pm
Thanks for the tips! What is the s blade?

Milky

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:35 pm
Tried to upload an s-blade from my phone, but it didn't work. It's the blade that has one side like this ) and one side like that ( with an O in the middle. Smile

I think I just made that more complicated than necessary. Maybe I'll try again when I am on my PC.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 9:48 pm
I use a blender. it comes out smooth. I don't go for the crisp tops. for that, I recommend frying the kugel.

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 10:19 pm
The s blade sits on the bottom of the food processor. The shredding attachments go on top.

granolamom

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 10:19 pm
I find if I add a bit of hot water it comes out fluffier. Not too much, maybe like 1/3 c

SS6099

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 10:38 pm
My family actually loves when the top is soft like in overnight kugel! Make regular kugel an bake on 220 overnight with a pan of water underneath. Yum.....

oliveoil

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:14 am
Use a real pan, not a disposable one. Makes a huge diff to the outside/inside texture.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:09 am
I know someone who double blends the potatoes, firstly using the kugel blade and then the chopper, I think is the way she does it, and her kugel melts in the mouth and is amazingly soft.

Long slow cook will break down and soften the stringy potato and make it crusty, low heat, overnight oven. I think the amount of oil added helps as well, and a pan of water at the bottom of the oven to create steam (works for challah as well apparently).

We actually prefer stringier, denser kugel with a bite, but a crisp top and crunchy bottom, and use a medium hot oven and slow bake. I also chop up an onion and add it, I think it adds a lot to the taste and the acid breaks up the potato fibres while it cooks.

MMCH

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:29 am
not to brag... lol but I have to admit (and so do others) that my potato kugel is really great.

heres what I do. (all of this was passed down from my grandmother, a real potato kugel master.

first off, it is always better in a glass baking dish.

take that dish, pour oil (eye ball it ) and heat it up in a 350 degree oven
using the Braun Kugel Blade Machine, first mix onions and eggs (depending on how many potatos) with S blade.
then put in kugel blade, and pout potatos thru. take mixture into large mixing bowl, add salt pepper, onion , garlic powder to taste.
then carefully take out hot oil, pour on top of potato mixture, shud hear a nice sizzle.
add a little hot water to be nice and fluffy.

pour back into kugel baking dish. bake @ 375. until nice golden brown crust

studying_torah

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:33 am
Thank you so much for all the advice!
I looked up what the s blade is; I think I'll try it w that one. Oh and I also love overnight kugel.... Mmmmm

mfb

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:37 am
studying_torah wrote:
Thanks for the tips! What is the s blade?

Here's what an s blade looks like
http://www.bing.com/images/sea.....C=VZW

imasoftov

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 4:53 pm
MMCH wrote:
using the Braun Kugel Blade Machine ...

I had previously learned here that one of the blades is known as the kugel blade, but I didn't know the entire machine had been renamed.

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 6:26 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Thank you so much for all the advice!
I looked up what the s blade is; I think I'll try it w that one. Oh and I also love overnight kugel.... Mmmmm

you need to crank it up to the highest setting using the s blade. I use my s blade on a setting of four or six to get nice chunks. If you want smooth you need to liquify it. I think highest setting is 12 or 16.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 9:34 pm
I use the Braun food processor with the kugel blade. Everyone loves it!! Not stringy at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes