Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Chapter books for 8 year old girl
Previous  1  2  3  Next

lkwdmommy

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 3:11 pm
Carolyn Haywood's Betsy and Eddie series.
Beverly Cleary-almost all her books are perfectly clean. Maybe check over some of the later ones.
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.
Henry Reed-you might have to wait another year or two for her to appreciate.
Baker's Dozen (Jewish)
BY Times (Jewish)
Regards from Camp (Jewish)
MOst of these Jewish series have characters and situations she can identify with, which I find keeps a reluctant reader going a little better.

Blue jay

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 3:28 pm
Magic Tree House, MY 7 year loves this series. Its a little advanced for her right now but she is enjoying it alot!

Reality

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 8:08 pm
Another good series is Horsey Tales. My 2nd grader loves them. It is about mini magical ponies. My daughter also loves the Rainbow Fairies but if OP is very strict about non-tznius pictures she may have a problem with some of the pictures on the covers.

Someone up thread recommended Roald Dahl. Again if OP is very strict about language I would not go with his books. A lot of shut-up, stupid etc.. Also in some books they call each other an @ss. My kids loved the books but just warning OP in case she is more machmir about these things.

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 8:17 pm
gold21 wrote:
How old is your son? My son is in second grade and I am stocking up on books for him. I got Cam Jansen, Freckle Juice, The Littles, Nate the Great, and Flat Stanley. Is the Magic Tree House a fun read for this age range? What level is it- more advanced than Cam Jansen or less advanced? My son's reading level is M, I believe.

mine is in the same grade. It is a little harder than cam jansen but definitely doable if your child likes to read. put one on hold at the library and try it out! author is mary pope osborne. at some point in the series (# twenty something) the books become merlin missions and are twice as long and are a bit harder. so as your child matures so does the series.

Books

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:22 pm
I used to love The Magic Attic Club series when I was a kid:
"The Magic Attic Club was formed after Heather, Megan, Alison, and Keisha took their first trip to their neighbor Ellie's attic. There they discovered a trunk full of beautiful outfits [from different times/places in history] and a mirror that transports them on wonderful adventures." ~ goodreads.com

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:42 pm
The first few "Little House" books (it may get less interesting in the later books till she gets older.)
The Wizard of Oz, and following series (I haven't read all of them, but I think you are pretty safe with those.)
The first few of the "Betsey Tacy" series, if you can get a hold of them. (again, it may get less interesting in the later books, and when she hits high school, you do run into courtship situations.)
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

fish

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 12:39 pm
the jewish girls around the world series is great

Ilana Tamar

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 1:18 pm
This might be a bit below grade level. My daughter LUVS Junie B. Jones. (And frankly, I do too)
Flat Stanley and The Littles are favorites too, as PP's have stated.
DD also enjoyed Charlotte's Web.

Ilana Tamar

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 1:21 pm
Oops! Can't believe I 4got dd's ABSOLUTE FAVE. Katie Kazoo Switcheroo.

My boys luvved Magic Treehouse and Time Warp Trio, which is basically the same idea, except Time Warp Trio was more boyish. I liked them cuz they were educational, but not all kids are into thrillers and mysteries. DD is more into simple girly stuff.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 1:31 pm
Reality wrote:
Another good series is Horsey Tales. My 2nd grader loves them. It is about mini magical ponies. My daughter also loves the Rainbow Fairies but if OP is very strict about non-tznius pictures she may have a problem with some of the pictures on the covers.

Someone up thread recommended Roald Dahl. Again if OP is very strict about language I would not go with his books. A lot of shut-up, stupid etc.. Also in some books they call each other an @ss. My kids loved the books but just warning OP in case she is more machmir about these things.

Horsey tales sound great! Im going to look into it! My dd loves my little pony! But the books are too simple now for her.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 2:02 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
The first few "Little House" books (it may get less interesting in the later books till she gets older.)
The Wizard of Oz, and following series (I haven't read all of them, but I think you are pretty safe with those.)
The first few of the "Betsey Tacy" series, if you can get a hold of them. (again, it may get less interesting in the later books, and when she hits high school, you do run into courtship situations.)
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Actually I wouldn't recommend the Wizard of Oz books for independent reading. Oh, they're squeaky clean and everything but the language is extremely old fashioned. Don't forget they were authored over a hundred years ago. I read many of the books in the series aloud to my youngest and it was great fun but I had to explain archaic words and expressions to her all the time.

gold21

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 2:10 pm
Which Roald Dahl books are good for this age range? (7-8 years old)
I think The Witches and The BFG would be too advanced? Not sure.

Aylat

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 3:38 pm
Enid Blyton books!

The school series are probably good for when she's a few years older, but the Enchanted Wood and Wishing Chair series, and loads of books with assorted short-medium length stories are fantastic, dd and ds love them!

tropicalrainforest

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 5:08 pm
My girls love all the bluestem awards books . Google it to find exact titles. . Some of them have been mentioned like clementine but most of them have not .all the books are high quality age apropriate reading material .

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 7:04 pm
gold21 wrote:

James and the Giant Peach is easier.

gold21

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 10:02 pm
My son loves the Magic Tree House books

Thank you octopus and others who suggested these books

Now looking for more ideas...

He's almost finished reading all of the 18 Magic Tree House books I purchased...

Need to order some more stuff....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 10:12 pm
The Clementine series by Sara Pennypacker

gold21

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 10:17 pm
Thanks HY!

Just checked, It looks like a really funny series.

Is is a similar reading level?

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 11:15 pm
gold21 wrote:

try "the fantastic mr fox" and "the giraffe and the pelly and me."

warning: I'm pretty sure mr fox has the word "hell" in it once. the other book is squeaky clean and lots of fun. not nearly as grotesque as your typical roald dahl book.

gold21

Post Sun, Apr 06 2014, 11:18 pm
Ok thanks so much!

I just put The Giraffe, The Pelly, and Me in my cart on Amazon.

Is Fantastic Mr Fox shorter/easier than the twits, charlie and the choc factory, etc?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children