Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How cruel is it to chase pigeons?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:18 am
I tell my kids to stop because I don't think it's nice, but they love to do it. I have no idea why. How cruel is it?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:31 am
I dunno. My Israeli cousins loved doing it in US, they thought our pigeons were slow.

The pigeons will quickly learn to avoid your kids.

If they do catch a pigeon you should make them wash their hands as they carry diseases.

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:49 am
If you think its cruel maybe send them with old bread to feed the pigeons instead.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:28 am
No catching! it really really frightens them

ascsam

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:29 am
bad middos

Sanguine

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:36 am
How about chasing stray cats out of my yard? I'm scaring them vs I really never invited them to use my yard as their litter box

pickle321

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:48 am
they're used to it, it's the life of a pigeon. and to the poster who said it's bad middos I disagree, they are normal kids! they aren't hurting the animals, there is no harm in what they are doing!

sanguine- what about the cats scaring us??? im terrified of them!

Sanguine

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:54 am
pickle321 wrote:
they're used to it, it's the life of a pigeon. and to the poster who said it's bad middos I disagree, they are normal kids! they aren't hurting the animals, there is no harm in what they are doing!

sanguine- what about the cats scaring us??? im terrified of them!

Ah - another animal lover like me. Hope we don't grow up to be axe murderers

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:01 pm
Big difference between a dangerous, or bothering animal, and one just living its life. They're creatures of Hashem, too. Tzaar baale chaim laws are there for a reason, and quite stringest too :/

pickle321

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:13 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Ah - another animal lover like me. Hope we don't grow up to be axe murderers

Twisted Evil

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:14 pm
I think it is very poor middos to chase animals just for fun. It's senseless. I would strongly discourage behavior that suggests the idea that it is OK to bother others for one's own entertainment.

Chasing something away from you because you are bothered by it is different and IMHO perfectly acceptable, assuming it's done with no undue harshness, just whatever it takes to get them away from you.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:14 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I tell my kids to stop because I don't think it's nice, but they love to do it. I have no idea why. How cruel is it?

My first reaction was, who's chasing pigeons at this time of year? I should have thought of our southern friends here ;-)

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:36 pm
A guess: They do it because they like to see the reaction. Moving pigeons are more interesting than still ones. It makes them feel powerful.

Some ideas: Teach them more mindful ways to appreciate the wildlife around them - sitting still, observe the ways the pigeons move, how they interact, the colors of their feathers... talk about it, build language and observation skills.
Find other ways to be powerful and reinforce what a difference the kids make in the world - doing kind things, cleaning up, recycling... point out the reactions/effects until they notice/feel it (e.g. give them a coin for a beggar, and then after you walk past, enthusiastically point out to them "Did you see how he smiled? YOU made his day!" etc)

gp2.0

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:42 pm
If we're walking in that direction anyway I let DD run ahead a little so she gets to "chase" them. They would have moved anyway.

The thing is, if they flutter and land a short distance away, they're obviously not bothered. And if they are bothered, they head for the trees or nearest rooftop. End of chasing.

They're used to constantly needing to move out of the way. I honestly don't think it bothers them. It's their way of life.

One might even argue that it helps them brush up on their reflexes so they can avoid being hit by a car later.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 12:48 pm
I don't think it bothers the pigeons, but I don't like what it develops in the children. And I've seen kids taking it to the next level and chasing younger kids (strangers) in the park, just to scare them or assert their power or whatever.

anotherima

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:01 pm
Reminds me of this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrRxQVUFN4

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:05 pm
at what age are we talking about? my 2 year old loves saying hi to the birds. it looks like she is chasing them but all she wants is to say hello. even when my kids were 4 or 5 they liked to see if they could outrun the pigeons. of course they never did. it's one thing if you feel there is some cruelty involved, but it's another thing if it's from a place of innocence. that's why I am asking how old your kids are. b'h my kids that are big now don't do that because they think it's just silly so why bother. if you really want your kids to stop don't make a big deal about it. that will make it more exciting. redirect or I guess feed them even though I think that is a terrible idea. my park for sure does not allow feeding the birds.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:26 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I don't think it bothers the pigeons, but I don't like what it develops in the children. And I've seen kids taking it to the next level and chasing younger kids (strangers) in the park, just to scare them or assert their power or whatever.

Chasing pigeons has nothing to do with chasing younger kids. Even the youngest child understands the difference between an animal and a human being

yo'ma

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:31 pm
octopus wrote:
at what age are we talking about? my 2 year old loves saying hi to the birds. it looks like she is chasing them but all she wants is to say hello. even when my kids were 4 or 5 they liked to see if they could outrun the pigeons. of course they never did. it's one thing if you feel there is some cruelty involved, but it's another thing if it's from a place of innocence. that's why I am asking how old your kids are. b'h my kids that are big now don't do that because they think it's just silly so why bother. if you really want your kids to stop don't make a big deal about it. that will make it more exciting. redirect or I guess feed them even though I think that is a terrible idea. my park for sure does not allow feeding the birds.

The ones that did it now areages 3 and 6. They don't do it to be cruel at all. They think it's funny. Like I said, I have no idea why. I don't like feeding the birds either. You know what would happen if they do feed them once they finish the food...they would chase them LOL Wink Rolling Eyes . They weren't as bad as another kid who threw sand at them.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 2:41 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Chasing pigeons has nothing to do with chasing younger kids. Even the youngest child understands the difference between an animal and a human being

I will disagree with you on that. IMO.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette