Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Was there a doctor/therapist/evaluator you really liked?

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 12:51 am
Because I work with learning challenges, I get asked a lot for referrals to professionals in related fields. I have a few contacts, but apparently not enough, and not very geographically diverse either (I get calls from all over). If you had a great experience and would like to share, can you please either post here, or PM me, or email me (via my website link in my profile) (depending which identity you prefer to use, real or imamother)

Especially interested in:
~ Evaluations for LD or ADHD
~ Audiologists specializing in auditory processing
~ Vision therapists
~ Anyone else you've felt was especially helpful in diagnosing or treating: ADHD, sensory processing disorders, auditory processing disorders, social skills delays/difficulties

Geographic focus: Would love to hear from everywhere and really expand my network, but I get a lot of queries from Lakewood and Boro Park or Brooklyn in general. Would also like to know who's good in Israel.

I've gotten somewhat of a reputation for giving out good advice (as some amothers have discovered Wink ) but I get stuck at the point where I recommend a type of service and the person asks "Who should I call for that?" and I have to say I honestly have no idea in your city! So I hope it's not too unprofessional to ask here, but this is the best crowdsource I know of and I hope people will be willing to share their experiences to help others.

TIA!

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 6:47 am
Dr Rabbi Richard Price - Monsey

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 7:03 am
Dr David mark child psychologist in the five towns. Amazing at helping treat my child and an invaluable resource for us as parents.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 8:50 am
seeker wrote:
Because I work with learning challenges, I get asked a lot for referrals to professionals in related fields. I have a few contacts, but apparently not enough, and not very geographically diverse either (I get calls from all over). If you had a great experience and would like to share, can you please either post here, or PM me, or email me (via my website link in my profile) (depending which identity you prefer to use, real or imamother)

Especially interested in:
~ Evaluations for LD or ADHD
~ Audiologists specializing in auditory processing
~ Vision therapists
~ Anyone else you've felt was especially helpful in diagnosing or treating: ADHD, sensory processing disorders, auditory processing disorders, social skills delays/difficulties

Geographic focus: Would love to hear from everywhere and really expand my network, but I get a lot of queries from Lakewood and Boro Park or Brooklyn in general. Would also like to know who's good in Israel.

I've gotten somewhat of a reputation for giving out good advice (as some amothers have discovered Wink ) but I get stuck at the point where I recommend a type of service and the person asks "Who should I call for that?" and I have to say I honestly have no idea in your city! So I hope it's not too unprofessional to ask here, but this is the best crowdsource I know of and I hope people will be willing to share their experiences to help others.

TIA!

For ADHD, I LOVED Dr. Jeffrey Newcorn, MD, a Psychiatrist at Mt. Sinai. I know several people who go to him. He's very expensive but worth it, and excellent at finding the right medication.

He's not frum, but very understanding, and heart of gold

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 10:42 am
Thank you so much, and also thanks to those who PM'd me! If you don't mind, it would be really helpful to add (especially if you're posting as amother, and it's not like anyone is going to know all your issues based on that) what it was that they were good for, or what you liked about them, rather than just the name.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 9:14 pm
Hello again.
Bumping up this topic as there is a great need for this information and I received just a handful of responses.
There is particular need for people who either accept insurance or whose fees are affordable. But I'll take expensive recommendations too; better than nothing!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 11:50 pm
For auditory processing you absolutely want Olga Lis from Audiology Central. She tested my son and she was terrific- very warm and caring. She explained everything very clearly and had lots of great suggestions that have really helped my son deal with his auditory processing issues both at home and in school. They're address is 209 Avenue P in Brooklyn and their number is 718-421-2782. Their price was better than other places that I called, too.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 11:52 pm
It is nice to hear that such an effective person exists, and at a reasonable rate! Thank you so much for sharing, amother!

I sure hope the people who PM'd me asking are following this; it's so hard to keep track.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)