Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Do convertible boosters exist?

morah

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 10:05 am
I know convertible car seats are a thing- my almost 3 year old is in one now. The thing is, my 5 month old is gonna need it soon, but the big one is not big enough for a booster yet. Do they make a car seat that converts to a booster when the time comes? If so, what do you recommend? Or do we have to get another convertible car seat?

busydev

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 10:13 am
they do make ones that become boosters. I was planning on looking for one myself lol. waiting till after the winter cause the infant seat is more convenient tho heavy with 17+lbs of baby.
google or search amazon or babysrus 3 in 1 forward facing car seats. or forward facing car seat and booster.
but either way you dont need another convertable seat just a forward facing one.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 10:33 am
If you want to keep the older one rear facing, you'll need another convertible. If forward facing is fine for you, there are FF seats with a five point harness that convert to a high back booster, which would be the next stage in a few years.

acccdac

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 10:38 am
I have the britax frontier and l like it.
amazon has a coupon right now, if it's still works try XTRA15OFF, britax 15 or britax20 and see if they work, you may be able to combine them.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 10:41 am
It's not worth it to focus much on a booster now. Get the best FF seat for you, whether convertible or combination (that's the official word for FF -> booster seats). Boosters are relatively inexpensive and usually work better as a standalone than one that converted. So your options are more abundant.

But I would say to take a look at the Harmony Defender 360 only available at walmart (you can buy online) -- it's my new favorite as a super skinny seat, under $100, and works as a combination seat.

morah

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 10:46 am
He's been forward facing for several months already, so that's not an issue. Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I've got some homework to do after Shabbos.

Peanut2

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 11:07 am
I have an evenflo convertible car seat, which we got only once my kid was out of the infant seat. It works forward and back facing and then becomes a high back booster.

It's supposed to be easy to install and seems good.

iamamother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 11:07 am
we just started using this one. I like it because it goes from having the 5point harness to using the regular seat belt and then to a plain booster...
http://www.toysrus.com/product.....earch

spring13

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:26 pm
Graco Nautlius or Argos, Britax Frontier or Pioneer or Pinnacle, Evenflo Chase, Recaro Performance Sport, Safety First Summit - all of those are "harness boosters" ie: front-facing carseats. Most have some conversion capability, ie: they can become high-back boosters and even belt-positioning boosters.

I have a Graco Nautilus, which I got for my 3.5 year old when her baby sister outgrew the infant seat. But the buckles were recently recalled, so you might have some trouble getting the newest model. It's an excellent seat though, and I think it's what you're looking for.

SplitPea

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:38 pm
Please keep in mind when making this purchase of expiration dates. I know you are trying to get the seat that will last you the longest but many/most of these cheaper seats (or under $200) will expire 5 years from manufacter date. While here in NY a Child MUST be boostered until their 8th birthday. You will be needing to buy a new booster anyway. I recommend getting a carseat that had a good height/weight limit that works for you and sticking with it. most good convertibles can hold a child until they are at least 5 is not older Smile then look into boosters

morah

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:53 pm
SplitPea wrote:
Please keep in mind when making this purchase of expiration dates. I know you are trying to get the seat that will last you the longest but many/most of these cheaper seats (or under $200) will expire 5 years from manufacter date. While here in NY a Child MUST be boostered until their 8th birthday. You will be needing to buy a new booster anyway. I recommend getting a carseat that had a good height/weight limit that works for you and sticking with it. most good convertibles can hold a child until they are at least 5 is not older Smile then look into boosters

I would have to get new ones anyway as the smaller kid grows and needs it himself (and as I IYH have more babies). I think of use in terms of how many kids it will work for Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:51 am
So then it's really better to not think of the future for this child but rather the future of your family altogether. Get one with a good expiration date that works well now and graduate into a dedicated booster later on. Dedicated boosters work better at belt positioning anyway.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:52 am
It 's not true, though, that car seats that are cheap have only 5 year limits. That used to be true about a decade ago, but these days the average is 6, with many having 7 years. Diono has longer, but it's more. Great limits for weight/height, but also hard to install.

busydev

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 6:49 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It 's not true, though, that car seats that are cheap have only 5 year limits. That used to be true about a decade ago, but these days the average is 6, with many having 7 years. Diono has longer, but it's more. Great limits for weight/height, but also hard to install.

we didnt find the diono so hard to install (well dh didnt) when we were putting it RF before we got the foam piece to go under it, then it was harder, but since then and in the FF position its been fine. then again we havent been able to compare with installing other seats cause thats the only one we currently have.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:22 pm
It depends on the vehicle you have as well...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics