Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
How bad is it to have DH take online course for me?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:33 pm
I'm in grad school and the school just changed their requirements, we're required to have prereqs in statistics and chemistry now (for a program that has nothing to do with either). Exploding anger Do you think there's any possibility that having DH take an online chem class under my name would be okay halachically??? I'm horrible at math & science and won't be able to devote enough time to my studies that actually matter if I have to take this stupid course!!

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in grad school and the school just changed their requirements, we're required to have prereqs in statistics and chemistry now (for a program that has nothing to do with either). Exploding anger Do you think there's any possibility that having DH take an online chem class under my name would be okay halachically??? I'm horrible at math & science and won't be able to devote enough time to my studies that actually matter if I have to take this stupid course!!

Its LYING

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:36 pm
Don't.

Barbara

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:38 pm
I don't think that its acceptable under any moral code, halachic or otherwise.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:39 pm
I don't know of any loopholes for plain ole cheating Wink Sorry! Lots of us suffered through classes like that, and I'm pretty sure we lived to tell the tale.

imasinger

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:39 pm
Bummer that they changed the prereqs on you.

Of course you cannot have your DH take the course in your name. That is wrong in a whole lot of ways; any rav will tell you.

However, I bet he could tutor you and help you succeed in doing your own work.

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:40 pm
100% ASSUR. And illegal!

BTW, just in case your wondering, I thought that all my undergrad core curriculum courses were a waste of time. Turns out, I needed every single one of them so far (except maybe Literature...but even that!). Statistics is a very important course in many, many fields. My friends mother who is a doctor told me how bad it is that she didn't learn it well.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I'm in the field of Social Work.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:41 pm
Are you insane

There are all sorts of software and methods professors have to detect plagiarism
They probably will catch you . Then you can be expelled and all your hardworking since you started school will go down drain
Not to mention it will be a massive Chilul Hashem

bubbebia

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:46 pm
It's wrong on so many levels. It's cheating plain and simple. Are you willing to take the chance of the consequences?

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:54 pm
Take it together

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 10:58 pm
On top of the disgusting immorality, you have no idea how fascinating those subjects are. You will LOVE THEM.

Even if you don't shine at them, just passing will be enough to give you fascinating new insights into Hashem's world.

AND you might find that with today's newfangled ways of getting information, support, and all, on the internet, that you might find you are rather better at this than you think.

Any previous brushes you had with these subjects are NOT the only ways they can be taught.

Don't be so chicken. Take the courses.

wife2

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 11:07 pm
Take the course and try to learn something. He can help you with homework and teach/tutor you what you need help with. You need to attend the classes, read the books, and do the work. You only need to pass - you don't need to get an A.

watergirl

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 11:17 pm
They often have you come in to a teatinf center for a final exam. Your id will be checked. Youll get busted.

shirachadasha

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 11:19 pm
I think it would be fine as long as dh's name is on the diploma.

Last edited by shirachadasha on Sat, Feb 15 2014, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 11:24 pm
watergirl wrote:
They often have you come in to a teatinf center for a final exam. Your id will be checked. Youll get busted.

No, they don't. I've taken statistics courses completely online. Sign up and your dh can tutor you, it's not as daunting as it seems right now. You can do it!!

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 11:58 pm
shirachadasha wrote:
I think it would be fine as long as dh's name is on the diploma.
:-)

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 12:00 am
how bad is it?
off the top of my head issurim include lying, gneivas daas , chillul hashem....

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 12:32 am
Why would you even need to ask if this is assur? shock

If your Jewish education/upbringing included any instruction in basic middot, the answer should be obvious.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 12:34 am
OP here.

I know, I know.

But still!

I was hoping someone could find me a heter...

Sigh.

Nerd

(Please no more perky remarks about how I might enjoy it. If you knew my grad school course load, internship, and children's needs, there's no way you could be so blithe about this Impending Doom.)

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 12:57 am
I knew perfectly well you were doing too much but I didn't want to be the one to say it.

Fine. Here it is.

You are doing too much.

It can't be done.

Space the whole thing out in a manageable way.

This is Imamother, not Imagenius or Imaprofessional.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions