Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child with fever and helucinating

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:22 am
Does anyone know if this is normal? When my child gets a fever my child also sometimes begins to helucinate and it gets me nervous sometimes.

Does anyone know if it's a normal thing? My child is 6.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:25 am
If he fever is high enough this happens, I cool it down right away by removing outer clothing, cool washcloth, and acetaminophen.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:32 am
So interesting to hear someone else that has it.
My dh had this as a child and he always felt as if no one understood him. He felt things becoming very big/or very small.
One of my children has had it happen twice also. It didn't happen from very high fever I think he had 102 or 103. The doctor said its ok just to keep a watch on him. As soon as the motrin kicked in, it went away.
Good luck

Liba

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:36 am
One of my kids hallucinates even with low grade fevers. Sometimes they hallucinate BEFORE the fever starts. The pediatrician isn't worried, but it is really disturbing and scary for us both.

I am sorry you are dealing with this too!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
So interesting to hear someone else that has it.
My dh had this as a child and he always felt as if no one understood him. He felt things becoming very big/or very small.
One of my children has had it happen twice also. It didn't happen from very high fever I think he had 102 or 103. The doctor said its ok just to keep a watch on him. As soon as the motrin kicked in, it went away.
Good luck
wow, weird. My child told me "ema, your very far for me" and I was sitting literally less than two inches away.
And even weirder, dc woke from a nap and started scratching my finger saying something inautable. It was freaky. There were more. Glad to know that dc is not alone and did it go away when he got older?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:40 am
Liba wrote:
One of my kids hallucinates even with low grade fevers. Sometimes they hallucinate BEFORE the fever starts. The pediatrician isn't worried, but it is really disturbing and scary for us both.

I am sorry you are dealing with this too!
same here, liba. I knew my dc was getting fever because this happened. And yes, it is very disturbing to see. It unnerved me.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
wow, weird. My child told me "ema, your very far for me" and I was sitting literally less than two inches away.
And even weirder, dc woke from a nap and started scratching my finger saying something inautable. It was freaky. There were more. Glad to know that dc is not alone and did it go away when he got older?

Now as an adult he very very rarely has it. I remember once that he went to shul, and came home early cuz he felt things starting to get small. But I think that was the only time in over 10 yrs. Also as an adult he doesn't really get fever, so that might be why it doesn't happen.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
Now as an adult he very very rarely has it. I remember once that he went to shul, and came home early cuz he felt things starting to get small. But I think that was the only time in over 10 yrs. Also as an adult he doesn't really get fever, so that might be why it doesn't happen.

I want to add that when my ds had it he was very scared of me, he wanted me to hug him but every time he came close he started screaming that I look like a monster and ran back away. He also couldn't go to my husband for a hug cuz he said my husbands hairs were very sharp and spiky!

Cookie Monster

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 10:04 am
Ds once had that in the middle of the night when he had fever. It was quite frightening but when I later heard it's normal I calmed down. They say the weirdest stuff!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 10:05 am
I'm the OP. The scariest was two nights ago my child woke up with a curdling scream. I went in to dc room and do was crying saying "abba pushed me off the bed". Dc was so convinced that I bad to wake up my husband for dc to see that abba was in fact in bed sleeping. Scary.

vicki

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 10:55 am
I used to get high fevers with ear infections. I remember once, I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 -waking up from a nap while my fever was going up - and crying that "we were all running after a bad boy". I was absolutely hallucinating.

shevi82

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 1:47 pm
My ds (11) also has that. He b"h doesn't get sick often, but this past Shabbos he had fever and walked into my room (he always knocks, but didn't this time) and said he hears noises and that we're talking too fast. I gave him Tylenol and sat with him until he calmed down and fell asleep.
My dh says he also had it as a kid and that it goes away with age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics