Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What if you think a poster is a man?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 9:58 am
bluebird wrote:
Oh, is TammyTammy back? Twisted Evil

I may know who you mean. But I remember a post a few years back in which a poster publically apologized for accusing another poster of being a man. If you need to know, PM me and I'll see if I can find the thread.
Im not publicly accusing anyone. And I would never do that either. Its not me. If you want to PM me with who yo think I am talking about you are more than welcome. You can pm with the link if you want, but I dont see what that thread will accomplish here.

gold21

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:09 am
Not a clue who u guys are talking about. Bummer. Wink

rikki!

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:14 am
I'm embarrassingly curious which poster you're referring too. Am I the only one?

Just a thought- there's a possibility that the poster isn't a native English speaker. Writing in a second language can sometimes come across as robotic and can therefore be misunderstood or misinterpreted.
Just my .02

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:18 am
Just thinking about men on this website makes me want to vomit...
Why would you think men would enjoy joining this site?

BlueRose52

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:21 am
I've had this suspicion too, based on certain writing styles, especially when it comes to halachic discussions. I've gotten into enough halachic discussions with guys to recognize the yeshivish style of speaking about halachic topics, something which one who has not been through a black-hat yeshiva would not be employing (e.g. "The Ritva in chelek beis of his hagois brings down from a tosfos in bava metzia...") Also, I've seen various men on FB admit they have accounts here, although I don't know if they post.

But it doesn't really bother me either way.

Last edited by BlueRose52 on Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:28 am
My brother has a friend who TOLD me his [male] friend routinely posts on this site. I showed a certain post to my brother, and he TOLD me that it was definitely his [male] friend who posted.

Here is a link to this post:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0
Go to amother who posted at Sun, Jan 19 2014, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Ah. Clearly, the better question is whether you would attack a girl who dares to wear a dress that
doesn't come from Goodwill as having bad middot, and attack the mother who would dare to take pleasure in her child looking good as shallow and unworthy.

But please, make sure that your child has wonderful middot.

(1) Buy her cheap fake Uggs. They won't be comfortable, won't keep her warm, and will wear out quickly, but you will be able to take great pride in the fact that you have good middot, unlike those low-life people who care only about brand names. And you show that middot by saying that to everyone you know. Because nothing demonstrates your middot like attacking someone else's. Better yet, let her go without boots. Because wearing thin-soled shoes and stockings while walking around when the temperature is below 20 degrees is the best way to show that you don't act like those terrible boot-buying people who care only about appearances.

(2) She should carry her things in a paper bag from the grocery store, or perhaps in a bag that you sew together from clothes that you originally bought at KMart, and that have now worn out. Because no child should ever purchase quality items that will last for years. It shows much greater respect for the earth to buy disposable items.

(3) She should not have a phone. She will never need to reach you in an emergency. And if she does, well, did you know that there are still 80 payphones on Staten Island, for example? I'm sure she'll be able to find one in case of emergency.

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:30 am
Amother -
I'm confused. If you knew that it was a man, why didn't you report it?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:31 am
rikki! wrote:
I'm embarrassingly curious which poster you're referring too. Am I the only one?

Just a thought- there's a possibility that the poster isn't a native English speaker. Writing in a second language can sometimes come across as robotic and can therefore be misunderstood or misinterpreted.
Just my .02

I certainly hope you're not referring to me or others like me. (I'm in the US) English is my second language and I was never a good writer. and because I posted on topics that refer to sb or other marital issues, not necessarily about intimacy, I'm often announced "troll". I try not to get offended. But when I'm being reported it takes me nowhere, I can't get the help I was looking for and then I must shut my mouth and close imamother site in disgust.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:35 am
cbsmommy wrote:
Amother -
I'm confused. If you knew that it was a man, why didn't you report it?

Because I liked the post.

ora_43

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:43 am
BlueRose52 wrote:
I've had this suspicion too, based on certain writing styles, especially when it comes to halachic discussions. I've gotten into enough halachic discussions with guys to recognize the yeshivish style of speaking about halachic topics, something which one who has not been through a black-hat yeshiva would not be employing (e.g. "The Ritva in chelek beis of his hagois brings down from a tosfos in bava metzia...")

I've heard women talking that way (in real life, so definitely actual women). Teachers in yeshivish seminaries, for one.

There are plenty of women who've either actually learned Gemara themselves (they probably wouldn't use the ashkenazi typing, but would say things like "brings down from"), or have spent a lot of time around men who talk that way.

BlueRose52

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:49 am
ora_43 wrote:
I've heard women talking that way (in real life, so definitely actual women). Teachers in yeshivish seminaries, for one.

There are plenty of women who've either actually learned Gemara themselves (they probably wouldn't use the ashkenazi typing, but would say things like "brings down from"), or have spent a lot of time around men who talk that way.

I've met plenty of very learned women, but I've never heard them speak about torah ideas with that distinctive style. I suppose it's possible there are, but that's the sort of thing that makes me wonder about a poster being a male.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 10:57 am
Somehow, I can't seem to intertwine men posting on facebook that they post here with posts talking about the "gevaldik ha'ara" type of posts...

I know of men who have accounts here, but they're not the yeshivish talkers. And I'm not sure if they just lurk or also post. If I ever figured out their screenname -- or even their anonymous post, you bet I would tell Yael, even if I did like the post. Yael can check the identity of amother if there are suspicions that it's a male.

pickle321

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:04 am
amother wrote:
Does this happen to anyone else? Sometimes I am almost 100% sure that a poster is a man by the way that they always mention DH (as if it is to make sure that we all believe that the poster is a woman) or the way they give sources to things. I am not saying that women cant source things out either, but the way that they do it.

Was anyone else ever almost sure that a poster was a man? What did you do? I dont know what to do. Its weirding me out.

okay okay you caught me Wink

im kidding btw

Cookie Monster

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:10 am
pickle321 wrote:
okay okay you caught me Wink

im kidding btw

Somehow I can't see a man calling himself pickle! Cholent maybe or beer... But pickle?

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:11 am
I've been called a man ... but after yael had me patted down people started calling me gay

~ you can't win

pickle321

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:14 am
Cookie Monster wrote:
Somehow I can't see a man calling himself pickle! Cholent maybe or beer... But pickle?

lol true tho calling himself cholent would be a big giveaway he would probly try to cover it up by calling himself MRScholent cuz that wouldnt be obvious LOL

Cookie Monster

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:15 am
pickle321 wrote:
lol true tho calling himself cholent would be a big giveaway he would probly try to cover it up by calling himself MRScholent cuz that wouldnt be obvious LOL

Ha!!

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:20 am
Cookie Monster wrote:

now I think I'll change my name to

beer guzzler

pickle321

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:22 am
greenfire wrote:
now I think I'll change my name to

beer guzzler

I might have to report you with a name like that Very Happy

MrsDash

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:22 am
That's why you gotta have the word "Mrs" in your screen name. No one will suspect that Cool
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette