Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Chareidi aliyah-last chance
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:11 pm
For a number of reasons, we have put off our aliyah. Now our oldest is 8 and we are running out of time. We have done a tremendous amount of research trying to find the right community and keep hitting brick walls. Now is my last ditch effort to find something. Here is what we need: NOT RBS. We have researched it extensively and have come to the conclusion it will not work for our family. Our biggest obstacle is finding a community that 1) is not bursting at the seams, has a real kehilla feeling, an American (or anglo) Rav who is very invested in the spiritual growth of his community and is closely involved in his community. The problem with RBS here is that there are way too many people and shuls and people can get easily lost in the crowd. My husband is a very quiet person who has a hard time getting comfortable. He needs a community where he will be warmly welcomed and noticed pretty quickly. On our pilot trip to RBS, he davened at 3 shuls that he thought might be relevant and got not even a shalom Aleichem at any one of them. 2) has a few educational options for our kids and is not bursting at the seams. A small amount of American kids and a willingness to help our kids adapt is important. We LOVED Chatam in Rechovot but the BY there is bursting at the seams and is the only option academically for our daughter. There are no English speakers in her grade. :-(

What else is out there? We nixed Mattityahu bec. as much as they offer 1), we don't feel like Kiryat Sefer is an ideal community to educate our kids-as much as we are willing to embrace chareidi lifestyle, there's chareidi and then theres kiryat sefer CHAREIDI. Karmiel is a lovely community but doesn't have the anglo chareidi rav we need.

So we are feeling like there is no community in Israel that can meet both the needs of my husband and the educational needs of our kids and are getting ready to give up. Anyone have any outside of the box ideas? I know RBS is the number one place yeshivish/chareidi Americans move to. But what's number 2? Where do people who need something a little smaller/warmer go?

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:20 pm
I'm not sure about the Anglo Rav part, but could Telz Stone be an option?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:26 pm
You sound just like us. We know that we are running out of time, as our oldest is almost 7.

We're considering Beitar.

Would love to hear more suggestions.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 8:20 pm
it's very hard to find what you're looking for. I've been here 10 years. and have yet to find it. let me know if you do.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 9:01 pm
OP here. What about Tel Tzion? (not Telze Stone). Anyone with info about it? Kehilla aspect? To the poster who mentioned Beitar, we are also looking into it.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 8:23 am
Bumping for the israeli crowd

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 9:32 am
I was going to say Rechovot until half way through your post.

Three things:
There is talk about Chatam starting a girls' school - contact them because I don't know what stage it is at.
The BY may be bursting at the seams, but it is excellent, the principal is excellent, almost all the teachers are excellent, and there is a real sense of family there.
Why does your dd need English speakers in her grade? Start her learning Hebrew this week and by the time you come she'll be able to manage.

e1234

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 11:21 am
I'm in beitar

beitar is very nice but I'm not sure you will find the community you are looking for

it's a very nice community but it's not the same as an american community - def no one rav

pm me for more info

ice coffee

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 12:11 pm
How about Sanhedrin murchevet ? It is very chareidi with lots of anglos and I think the majority follow under Rav Berkovitz

smss

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 12:15 pm
amother wrote:
it's very hard to find what you're looking for. I've been here 10 years. and have yet to find it. let me know if you do.

me too. though I haven't been looking for 10 years....

amother above who mentioned beitar, I don't live there but we looked into it at one point and were told it's very chassidish. so if you're not chassidish, it might not be the right place for you. we were also told that unless you are in R' Friedman's kollel, there isn't much of an "american community" feel. maybe someone who lives in beitar can confirm or disagree...

Success10

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:06 pm
Did you mention Givat Ze'ev? A nice group of Anglos there, nice, new affordable develeopements. Don't know much about Rav, I think Rav Brazil from Zeev HaTorah just moved his yeshiva there.

Also, this project near RBS looks very promising: http://ganeihaela.com/

sister

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:11 pm
the old city in tsfat

boysrus

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:56 pm
Success10 wrote:
Did you mention Givat Ze'ev? A nice group of Anglos there, nice, new affordable develeopements. Don't know much about Rav, I think Rav Brazil from Zeev HaTorah just moved his yeshiva there.

Also, this project near RBS looks very promising: http://ganeihaela.com/

as someone who looked into ganei haela for a friend, I must mention that it defiintely sounds promising as a community with an anglo Rav, but also, it is not going to be typically chareidi, rather more american chareidi/ chardal, where the majority of residents send and will send their children to Chardal type schools in RBS, eg Moriah adn Rapaport, which is deifintely not charedi, and it does not sound like it would be a suitable crowd for the OP

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:59 pm
I was also going to suggest Rechovot, until halfway through your post. It sounds perfect, except for the bais yaakov. Is there perhaps a nearby bais yaakov you'd be willing to have her commute to? The bais yaakov is bursting at the seams, it's true, but it is a fairly good school for Americans--they have bagriot, etc.

R'Stein's new school is underway--he's planning on starting with gan4s, gan chova and kita alef for the upcoming school year. I believe that he hopes to have gan 3 through kita bet after that, and just keep extending up with that first kita alef class. It sounds like it wouldn't be fast enough for your daughter.

Good luck finding a place!

ewa-jo

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. What about Tel Tzion? (not Telze Stone). Anyone with info about it? Kehilla aspect? To the poster who mentioned Beitar, we are also looking into it.

I live in Kochav Yaakov, (next door) but send my kids to school in Tel Tzion. IMO, it's a nice charedi community and might just be what you're looking for... there are a good number of English-speakers there, but it is still an Israeli community... different flavors of charedi though... chassidish and sefardi charedi and chabadniks and whatnot... not everyone is the same.... but it is definitely a charedi community. If you PM me, I can get you in touch with a friend who lives there who can give you the inside info.

What else? There are a good number of schools... and also Yerushalayim is very close by bus (the bus here is super cheap and runs all the time.... it's not a big deal if you don't have a car) so older kids could definitely learn in Yerushalayim. There are services in the yishuv... a supermarket and kupat cholim (um... medical clinics for all the major health funds)... and commuting to Yerushalayim for work or learning is not so shleppy... or just because you want to buy a cake at Brooklyn Bakery. Smile

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 2:05 pm
I know you said you nixed Matityahu because of the education in Kiryat Sefer, but I wanted to suggest you take another look. I just moved here this past summer. My oldest is 7 (kita bet) and is in Avi Ezri in KS. We looked into the schools quite a bit before we got here and we were told that of the 3 Bais Yaakovs in KS, Avi Ezri is the most able to deal with anything ;outside of the box'. My daughter was in an AMAZING school in the states before we came (it was the one thing that almost stopped us from coming) and, although we are 'yeshivish' I am definitely NOT your standard Bais Yaakov girl. I am soo impressed with the school & the teachers. They have been absolutely amazing and accommodating. My dd did not speak a word of Hebbrew when we got here. I expected her to come home in tears every day at the beginning. And she came home with the biggest smile on her face, the teacher made sure she felt comfortable, and has worked with me all year to help her adjust and keep up with the class. And it's not just this teacher. I've heard it from other people as well, and seen the way the administration deals with everything.
The moshav itself is amazing and the community is sooooooo welcoming. I think it might be worth another look!
Hatzlacha!

shevi82

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 2:37 pm
Avi Ezri is known to be a very good school. The minhalet is a wonderful lady.
I also suggest you look into Matityahu again.
Otherwise what about Neve Yaakov in Yerushalim?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 4:00 pm
To the poster in Matityahu- I am very interesting in talking to you. Is there any way I can get in touch with you?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 4:06 pm
Sorry, I'm not comfortable attaching my screen name to that post. I think it totally identifies me. If you want to post under you SN or post an email address , I'll gladly be in touch with you.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 4:38 pm
okay, I created a gmail account: chareidialiyah@gmail.com
I would love to talk more about matityahu as it sounds like it could really work. thanks so much!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions