Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Binah's Special Needs Symposium
Previous  1  2  3  4

yogabird

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:06 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
this is more typical of the children I've seen but I must say that I grew up around the corner from a girl who was non verbal and very aggressive all the years. When she was about 17, she suddenly became a whole lot more livable. Today she is 30 and living in a nursing home but in much better shape than she ever was. Her body is much weaker though and I think that is a big part of it.

They may have put her on meds...

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:18 pm
yogabird wrote:
They may have put her on meds...

I was wondering the same thing but if it was as "simple" as that for an awful lot of mothers, they'd do it. The fact is that psychiatric medications often have little or no affect on children with autism.

yogabird

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:21 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
I was wondering the same thing but if it was as "simple" as that for an awful lot of mothers, they'd do it. The fact is that psychiatric medications often have little or no affect on children with autism.

...and often these children are put on a concoction of psychotropic drugs when they become physically too big and too strong to manage.

Last edited by yogabird on Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:26 pm
yogabird wrote:
...and often these children are put on a concoction of psychotropic drugs when they become physically to big and too strong to manage.

True and it's sometimes the only way but often even that horrible solution doesn't work.

maestro

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:29 pm
amother above, beautiful post. Thank you.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:

In closing, I do not write regular posts on imamother (I'm a bit shy..hence the amother Smile), but I will continue reading this thread. You are an inspiration, your children are blessed to have you as mothers, and may you all find the continued strength. Know that there is a mother out there praying for you and hoping you find comfort in the years to come.

You might want to consider that. You really spoke for me. (Though I do know people with severely autistic kids.)

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:34 pm
PinkFridge, thanks for that encouragement. I do mean what I wrote and sincerely want to know what else can be done to actively support parents.

hifromkgh

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:46 pm
Hi there! usually I do not reply to posts...but this one was pulling me. I am an aba therapist and have been working together with children with autism and their families for close to 10 years. I have seen tremendous progress with many children and many of whom end up being mainstreamed into general ed classrooms. yes the progress is slow. Yes, there is tremendous emotional , physical and financial burdens on the entire family. One thing that across the board all parents with special needs have to offer is their need for support and positive attitude. I encourage parents not to look at the large picture because that can be very depressing. Look at the progress both big and small. Look forward and never give up. Stay around people who see the best in your child and will help you stay afloat. I think this attitude can and should be adopted by every parent with and without special needs.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room