Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sautéed onions

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 11:30 am
Can I leave sautéed onions in the fridge till tomorrow then just use it like I would fresh?

iamamother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 11:33 am
yes. I have even froze them... if I make too much as s topping for hamburgers lets say I will freeze the leftovers for the next time...

mfb

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 11:44 am
Yes. I usually freeze before yom tov so I have part ready for different foods

Chickpea

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 11:59 am
It's not a good idea to freeze (or to refrigerate for that matter) sautéed onions. The oil that they were sautéed in will become hydrogenated. The low temps of the fridge and/or freezer cause a chemical reaction causing the low fat oil to turn into a high fat oil. When you remove the onions from the freezer, notice the solid gobs of oil.....this is hydrogenation. Bad Sad for your arteries.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 12:24 pm
tzippibird wrote:
It's not a good idea to freeze (or to refrigerate for that matter) sautéed onions. The oil that they were sautéed in will become hydrogenated. The low temps of the fridge and/or freezer cause a chemical reaction causing the low fat oil to turn into a high fat oil. When you remove the onions from the freezer, notice the solid gobs of oil.....this is hydrogenation. Bad Sad for your arteries.

sorry, tzippibird, absolutely untrue. the oil is solid because it's gotten cold. you can absolutely keep sauteed onions in the fridge.

hydrogenation involves heating the oil to over 500 degrees, then using some sort of metal as a "catalyst" to change its molecular structure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen