Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
NY Times - A MO writer reflects on her divorce

BlueRose52

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 3:01 pm
A Modern Orthodox writer reflects on her divorce, in the New York Times.

Divorced From My Husband, and My Faith

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 3:55 pm
I don't get her point. Or what this has to do with being MO.

Summary: She got divorced to find herself religiously. Rabbi says it's a new start. The end.

BlueRose52

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 4:00 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Summary: She got divorced to find herself religiously. Rabbi says it's a new start. The end.

Who said it has anything to do with MO? I just thought it helpful have some context to her perspective.

She happens to be a well known author. I read two of her books, which are set in a somewhat MO southern community.

The Ladies Auxiliary
The Outside World

grace413

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 4:03 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I did not get the impression that she got divorced to find herself religiously. Rather, than being divorced allowed her the freedom to change her way of life.

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 4:05 pm
I thought it was beautifully written. But then, I've been a fan of her writing for a long time. And I'm sad for her and her kids (one of whom I have taught) because divorce is hard, even when it is necessary.

I did not see anything in the article to indicate that she got divorced to find herself religiously. What part gave you that idea?

I saw a story about someone who feared a judgmental attitude from the beit din, and instead, found compassion. In some ways, the article mirrored the complexity of feelings about being frum and about communities and judgments that I read in her novels.

I will look forward to her new book. And would wish her mazel tov on her new start. I can relate.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 5:57 pm
I was just rereading her two books. And wondering when she was going to come out with another. I also really enjoyed her writing.

It sounds like she wants to make some changes in her life religiously, but she is not very specific at all. As she writes:

Quote:
It was this wisdom from my tradition that I wanted to hold onto, even as I left so much behind.

I wish her hatzlacha.

ange

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 7:30 pm
I guess my reaction was different. I had tears in my yes after reading this, tears of disappointment that this young couple that years ago were able to love each other could not get past their differences and get back to that point. That the selfish society we live in pushes people to pursue personal happiness as the end goal. Why couldn't she find herself within the framework of the life she had chosen, instead of turning her back on it?

There was no indication of abuse or anything like that. The tone was more of a growing in different directions and I find that so sad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links