Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Which is a better meat and more money,

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 1:42 pm
between a brisket and a number 5 roast?

Blue jay

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 3:48 pm
brisket is softer. Roast is a little tougher in my opinion. Which is cheaper depends on whats on sale Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 4:09 pm
yo'ma wrote:
between a brisket and a number 5 roast?
Brisket is a better meat and costs more.

Minute steak roast is cheaper.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 5:42 pm
Thanks. My kids don't care for it when I make roast, but this time I made a brisket and they loved it. I wasn't sure if it was the sauce or meat. Now I know it's probably the meat. I guess it's only brisket from now on Smile . I only used a half, so the rest will be corned beef. Will the fact that the meat is frozen affect the pickling or corning (whatever it's called)?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 5:45 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Thanks. My kids don't care for it when I make roast, but this time I made a brisket and they loved it. I wasn't sure if it was the sauce or meat. Now I know it's probably the meat. I guess it's only brisket from now on Smile . I only used a half, so the rest will be corned beef. Will the fact that the meat is frozen affect the pickling or corning (whatever it's called)?
I assume you will defrost before you pickle it? I don't think it should make a difference that it was frozen first.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 5:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I assume you will defrost before you pickle it? I don't think it should make a difference that it was frozen first.

No, it takes 3-5 days to pickle and I'm wondering if I start with it frozen in the fridge, would it keep it from being pickled properly?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 6:01 pm
yo'ma wrote:
No, it takes 3-5 days to pickle and I'm wondering if I start with it frozen in the fridge, would it keep it from being pickled properly?
It will probably take an extra day for it to defrost in the fridge in the brine.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 6:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It will probably take an extra day for it to defrost in the fridge in the brine.

I know and I was asking would it brine when frozen, so I don't have to do it extra days? Thanks for answering.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 6:59 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I know and I was asking would it brine when frozen, so I don't have to do it extra days? Thanks for answering.
I don't think so.
Why not just leave the meat out on the counter tonight for 6 hours and put it in the brine in the morning.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 8:21 pm
better meat always cost more gelt & taste better ... my dd almost fainted once at the price sticker on our pesach brisket ... I assured her that I cut it in half so that other half was for another part of yom tov

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:17 am
greenfire wrote:
better meat always cost more gelt & taste better

Tha'ts what I wanted to know, if it was a better meat. Wink

jflower

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:30 am
What's a number 5 roast? Never heard of it.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 4:32 am
jflower wrote:
What's a number 5 roast? Never heard of it.

I don't know what it's called. You'd have to ask an Israeli because that's how they sell meat there and I use meat exported to Israel, so it goes by numbers as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics