Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Philadelphia Northeast VS North Miami Beach

admommy

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 11:23 am
Hi all,

We will be moving this summer from Yerushalayim to either Philadelphia Northeast (Rhawnhurst) or to North Miami Beach. Those are the only two areas that fit with my husband's job. We are on the yeshivishe side of things, and have a few young kids, and would like a community with an out-of-town feel that still had a normal amount of people and a good school etc.

Can anyone chime in comparing these neighborhoods re: schools, restaurants, housing, size of the black-hat community, attitudes and values of the community, etc.

Thank you!

admommy

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 9:41 am
C'mon, no one can help me?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 3:54 pm
I would move to NMB - nice community , warm weather and so pretty
NE Philadelphia is colddddd- nothing exciting there- unless you have family nearby- like NY or LKWD.

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 5:13 pm
Philadelphia's North East is more yeshivish than other neighborhoods in Philadelphia (except the Yehisiva neighborhood, but that is a very few families.)

The housing is mostly 2-family houses. There are a few streets that have mostly frum families on them.

It is much more affordable than any part of Miami.

It is not a huge community. There are one or 2 restaurants, a large grocery store. The preferred school for Yeshvish in Philly is Politz Hebrew Academy of Philadelphia. http://www.politzhebrewacademy.org/ The director of the school is very warm & caring. & the school has some resources for kids with learning issues.

It is close enough to Lakewood -about 90 min. or less- that people often go there to shop for clothes or big food shops for Pesach.

It is 2 hrs from Brooklyn & 3.5 hrs from Baltimore.

If you PM me, I can put you in touch with people in that neighborhood.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 5:26 pm
NE Philly has a wonderful, warm community with some of the best families I know. There are families who will make you feel so welcomed and like family. However I'd really hesitate to move there because it is just such a small community with a slightly dwindling population. Many of the wonderful families are aging, and their children are all choosing NY or Lakewood or Baltimore or Israel. However it is closer to other big frum communities (NY, Lakewood, etc) compared to Miami so if you have family nearby that is a big consideration.

I don't have first hand knowledge of North Miami Beach, but in general Florida is a great place to live. It is generally much more laid back than up north - which can be good or bad depending on what your prefer. South Florida has several nice frum communities, so you are not limited to NMB but you can shop and eat in the communities that are close by. However, once you get out of south Florida you have a loooong drive until you reach another big community. While Orlando and Jacksonville have some things, you really have to wait until you reach Atlanta until you get to the next really frum area.

If you can manage it I would try to visit both communities to get a feel for things because they are both so different. They both have a lot of wonderful qualities and IYH you'll have a wonderful time and great mazal in either place. Hatzlacha Raba!

admommy

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 3:50 am
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that they both have some wonderful things, though they are pretty different.

One of the big things that concern us is if there are a nice amount of people our age/stage in Northeast Philly that we'll be comfortable. We're in our low 30s and have a few young kids....

Also, in terms of house prices, in Philly you can get a decent 4-5 bedroom house for less than 250k. I know that NMB is more, but I don't know how much more.

Any help with these 2 things would be appreciated!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:39 am
admommy wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that they both have some wonderful things, though they are pretty different.

One of the big things that concern us is if there are a nice amount of people our age/stage in Northeast Philly that we'll be comfortable. We're in our low 30s and have a few young kids....

Also, in terms of house prices, in Philly you can get a decent 4-5 bedroom house for less than 250k. I know that NMB is more, but I don't know how much more.

Any help with these 2 things would be appreciated!

If you'e looking for a large community of people that age NE Philly is not the right place. If you're ok with a smaller group of friends and being friends with people of all different ages you'll be ok. There are some really nice young families there. In the summer the women get together for shlosh seudos in different houses, I've gone as a guest it's very nice.
The houses in NE Philly are cheap but that's becasue they're almost all semi-attached one floor homes with basements. There are very few 2 floor homes, and the ones that do exist are not really on the popular streets. Most people live on dorcas and the 'dorcas loop' The houses are decent sized for a one floor home but most are only 3 bedrooms on the main floor. You'd only get 5 if the basement was converted to have 2 bedrooms.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:52 am
NMB has a high crime rate. There is a Chabad school and a Bais Yakov as well as a Chofetz Chaim school for boys.. There are a few restaurants as well as kosher food. Maybe you should think about moving to Aventura or Hollywood, both are not too far from NMB. Be sure to check the distance from your home to your shul as walking in this heat is tough. Also be prepared to have 2 cars as public transportation is nil and you need to drive everywhere as well as car pool. Best of luck.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
NMB has a high crime rate. There is a Chabad school and a Bais Yakov as well as a Chofetz Chaim school for boys.. There are a few restaurants as well as kosher food. Maybe you should think about moving to Aventura or Hollywood, both are not too far from NMB. Be sure to check the distance from your home to your shul as walking in this heat is tough. Also be prepared to have 2 cars as public transportation is nil and you need to drive everywhere as well as car pool. Best of luck.

Aventura and Hollywood do not have much of a yeshivish population, and both are more expensive than NMB is.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:13 am
Houses in NMB are not expensive, unless it has a pool and is in brand new condition. There are a lot of bargains to be found. Crime is high, but everyone carries a gun...

admommy

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 3:29 am
Thanks all for your help.... I guess we have a decision to make!

m in Israel

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 3:40 am
As far as school in NMB go, there is a Chofetz Chaim affiliated elementary school -- Toras Emes -- that has a separate boys division and girls division that is considered an excellent school. It goes till 5th grade. After that they run a middle school and high school for boys (Yeshiva Toras Chaim), and the girls mostly continue on to the Bais Yaakov which goes from 6th grade to 12 grade.

If you want more "yeshivish" options you can always send your kids to MB -- but it means carpooling. (It's about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes away)

RockyZ

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 6:45 am
I live in Miami Beach. If I can help with any questions.....Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating