Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Unprecedented look behind the scenes at Lev Tahor in canada
  Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next

welcome home

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Excuse you?
You might want to take that back and apologize to Mama Bear.
Are you serious?

This is all speculation, we have no idea if her son is actually disabled. I was responding to Naturalmom, not Mama Bear.

Let's get back to the real topic. Why are chassidishe boys only starting to get a secular education at the age of 8? Quite frankly, that's disturbing. Is it even legal? And how many hours a day do they get to study secular subjects--is it enough to catch up to regular 8 year olds who start first grade at 6?

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:57 pm
No shaychus Satmar to Lev Tahor.

I mean, I'm happy that im not Satmar, but Satmar kids play and run around like normal kids. Lev Tahor kids don't.

Last edited by gold21 on Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:57 pm
welcome home wrote:
This is all speculation, we have no idea if her son is actually disabled. I was responding to Naturalmom, not Mama Bear.

Let's get back to the real topic. Why are chassidishe boys only starting to get a secular education at the age of 8? Quite frankly, that's disturbing. Is it even legal? And how many hours a day do they get to study secular subjects--is it enough to catch up to regular 8 year olds who start first grade at 6?
If this is all speculation, then why did you say, specifically, "There are plenty of special needs kids that still start first grade at 6. They get additional help ie resource room, para, etc so Mama Bear's son should not have had a problem starting first grade at 6 either."?

Where's the speculation in making assumptions on another poster? If you do not know Mama Bear, and even if you do, how dare you question her son's abilities?

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If this is all speculation, then why did you say, specifically, "There are plenty of special needs kids that still start first grade at 6. They get additional help ie resource room, para, etc so Mama Bear's son should not have had a problem starting first grade at 6 either."?

Where's the speculation in making assumptions on another poster? If you do not know Mama Bear, and even if you do, how dare you question her son's abilities?

Agreed.

pecan

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:59 pm
Just want to point out that you need to define secular education before deciding that chassidic schools do not provide boys with these subjects.
Torah teaches science, math, history, and geography. If a person is taught tanach well, plus Rashi (grammar), Rambam, and gemorah, he will be a very well rounded person.

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 12:03 am
ra_mom wrote:

Yes, how dare you??

welcome home

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 12:30 am
ra_mom wrote:

Why don't you yell at naturalmom for making assumptions about Mama Bears child? Or better yet, why dont you answer the questions I asked instead of deflecting and diverting attention from it?

Zehava

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 1:16 am
Wow omg way to make assumptions about special needs children. Welcome home you are way out of line and ignorant too, which you have shown in other posts as well. You might want to look up some threads about imamother etiquette or you will just keep getting well-deserves attacks.

Zehava

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 1:18 am
welcome home wrote:
Why don't you yell at naturalmom for making assumptions about Mama Bears child? Or better yet, why dont you answer the questions I asked instead of deflecting and diverting attention from it?

Not me not me I didn't do anything yell at her it's all her fault!! Not listening Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Argue

m in Israel

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 3:18 am
accidental double post

Last edited by m in Israel on Wed, Mar 12 2014, 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total

m in Israel

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 3:19 am
welcome home, asking personal questions of another poster ("why is your kid so old in 1st grade") is rude and against this site's rules. And it is completely irrelevant -- mama bear is discussing what is taught in the first grade -- I assume they are not teaching her son a different curriculum than the rest of the class because he is a different age. So the reason he is older is none of your business. He may have special needs, he may have spent 2 years touring Europe before starting school, he may have been in outer space -- what difference does it make to the point?

In any case, if you think the primary problem with Lev Tahor is that they don't teach their kids English you should do a bit more research. Beatings, severe food restriction, allegations of illegal use of psychiatric drugs, underage forced marriages of girls as young as 14, breaking of contact with everyone out of the cult including family members, and the mismanagement or possible embezzlement of MILLIONS of dollars of tzedaka money are among the accusations they are facing. What they are trying to convince the media is that they are simply being persecuted for their Chinuch choices -- but this is not about whether or not they teach the kids English (or in their former location, French).

If you want to start a Satmar bashing thread, feel free to do so -- or to pull up one of the numerous ones already on this site. But don't mix up issues, and certainly don't break site rules and attack other posters.

And BTW, "illiterate" does not mean "doesn't know English". Someone who can read and write multiple languages is quite literate, even if they don't happen to speak the one that you do. I happen to be a big believer in reading and writing in the language of the land that you live in, and I also think that reading and writing English is an essential skill in today's world wherever you live. But you can make that argument without resorting to inaccurate and emotional terms like "illiterate".

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 7:26 am
welcome home, why the obsession with satmar? this thread is about lev tahor. Maybe stay on topic.

welcome home

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 9:04 am
m in Israel wrote:
In any case, if you think the primary problem with Lev Tahor is that they don't teach their kids English you should do a bit more research. Beatings, severe food restriction, allegations of illegal use of psychiatric drugs, underage forced marriages of girls as young as 14, breaking of contact with everyone out of the cult including family members, and the mismanagement or possible embezzlement of MILLIONS of dollars of tzedaka money are among the accusations they are facing. What they are trying to convince the media is that they are simply being persecuted for their Chinuch choices -- but this is not about whether or not they teach the kids English (or in their former location, French).

Mismanagement or possible embezzlement of millions of tzedaka money happens in all communities with tons of different charity organizations but is not a reason to remove children from a home. I also know families who have kids with allergies and/or are vegetarian/vegan so there are severe food restrictions in these homes as well. The Canadian government has 6 Lev Tahor kids in custody. If these kids were being beaten then why are there no reports of bodily marks or even ptsd symptoms? If these kids were drugged up, then why are there no reports of withdrawal symptoms? Instead, these kids are ending up in the hospital while under the care of the Canadian government. Sounds to me that this is more of a political issue/reason as to why the government is removing kids from these homes.

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 9:27 am
Welcome Home I don't think I was ever rude to anyone on Imamother, but I guess theres a first time for everything. I think you should change your screen name to, I hate Chassidim and everything they do or don't do.

And yes, Im ready to get tomatoes for this!

Zehava

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 9:28 am
The fact that they were trained to go on hunger strike proves more than anything that this is a cult. Stop defending them already Shooting Arrow Shooting Arrow Banging head Banging head Banging head

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 9:37 am
What makes you think there were no signs of abuse? Did you hear all the details from people in the know?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 9:41 am
The last few posts have nothing to do with Lev Tehor btw. Why is it turning into some bashing post instead? Hmm.....

Deep

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 9:44 am
welcome home wrote:
Mismanagement or possible embezzlement of millions of tzedaka money happens in all communities with tons of different charity organizations but is not a reason to remove children from a home. I also know families who have kids with allergies and/or are vegetarian/vegan so there are severe food restrictions in these homes as well. The Canadian government has 6 Lev Tahor kids in custody. If these kids were being beaten then why are there no reports of bodily marks or even ptsd symptoms? If these kids were drugged up, then why are there no reports of withdrawal symptoms? Instead, these kids are ending up in the hospital while under the care of the Canadian government. Sounds to me that this is more of a political issue/reason as to why the government is removing kids from these homes.

I don't know who you are, but as a Montrealer with an intimate knowledge of this group, I am starting to think that you are either very obtuse, or a lev tahor lobbyist.(Is it that lucrative?)

happybeingamom

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 10:53 am
Zehava wrote:
The fact that they were trained to go on hunger strike proves more than anything that this is a cult. Stop defending them already Shooting Arrow Shooting Arrow Banging head Banging head Banging head

Exactly!!

What loving parent tells their child to starve, not to take liquids. This is beyond evil. Can you imagine the physical pain these children are in?

We need to daven for a yeshua for these children.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 11:16 am
Welcome home you obviously have an agenda here. But because of that it seems like you're defending lev tahor, which I am sure you are not. You are just trying to show how bad you think Satmar is. No place for that on this thread. I'm sorry.
Like a pp suggested there are plenty of Satmar bashing threads for you to entertain yourself with. Go ahead do a search.
But it ain't this thread.
Page 11 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links