Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Spices for Chicken-soup

smile

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 3:42 am
Which spices and how much of each do you use for the chicken-soup. (about 2 liter of soup)

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 3:52 am
Fresh garlic (2-4 cloves), crushed

Bay leaves (1-2, broken in half)

Salt and pepper to taste

Since I usually add last week's leftover chicken and bones, sometimes, other spices find their way in, like saffron, turmeric, or soy sauce. But that is extra.

I find the best flavor comes from having lots of chicken (and letting bones boil in the soup for a while), onions, and lots of carrots.

asp40

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 4:37 am
I do not use any spices. I put in carrots, onions, sometimes celery, dill and chicken. A dash of salt and pepper. That is it. Cook it in the crock pot for the best flavor.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 4:49 am
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and turmeric

Sorry no measurements

busydev

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:04 am
seasoned salt (abt 3 scant teaspoons-using "real" spoon not measuring spoon), few shakes of dried dill, some fresh chopped parsley, an onion and a chicken bottom.

freidasima

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:13 am
Chicken soup for 10 liters -
1 skinned chicken cut into pieces with fat removed from pieces.
10 liters water
1 level tablespoon salt
1 heaping tablespoon garlic (I use ground, not powder)
1 heaping tablespoon curcum
1 heaping tablespoon sweet paprika
1 shake of pepper
5 carrots peeled and cut into slices
2 potatoes peeled and cut into big chunks
1 peeled whole onion

Put in large pot. Bring to boil. As reaching boil skim off gunk on top. Let boil with top half off for two hours. Cool. Freeze. Defrost and remove fat on top. Heat and serve.

For my dh who can eat fat (unlike me) I serve him fresh when it's made. For me I have to freeze and remove the little fat left.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:43 am
asp40 wrote:
I do not use any spices. I put in carrots, onions, sometimes celery, dill and chicken. A dash of salt and pepper. That is it. Cook it in the crock pot for the best flavor.

I put in chicken/bones/pupiks, carrots, onions, parsnip, sometimes celery. I love to use fresh dill and parsley but only in bags, so usually I just use dill seeds. That's it. No spices at all besides the dill seeds.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:45 am
A bunch (touch forefinger to thumb -- about that diameter when holding by the stems) of fresh parsley, and a bunch of fresh dill, wrapped together in cheesecloth.

I always also put in: an onion, carrots (easily a pound for a 9-quart pot), celery, a few cloves of garlic, lots of chicken bones (minimum 4-5 pounds), salt and pepper. NEVER EVER EVER soup mix.
If I have, I'll put in: sweet potato, parsnip (that's a pyetechke, looks like a white carrot), kohlrabi, celery root.

If I put in a few turkey or beef bones, it gives the soup a meatier flavor.
I haven't had pupiks since I moved to Chicago, but as a kid, they were my FAVORITE! (and I'm 25, not an old timer Very Happy )

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:49 am
I don't put any spices. Occasionally I will add dill, but I prefer without. Sometimes I add salt, but usually the chicken I use it salty enough on it's own. Go figure!

(Ingredients I use: Chicken bones, wings and necks. 1 large sweet potato (gives a great sweet flavor!), lots of carrots and onions)

Odelyah

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:52 am
If I'm using an 8 qt. pot (which is mostly full of chicken and vegetables, with water to cover), I would use 2 soup spoons (from my flatware) full of salt (it's probably 1 1/2 tablespoons or so? you could start with that and add a little more to taste if needed), a couple of dashes of white pepper, and a few big shakes of dried dill. I also put in 2 whole garlic cloves. If you want my whole recipe I'd be happy to share it. Chicken soup is my favorite food Smile

Pineapple

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:37 am
freidasima wrote:
Chicken soup for 10 liters -
1 skinned chicken cut into pieces with fat removed from pieces.
10 liters water
1 level tablespoon salt
1 heaping tablespoon garlic (I use ground, not powder)
1 heaping tablespoon curcum
1 heaping tablespoon sweet paprika
1 shake of pepper
5 carrots peeled and cut into slices
2 potatoes peeled and cut into big chunks
1 peeled whole onion

Put in large pot. Bring to boil. As reaching boil skim off gunk on top. Let boil with top half off for two hours. Cool. Freeze. Defrost and remove fat on top. Heat and serve.

For my dh who can eat fat (unlike me) I serve him fresh when it's made. For me I have to freeze and remove the little fat left.

What type of spice is this (bolded)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:43 am
Not Freidasima (though the resemblance is overwhelming!) but I think it's turmeric. Adds color, but more, flavor and it's a great anti-oxidant.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:46 am
1 Tbsp salt to 8 quart pot.

I think the Turnip in my soup gives it a ton of flavor (along with all the other veggies).

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 8:00 am
I go for the basics ... salt, black pepper, garlic powder

fresh veggies include:

parsley
parsnip
celery
carrots
onions
garlic cloves

I also skin the chicken [no fat to skim] & we eat it with the soup & veggies as a meal

freidasima

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 9:32 am
curcum is turmeric.
I also forgot the most important thing - ten shakes of ground chili pepper! makes it tangy.

I don't put in parsley as I don't keep it around and I don't put in dill although I love it because my dh can't stand it. It's hard to find turnips here so I don't put them in but I love them and same goes for soup greens of all kinds and root (shoresh).

If I had them around I would add them. Maybe I should keep some in the freezer to use for this. Thanks for the reminder!

bubbebia

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 9:36 am
I only use 1 chicken leg for a 6 qt pot but I let it simmer all day so use whatever amounts of chicken you want. In addition, 1/2 carrot per person, 1 onion minimum (we use several onions because my family likes to eat the onions), 1/2 parsnip, 1-2 whole cloves of garlic, 8-10 whole peppercorns, a palmful of salt (I never add enough so I have a salt shaker on the table). Sometimes I'll use fresh dill. Fill with cold water, bring to a boil and skim off the stuff that comes to the top until it's basically scum-free. Put the cover back on, lower to a simmer and just let it go. It's very rich and comforting.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 9:55 am
I put in curry and turkey neck. Thanks for all the other ideas.

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:09 am
Salt, peppercorns, garlic, onions, carrots, celery, sweet potato, chicken.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:14 am
Carrots, celery, parsnips, and parsley root.

Slices of fresh ginger root and several cloves of peeled garlic.

I don't add salt because the chicken is already salty. And ideally I simmer the soup for 4 or 5 hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics