Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do teachers want fancy MM from students?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 6:57 pm
I was informed that I should bring MM to dd's teachers. What I am expected to give (according to a cousin of mine) is a bottle of wine or grape juice, and a nice box of chocolate or similar. And $$.

DD is not in school where we live. I usually give teachers the same simple (themed) MM that I give everybody else.

DD has 3 teachers. But then my other children have teachers too. figure 10 bottles of wine, chocolate and $$. Who has this kind of money to spend on so many teachers? Do teachers really want this or is it just 'well, thats what everyone else does' mentality?

I will most likely give my usual mm with some money added, but was curious what teachers feel. And parents too.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:04 pm
I am also curious. I am more concerned with the usefulness of the MM versus the usefulness of cash for the teachers. I am not so concerned about affording the aggregate. What do teachers want?

chanee

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:05 pm
Some years I gave the same themed ones I gave to everyone, if that looked decent enough. But when I made a too big patchka (sorry, can't think of a English word) like colorful and lots of nosh I then bought a nice box chocolate for $15. I always add an envelope with money.

chanee

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:07 pm
When I teached I got from simple bars chocolate to fancy set ups on Styrofoam and gifts.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:13 pm
I like to give the teachers gifts a couple of times a year, usually chanukah and Purim. They work so hard and really don't get paid enough, and I want to express my gratitude to them. So I do give cash/gift cards.

In terms of MM, I think it's fine to give whatever you normally give. If it's stuff that other people appreciate, the teachers should appreciate it as well. If not, maybe rethink your MM Wink

SplitPea

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:37 pm
A teacher has what 20+ students? They expect a bottle of wine and chocolates from every single one?!? If that happens there is a lot of wine and chocolates going to waist or not being used!

If you get chocolate make sure its KLP.

When I was teaching preschool my fav MM were those that gave nice exotic fruits mangos, pineapples even alvacados. Even better if they were not 100% ripe and it was not a rush to eat it.

Fruit, veggie, deli etc platters were nice from those wanted to do more.

If everyone thinks "wine and chocolate" it could get pretty borrow for teachers.

Also remember teachers get TONS of mm. I wager to say most of them end up in donation bins after Purim. Especially those who teach many many students. So don't worry about it. Let your kid see them. Give your normal MM and any extra you would have spend give in cash.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:44 pm
I can only speak for myself, but as a teacher what I want most is to be appreciated. I want to know that you noticed my efforts and feel some gratitude. Money is nice but I would not want anyone to give something they can't afford or would resent because it's something they feel they need to do. Something presentable with a nice note communicates the message just as well.

If your themed MM is nice, then giving it to the teacher is a nice friendly thing to do. If it is a box of fruit punch with a bag of super snacks, not so impressive.

bluebird

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 7:54 pm
SplitPea wrote:
A teacher has what 20+ students? They expect a bottle of wine and chocolates from every single one?!? If that happens there is a lot of wine and chocolates going to waist or not being used!

That's generally where mine go anyway. Wink

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 8:43 pm
My sister is a teacher in a preschool for a few years so last week I asked her whats appreciated. She said she appreciates the gesture of sending in general but the main thing most teachers appreciate is the check( noone expects anything big). Wine is definitaly not needed and you can send the same you send to everyone if its easier for you.

My sister took mishloach manos to her boss that is also a rebitzen in a shul and got back a bag of 5! Different chocolate boxes.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 9:46 pm
chanee wrote:
When I teached I got from simple bars chocolate to fancy set ups on Styrofoam and gifts.

😯 When you Teached??!???

Volunteer

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 11:49 pm
I always liked receiving mm from students' families, as long as they are small and thoughtfully put together. Emphasis on thoughtfully. It really is the thought that counts. I'm a big believer in cards. A personal, appreciative and festive holiday card warms my heart. It doesn't have to be long or anything. Just a nice, sincere message. There is a special file in my drawer at home where I keep all those cards I've received over the years. When I'm having a hard time, and thinking, "Why do I do this??" I take out a card and it reminds me of the best aspects of my job.

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 5:21 am
I would think wine is the one thing that is useful. We use a bottle every week. Even if a teacher gets 20 bottles it ill get used over the year. Assuming the teacher is married and has a shabbos meal weekly and is possibly hosting a seder it will certainly go to good use. And if they get invited out to meals wine is a perfect hostess gift. Chocolate depends on the person but I guess fruit would be nice too.

Grape juice would be a good alternative.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 6:44 am
Wouldn't even know how to bring all this home... what a shlep. Won't it break in the car? that is, if the teacher is lucky enough to have one and not go by subway or bus...

Every time I read of all this wasted money and thrown food I cringe.

anotherima

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 7:00 am
One year I gave the teachers a certificate for a pizza at our local restaurant along with a mishloach manos. They loved it!

overworked

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 11:33 am
This was a write up in the community connections
Title Mishloach Manos Suggestion

To all the mothers of our dear students

With the festive Yom Tov of purim approaching, we can literally
feel the excitement in the air. Perhaps our students are the most
excited of all!! Dressing up and delivering Mishloach Manos to their
teachers is probably the most exciting part. and definitely on
our part to!!

We the fellow teachers would appreciate if the mothers of our
students would consider this:

At the end of the day we find ourselves with 7 "Best Teacher" mugs
9 pens, 5 candy dishes etc. Littering our table and cabinets. To be
honest what we really would appreciate is the $20 tip. And if you
add it all up, it would amount to almost $350 worth of tips. Isn`t that
much better??
Sincerely,
Your Daughter`s Teacher

CatLady

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 12:20 pm
Quote:
At the end of the day we find ourselves with 7 "Best Teacher" mugs 9 pens, 5 candy dishes etc. Littering our table and cabinets. To be honest what we really would appreciate is the $20 tip. And if you
add it all up, it would amount to almost $350 worth of tips. Isn`t that much better??

I can only imagine the comments if this note went viral. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes It'd be right up there with the ungrateful bride text messages If the teachers asked that donations be made to Mazon, Tomchei Shabbos or another organization dealing with hunger in lieu of tchachkehs and junk food, I'd be delighted. But this? Tacky to the max.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 2:03 pm
overworked wrote:

our part to!!

much better??
Sincerely,
Your Daughter`s Teacher

you really think that parents pay $20 per mm per teacher? that's a LOT of money.

octopus

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 2:05 pm
I'm always happy with whatever I get. It's so nice that ppl think of you and appreciate you.that's the part that makes me feel good. It's totally the wrong attitude towards anything in life to say, "well, you gave me this, but it would've been a better and more economical idea if you would've done xyz." It's just not good.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 2:14 pm
overworked wrote:

our part to!!

much better??
Sincerely,
Your Daughter`s Teacher

I'm a teacher, and I find this not only to be tacky, but also super offensive.

I'd feel terrible knowing that parents felt obligated to bring me ANYTHING. I do this because I love it, and because I find tremendous fulfillment in my work.

If someone feels that they'd like to show extra appreciation, that in itself thoughtful and appreciated. As long as it is genuine, I couldn't care less how many mugs or candy dishes or 99 cents tchatchkas I get. And I'd rather that over any ostentatious or obligatory gift. And I HATE feeling "bribed."

And FYI, teachers are people like anyone else, so asking what "teachers like" is like asking what "women like." Depends on the individual.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 2:16 pm
Raisin wrote:
I would think wine is the one thing that is useful. We use a bottle every week. Even if a teacher gets 20 bottles it ill get used over the year. Assuming the teacher is married and has a shabbos meal weekly and is possibly hosting a seder it will certainly go to good use. And if they get invited out to meals wine is a perfect hostess gift. Chocolate depends on the person but I guess fruit would be nice too.

Grape juice would be a good alternative.

Sane another as above. I have no use for wine; none of us like alcohol. But it's definitely the thought that counts!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics