Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
HELP!! What product is effective for teenage acne?
1  2  3  Next

mother4

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:49 am
My daughter is pre- teenage stage and started breaking out. tiny little pimples on forehead, nose, and chin... With so many products out there, I want to hear from people which ones actually help!

Although it's probably hormonal, I would love to get her something to keep it in control. Like a daily soap cleanser, face mask, natural preventative, or any product that will help minimize these breakouts. She is feeling sooo self conscious about her face....

Would appreciate any product recommendation with good experience!!
TIA

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:05 am
that really depends on your daughter's skin and her own needs. what worked/works for many of my friends and siblings did not work for me.
What do you use for your own skin?

There are a lot of unecessary ingredients in lots of those face products and everybody will tell you something different. I learned (rather unfortunately) that I am allergic to benzyl peroxide--which is the main ingredient in a lot of face products--and all the proactiv products you see advertised...so I definitely can't use those.
Oh, and I'm saying this in present tense because I had beautiful clear skin as a teenager and first had "teenage acne" in my 20s.

mother4

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:13 am
I wouldn't want something harsh, as she is still young.
For myself, I personally use the Dove bar soap. When I take a shower, I wash my face with it.
I once went for a facial, and they told me that I honestly don't need it. My skin is smooth and beautiful, although I CAN get an occasional pimple.
Unlike my teenagehood, I was always breaking out.. and I hated it. I would always pick them, before the next one came out.
I feel bad for my daughter. Should I just let it run and have her go through that horrible stage of breakouts. Or, is there anything to use to keep it in control?

mommy24

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:15 am
I bought gel cleanser and spot treatment made by Keihl's for my 2 teens. BH they only get the occasional breakout, and its only abt one or 2 pimples at a time. Its on the expensive side, but a little goes a long way and I found it works, if they actually use it Wink

Here is a link for the cleanser: blue herbal gel cleanser I bought the spot treatment as well, there is a link to it on that page.

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:32 am
Honestly, take her to a dermatologist. The dermatologist can look at her face, assess her situation, and advise products appropriately.

Do not go online for skin care advice.

MMCH

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 10:47 am
first advice- start seeing a dermatologist!!!

best advice I ever got regarding my skin - use cetaphil face soap. always a fresh face towel to wipe ur face. (u can buy those little tiny square towels)

carpediem

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 11:37 am
If you see a dermatologist, make sure you go in with an open mind- I have had acne all my life and bh at this point its under control, but I've been to many dermatologists who tried giving me pills, creams that burned my skin, gels that dried my face out....
The acne you're describing doesnt sound so serious (although to her im sure it is, I just mean in terms of severity) that she would need medication or prescription creams. The first step you should take is getting her a good face wash and scrubber. Cetaphil is a gentle cleanser, clearasil/neutrogena/clean&clear are all a little harsher. I would suggest she use cetaphil in the morning and a harsher cleanser at night.
She also has to wash her face properly and completely (it sounds duh but it actually makes a huge difference)- remove ALL makeup (If she wears any cover up), wash face completely with WARM water (it will open her pores), squeeze a small amnt of cleanser on her fingers & gently massage into her face for a good thirty seconds, rinse off completely with warm water and then splash a little cold water on (closes up the pores). Also make sure she moisturizes her face.
The last thing I found helpful was to drink a LOT of water and if she keeps an eye on it, she'll notice that certain foods will make her break out more. (and around when she has her period).
If all else fails, there are always medications to try. But try the simpler route first

mother4

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:49 pm
She is not even 11!
She doesn't wear makeup yet.
No periods or growth yet.
It's not terrible, but she hates it.
I'm wondering what the dermatologist will prescribe as this is clearly typical teenage acne (just like I had). It didn't stop by me until age 30, although got better after 19.
I was just wondering if there is any 'tried and true' soap or face wash that keeps 'em in control.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:53 pm
I know that people recommended to my friend the clinique soap bar. it's for acne I believe. I got it at lanes in Boro park not sure where you are.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 4:11 pm
neutrogena

clean & clear

clinique

all of the above products are good - depending on what's in your pocket book

make sure to get a cleanser as well as an oil-free lotion and to wash twice a day

some people are also diligent in using astringents in between the 2 products [you can use witch-hazel on a cotton ball]

carpediem

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 4:49 pm
mother4 wrote:
She is not even 11!
I'm wondering what the dermatologist will prescribe as this is clearly typical teenage acne (just like I had). It didn't stop by me until age 30, although got better after 19.
I was just wondering if there is any 'tried and true' soap or face wash that keeps 'em in control.

I use cetaphil in the morning, followed by a small amount of clean & clear moisturizer. At night I use clearasil deep cleansing scrub, followed by a small amount of moisturizer. For me this is tried and true, but she will likely need to experiment with different cleaners until she finds the right one for her skin.

gold21

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 5:01 pm
I still have mild breakouts sometimes, and I'm 28. I use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash and it really helps when I have a breakout.

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 5:04 pm
I use Stridex maximum strength pads. They have the same main ingredient as the other expensive toners and works wonders. I am also very consistent with its use since its so simple.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 5:08 pm
I have a teenage brother that had severe acne. The only thing that was really affective was old fashioned alcohol preps at least twice daily.

bookworm10

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:02 pm
I tried everything as a teen.

Finally went to a dermatologist, who gave me prescription creams which worked.

I would take her to a dermatologist. Especially at her age.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:13 pm
Small dissent here: warm water does not open pores. It does increase blood supply. This can stimulate more oil production.

Wash with unmixed cold water, only cold. Try this for three weeks and see. It takes three weeks for ANYTHING to produce results. So try one thing at a time.

Acne is not about being dirty. If it were, children who play in the garden would have it, and they don't. It is from inside.

Some people bathe the area with cold water that has a little apple cider vinegar in it. Careful of the eyes.

But cold water is your friend - on acne.

On muscles all over the rest of you, hot water is your friend. One can actually wash one's face after a shower, in the sink, with cold water, having kept a dry face during the shower.

If you can afford a dermatologist, it is a good idea.

It is entirely possible to use moisturizer around the eyes, and on the neck and hands at the same time as having acne. Skin isn't uniform like an upholstery fabric; one part can need one thing and another part can need the opposite thing.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:23 pm
gold21 wrote:
I still have mild breakouts sometimes, and I'm 28. I use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash and it really helps when I have a breakout.

I'm 48, and still have breakouts.

OP, I got acne in the fourth grade, two years before I got my period.

those acne wipes are the easiest thing to use, if she's not the kind to do a whole routine. everyone's acne responds to different things. I use a sulfur soap I buy on drugstore.com. just search there for sulfur soap, it should come up. I use that in the shower, and that yummy smelling grapefruit neutrogena line.

and bring her to the derm, let her know how serious you're taking this!

hazlacha

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:08 pm
Honestly I would recommend the Mary Kay Acne set (clear proof) and not just because I sell it but because I have proven results that it works. Honestly, dh has had acne since he was 12 and Mary Kay products were the first to clear it up...ever! He had shots and all.
I have a few customers who also saw results with it. Amazing results.

If you want something simpler/cheaper (although it is not at all expensive) I loved the neutrogena selection as a teenager with a few pimples (but barely any).

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:41 pm
mother4 wrote:
My daughter is pre- teenage stage and started breaking out. tiny little pimples on forehead, nose, and chin... With so many products out there, I want to hear from people which ones actually help!

Although it's probably hormonal, I would love to get her something to keep it in control. Like a daily soap cleanser, face mask, natural preventative, or any product that will help minimize these breakouts. She is feeling sooo self conscious about her face....

Would appreciate any product recommendation with good experience!!
TIA

There is a product called "too fruit". Its a natural cleanse and moisturizer. It really helps.
I use it for myself and I really c a difference.

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 12:08 am
mother4 wrote:
She is not even 11!

My dermatologist prescribed a face wash and gel that kept the "typical teenage acne" under control for me.

There are different products that combat acne. I can tell you that OTC products vary in their ability to do anything more than drain your pocketbook. Many OTC facial products are filled with harsh cleansers, perfumes, and dyes....all of those things can have interesting effects on your skin. In comparison, some of the prescription stuff can be far more effective (they have higher concentrations than OTC) Retinoids help to unclog pores and prevent whiteheads and blackheads. Antibiotics fight p. acnes, an acne-causing bacteria. Prescription-strength benzoyl peroxide can also make a huge difference.

A dermatologist can also look at the spots and see if they are blackheads, whiteheads, or cysts, and help to recommend a good gentle soap and moisturizer. Moisturizer/sunscreen for EVERYONE is extremely important. Is her skin oily? Dehydrated? Some trivia - many people don't drink enough water and so their skin is both oily AND dehydrated.

Really, this is one of those things that women on the internet that have never seen your daughter cannot answer.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics