Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
HELP!! What product is effective for teenage acne?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

JollyMommy

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 11:21 pm
good mom that you really care!

I use Murad Cleanser with a Clarisonic and my skin is great. I had breakouts a lot and this got it under control and actually shining/glowing to the point where people always ask if I'm early pregnancy Wink

When I was in my early 20s I used a cream called Benzyomycin (or something?) that worked wonders. It was prescription, it came in little throw away packets with a clear and white cream mixed together. It was $$$ so I only used when I needed to clear a breakout and I cleared it in 1 day using this awesome stuff.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 4:39 am
to treat it effectively it must be treated at the root cause

it is normally always hormonal

and can be treated effectively by rebalancing the hormones, however I think that you should monitor it over time and just use mild over the counter treatments because it sounds quite mild and sometimes medication can have side effects. Sometimes it can be made worse by stress as well.

mother4

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:20 am
Im going back to my old post.
It's almost 2 yrs. later and my gorgeous girl is full of pimples. She had the smoothest tan skin, and now her soft, fragile skin is breaking out daily.
I took her to the dermatologist several times. They alternated with the creams, benzoyl peroxide, cetaphil cleanser, retinoid creams. NOTHING HELPS! If anything it causes her soft skin to become red, dry, and flaky. And the pimples are there still. If we do nothing, it's also bad. Noone in her class has this, aside from an occasional pimple. My husband and me have good skin, and besides for mild teenage acne we are both clear now.
She has it so bad, I am at loss what to do. Every time I tell her "I love You" She says, " but im ugly, pimply....It makes her so upset. I wish something really helped it.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:51 am
If it's really severe and it's been going on for that long and bothering her that much, I would suggest you consider accutane.

amother
White

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 3:21 am
Find a new doc. I tried OTC stuff and finally had luck with one Rx. Tricks I learned- not to wash too hard, not too often, no scrubbing etc as that stimulates oil. I also can't use certain make ups. No coverup, no foundation etc. I break out too easily.
Now I just use an OTC product a few times a week. But I have to switch which type up. Each bottle is something new (and then I can go back to my preferred one). It seems I become too used to one and if I switch it up, my favorite becomes useful again. Just keep trying and remember nothing happens overnight.
Someone recently was surprised I ever needed a Rx- I was that clear! Made me feel good!
Also don't make a big deal over it. It seems she is more concerned than you are. Fine line between showing your care and giving the message "something is wrong about you".
Hatzlacha!

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 4:44 am
amother wrote:
to treat it effectively it must be treated at the root cause

it is normally always hormonal

and can be treated effectively by rebalancing the hormones, however I think that you should monitor it over time and just use mild over the counter treatments because it sounds quite mild and sometimes medication can have side effects. Sometimes it can be made worse by stress as well.

Do a hormonal profile for her.
She could have an imbalance like PCOS.
Are her periods normal? Does she have weight issues? Excess body hair?

Belle

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 8:29 am
Try giving her probiotics! They help. My daughter took Acidophilis daily and it really improved her skin. She had a bad case. I would recommend, however, a broad spectrum strong probiotic as acidophilis is only one strain.

mother4

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 1:27 am
she has no periods yet! just turned 12...I tried probiotics..no difference.. I tried diff. otc stuff, prescription stuff, even ignoring it for weeks.. nothing helps....I never comment about it, yet she hates herself this way (and ppl are always smart to comment what happened to you? especially those who know her from before with such smooth skin) a girl from her class was nasty to draw a picture announcing it's her with dots all over....My heart cried when she told me.
At this point, I'm just gonna have to go with Accutane.......

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 1:42 am
mother4 wrote:
she has no periods yet! just turned 12...I tried probiotics..no difference.. I tried diff. otc stuff, prescription stuff, even ignoring it for weeks.. nothing helps....I never comment about it, yet she hates herself this way (and ppl are always smart to comment what happened to you? especially those who know her from before with such smooth skin) a girl from her class was nasty to draw a picture announcing it's her with dots all over....My heart cried when she told me.
At this point, I'm just gonna have to go with Accutane.......

They usually do blood work anyway before starting Accutane.
Why not check her hormonal levels at the same time?
If there is a hormonal imbalance causing the acne then Accutane may not be the correct treatment at this point.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 2:04 am
I had terrible cystic acne as a teenager that lasted years and years. (I still suffer from mild acne) I went from dermatologist to dermatologist, with no success. All the topical stuff would just burn and make my skin dry and itchy, without clearing up the acne. The only Dr. who eventually was able to help me somewhat was a dermatologist in the NY area, who adjusted and balanced the topical creams so that they are mild enough for my sensitive skin, yet effective enough to help the acne somewhat. Let me know if you want his name. (dunno if he's still practicing). I tried Alese (a birth control hormone), Spironolactone, Sulfa etc. You name it, I've tried it. The only thing I never tried was accutane. I cried and begged my parents for it, but they refused saying that it's just not safe enough. Low and behold, several people I know who took it, r'l suffered from miscarriages/stillborns.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 3:58 am
amother wrote:
I had terrible cystic acne as a teenager that lasted years and years. (I still suffer from mild acne) I went from dermatologist to dermatologist, with no success. All the topical stuff would just burn and make my skin dry and itchy, without clearing up the acne. The only Dr. who eventually was able to help me somewhat was a dermatologist in the NY area, who adjusted and balanced the topical creams so that they are mild enough for my sensitive skin, yet effective enough to help the acne somewhat. Let me know if you want his name. (dunno if he's still practicing). I tried Alese (a birth control hormone), Spironolactone, Sulfa etc. You name it, I've tried it. The only thing I never tried was accutane. I cried and begged my parents for it, but they refused saying that it's just not safe enough. Low and behold, several people I know who took it, r'l suffered from miscarriages/stillborns.

I took accutane as did four of my classmates and we all have healthy children bli ayin hara. It is safe if taken in the right way.

I know plenty of people who sadly had stillborns and miscarriages but never saw a pimple in their life. You can't say that they suffered those losses because of accutane.

mother4

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 11:10 am
True, I had miscarriages, just like that. And my cousin - a nurse took accutane as a girl, she has 4 healthy children...

mother4

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 11:12 am
Which specialty dr. does this type of bloodwork?

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 12:01 pm
Accurate is only dangerous if you are pregnant. In order to get a prescription, you have to sign that you are on birth control. Not sure if that would be required for a frum teenager.

Go see really first rate dermatologist because acne now can be completely controlled with modern medicine. A good doctor can adjust the dosage.

I suffered terribly with cystic acne even after teenage years. One thing I learned is that when I did get a cyst, I would go right away to the doctor who would inject with something and it would be gone the next day. Cystic acne is definitely different than regular acne as those things could stay forever without treatment and leave horrible scars.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Mar 17 2016, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

mammala120

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 4:07 pm
Sorry to hear that. Please try good quality Manuka honey or beepropolis honey on face. Patch test it first. Aloe Vera also helps.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 5:10 pm
As Amarante said, Accutane is only a problem if you take it when you are pregnant.

OP - I was like your daughter. I had severe acne years before it was one anyone else's radar. I went from dermatologist to dermatologist. We tried creams, pills, peels and more. As soon as I got my period, I was able to go on accutane and it was life-changing. Within a week or two, everything had cleared up. You have to take it for a few months, but you will see improvement long before that. the only side effects I had were very dry skin.

That was 16-17 years ago and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I needed to.

1ofbillions

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 7:54 pm
Is there anyone on here that had a bad experience with Accutane? I'm asking because my sister is experiencing severe acne, similar to what the OP's daughter has, and we're thinking of trying Accutane. I've read some reviews online in which people said that the Accu only made their acne worse...

SesameSeeds

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 8:14 pm
I took accutane post high school. For me it was a lifesaver since my acne was baaad. From my experience I would say 1- know what you are getting into. It makes you extremely dry and uncomfortable, it's a hassle getting meds each month, it can cause mood swings... 2- it's a possibility that it can stop growth process. 3- if u tried everything and nothing helps it's a true lifesaver. I am so much more confident now. But I was really desperate so I made it work!

Good luck!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 8:23 pm
High dose probiotics, oil cleansing, no white flour and sugar, cell salts called silica, and bentonite clay facials

mother4

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:51 am
I actually tried the Bentonite Clay, Oil Cleansers, and the no flour & sugar I cannot control. She is barely 12 and likes junk (regular) just like her friends do. She eats healthy as well, and her weight is good BH. I don't feel it's fair to deprive her of sugar and flour at this age.

To update: I went to different dermatologist and he said no accutane until about 14 yrs. He recommended: 1. higher dosage retinoid cream
2. antibiotics
3. clyndamicine pads

She is also taking Gugulipid pills (recommended by friend) and I think the acne is finally getting better. (at least it's not worse!)
I just don't wanna keep her on antibiotic forever...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics