Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Any music like 8th day? Jewish or not? Or country music?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 1:24 pm
I am so sick of the "usual" Jewish music. It lacks emotion. I like eighth day, but there is only so many times I can listen to it.

Anyone know of any similar CDs?

I never listened to non Jewish music, now I would, but when I turn on the radio most songs are about love and s-x and that's not necessarily what I want either. There has to be something else.
Any county style music that isn't ONLY about s-x? I know 8th day isn't country music, but that's all I have for now.

I really need good music now...TIA.

syrima

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 1:44 pm
2 totally different ideas came to mind when you said "country": Kedem by Aaron Rosenblum, and Country Yossi. Smile
But seriously, you like 8th day????
Nice sound, I guess, but each song has less and less content... Rolling Eyes

spinkles

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 1:50 pm
Do you like Yosef Karduner? Adi Ran? Simply Tzfat? Moshav?

zohar

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 2:08 pm
Country Yossi- although it's mostly takeoffs and parodies of non-jewish country-but it's fun.
You may like Journeys by Abie Rottenberg, especially the older ones with Moshe Yes singing. They are very original and moving and many of the songs are country especially the ones with Moshe yes singing.

someoneoutthere

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:11 pm
syrima wrote:
2 totally different ideas came to mind when you said "country": Kedem by Aaron Rosenblum, and Country Yossi. Smile

I think to understand their content you have to know a number of background things, a lot of it is chassidic concepts, multiple ones even, woven into the songs. Combined with odd phraseology, a few inside jokes. When looked at through the lens of what thoughts and teachings they come to the drawing board with, most of their songs have lots of toichen.

I am not related, have no investment, and get no commission, just personally like their music and see a lot of depth in most of it.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:21 pm
chana_f wrote:
Do you like Yosef Karduner? Adi Ran? Simply Tzfat? Moshav?

I was going to suggest all of these people/groups. Chana - I love your taste in (breslov) music!

Op - If your open to non jewish music, and from your op I gather you are, try Counting Crows and Matchbox 20 and the Indigo Girls (women). Older stuff, but great. The Counting Crows especially sounds like the Moshav band, lots of soul and feeling. Very folksy like 8th day.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:27 pm
Moshav Band, Soul Farm, Lev Tahor, Moshe Hecht, oldies like Avraham Fried's English songs. Not exactly like 8th day but refreshing and passionate enough.

Secular country music: Try Rascal Flatts.

Last edited by tigerwife on Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

oliveoil

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:42 pm
syrima wrote:

There are actually a lot of deep concepts from Chassidus packed into their music.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:10 pm
Thanks everyone! I will google some of those names later. I like some of the 8th day English songs, not "yalili" type. Looks like I have what to try out though, thanks!

lubaussie

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:50 pm
Moshe Hecht.

Blue Fringe.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 9:00 pm
OP here.
I really like Moshe Hecht from what I heard so far. Still going to listen to others. Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 9:27 pm
OP again (cant edit amother posts)
I think I'm going to buy Rascal Flatts. Exactly what I was looking for. Especially Unstoppable and Stand. I feel a little guilty all of a sudden listening to non Jewish music, but I just cant find anything Jewish that compares.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 9:33 pm
The other suggestions were probably closer but how about Diaspora?
Oh, and Safam.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
OP again (cant edit amother posts)
I think I'm going to buy Rascal Flatts. Exactly what I was looking for. Especially Unstoppable and Stand. I feel a little guilty all of a sudden listening to non Jewish music, but I just cant find anything Jewish that compares.

Sorry, but if you are 'suddenly listening to n/j music', what are you comparing to?

I didn't mean to expose you. Though Rascal Flatts in general is clean and very 'hartzig' Wink .

Maybe try the other Jewish artists first if you feel guilty about listening to secular music. I really like the others I mentioned, and I listen to them to replace secular music.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 9:44 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Sorry, but if you are 'suddenly listening to n/j music', what are you comparing to?

I didn't mean to expose you. Though Rascal Flatts in general is clean and very 'hartzig' Wink .

Maybe try the other Jewish artists first if you feel guilty about listening to secular music. I really like the others I mentioned, and I listen to them to replace secular music.

Well, you could always go retro and try Simon and Garfunkel.

MadameX

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 11:13 pm
It seems to me that 8th Day are heavily inspired from The Beatles. Why not go to the root of (most) great artists?

octopus

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 11:30 pm
simon and garfunkel

abeona

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 12:23 am
Soul farm
Moshav
Zecharia (beautiful mystery)

Dunno if this is up ur alley but alex clare is a frum singer who's music is produced in the secular world. I like him alot

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 7:43 am
tigerwife- you didn't expose me, I asked. I grew up in a very oot school, I know what music is out there and heard plenty from my friends. I just never chose to listen to it on my own. I never felt I needed to.

I will look up the others when I get back from work. Thanks

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:13 am
Country music is also about love.
And beer. and trucks/tractors. and dogs.
But I think it is cleaner than pop (most of it anyway!)

Where do you live? There are country radio stations that you can listen to.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE (can't say it enough) country music! My favorites are rascal flatts, toby keith, tim McGraw, carry underwood, lady antebellum, and a bunch of others that I don't know the band name, just know the songs.

Welcome to the country music club!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics