Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken bottoms without sugar
1  2  Next

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 5:43 pm
I am looking for recipes for chicken bottoms without sugar, honey, or high fructose corn syrup (meaning no ketchup or most other commercial sauces). Fruit juices are fine. I'd prefer if the recipe is not too complicated

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 5:54 pm
I really, really don't get that every single recipe seems to have sweetener added. So simple.
- skin chicken, marinate in lemon juice, oil and spices/herbs of your choice. Coat in corn flake crumbs. Bake.
- skin chicken. Mix mayonnaise with spices such as onion soup, zaatar, Old Bay seasoning. Smear on chicken. Coat in corn flake crumbs. Bake.
- Don't skin chicken. Put on top of potatoes sliced thin and parboiled. Spice well, try to get under skin. Place chicken on top of potatoes. Bake.
That's for starters.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 5:57 pm
Oops! I forgot part of the list of no-no's is no starch. So cornflakes crumbs or bread crumbs are out. Basically cuts out all my recipes for bottoms. For cutlests I have a number of sugar free grilled recipes

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 5:59 pm
How about if you just spice it- onion powder/onions, garlic powder/garlic, pepper, sage, thyme, basil, Rosemarie....

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:00 pm
Thanks for trying though. I appreciate the thought. Baking with spices on top of potatoes is an option because the potatoes dont have to be eaten by the person who has all these restrictions, said person can eat chicken only. But that is my only recipe. It will get boring.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:04 pm
if someone can't eat the starch, DO NOT COOK IT WITH POTATOES! I cannot stress this enough.

here's what I do to a whole chicken. I'm sure bottoms will come out just fine without the rest. rub the chicken (with skins on) with generous amounts of paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder (be aware that onion and garlic powder may contain starch. prima brand is fine.). add somewhat less generous amount of cayenne pepper. rub this into all the crevices. be generous with the spices. bake uncovered until done.

chanee

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:11 pm
I see I'm the old type. I never cook/bake chicken bottoms in sauces. actually I almost never cook or bake them at all, I simply don't use them. my only recipe for chicken bottoms are fried onions under the chicken then added paprika spice then diced garlic peppers and tomatoes, covered tight, cooked 2 hours. my kids love it.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:22 pm
Can you use wine or chicken stock?

Here's an easy one: pour apple cider in a pan and add spices. Put chicken in skin side down (I don't cook with the skin myself) and bake.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:26 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Can you use wine or chicken stock?

Here's an easy one: pour apple cider in a pan and add spices. Put chicken in skin side down (I don't cook with the skin myself) and bake.

I don't know the exact restrictions of op's guest. it sounds incredibly similar to my restrictions, though. if her guest is on the scd, she can use dry wine or homemade chicken stock without any starch added (she'd have to be careful of her veggies and spices). apple cider can actually be a problem as well. it has a high concentration of sugars, and it often includes a preservative that is questionable. she could put chopped apples in instead of the cider.

btw, op, in my suggestion earlier, I should have clarified the following: only use regular paprika. smoked is a no-no. please call your guest and review all ingredients with him/her before cooking.

a1mom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:02 pm
you can try one of the pereg spice mixes- check the ingredients- I like the schwarma spice and zataar

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:21 pm
a1mom wrote:
you can try one of the pereg spice mixes- check the ingredients- I like the schwarma spice and zataar

spice mixes often contain added ingredients that are not listed.

STovah

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:30 pm
I just broil chicken bottoms on a bed of onions, sprinkled with paprika and garlic powder. It's the only way my kids will eat chicken bottoms, and I enjoy it too.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:22 pm
With the roasted chicken with spices you can mince a few cloves of garlic (about 1 -2 per cloves of chicken) and sprinkle the minced garlic on top of the chicken.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
some threads to sort through with great ideas

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....asted

thanks for digging those up. I'm going through them and there are lots of good ideas in general.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:24 pm
sky wrote:
thanks for digging those up. I'm going through them and there are lots of good ideas in general.
There really are. So many nice savory ideas.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:42 pm
I only use chicken bottoms. remove skin and reserve for making soup. Marinate in a bit of lemon juice or vinegar and sprinkle heavily or less heavily, as you prefer, with a blend of spices such as onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, turmeric, pepper (white, black or cayenne as you prefer), mustard powder, ginger, or whatever else you have on hand. Cover and bake at 350 or so; uncover shortly before the end to let it brown. Baking time depends on how well-done you like your chicken.

Rather than open and close six to eight spice jars every time I cook, I keep a jar just for my chicken seasoning, and mix up a bulk batch every now and then. No measuring, I just dump in whatever strikes my fancy at the time, and shake, rattle and roll till it's evenly blended. A good time to do this is when a number of jars are almost used up and I have new jars waiting to be opened. I take all the dribs and drabs for poultry seasoning and replace them with new containers.

Before Pesach or any time I have odds and ends of condiments getting on my nerves, I'll throw on top of the chicken remnants of prepared horseradish, mustard, soy sauce and the like in addition to the regular spice blend.

For stovetop cooking, I use tomato sauce in addition to either my poultry seasoning OR a blend of bay leaf, oregano, rosemary, basil, parsley, and thyme--or whichever of these I happen to have on hand--, plus garlic, chopped onion and bell peppers if I have them.

welcome home

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:51 pm
I didnt try this but it fits your criteria so I thought I'd post it.

http://www.navywifecook.com/20......html

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 9:13 pm
So no potatoes.
Saute onions and mushrooms.
Simmer some chicken broth (homemade, safe). Add wine, reduce a bit.
Pour all over chicken, bake.

Chicken rubs are really tasty. You may want to put unskinned chicken on a grate, or crumple foil and put it under so it won't be swimming in grease. Or you could put safe veggies under the chicken.

boysrus

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 10:14 pm
wow, I did a double take when I read your thread title! chicken bottoms without sugar! I have never in my life cooked any chicken dish with sugar, chicken is savory only in my books. It must be a European versus American thing....

My chicken is a winner, I have made it this way throughout the many years of my marriage -
Clean and place chicken in oven proof dish
sprinkle with tiny bit of salt, lots of garlic powder and paprika

cover, bake 425 degrees for 30 mins, then 375 for 1 hr. you can uncover it for last 20 mins if you want

there, the easiest thing ever. and so delicious!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey