Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
COmedy Shows in NYC

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 9:50 pm
DH and I would like to go out and we want something relatively clean: no women singing or three-quarters undressed. wE enjoy comedy. Any recommendations????

bigsis144

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 12:37 am
Comedy Sportz Theater: http://www.comedysportznewyork.com

Quote:
It’s not stand-up comedy about sports,
it’s improv comedy played as a sport.

ComedySportz® is fast-paced, family-friendly improvisational comedy, played as a sport. Two teams take turns making up scenes, playing games and singing songs – and the audience votes on which team they like the best. It’s all presided over by a referee, who keeps things moving, calls the ComedySportz® fouls and takes suggestions shouted out by the audience before each game.

The language is clean (teams get penalized if they slip up and use a curse word), the improv is HYSTERICALLY funny. And because the audience participates, it's different every time.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 7:47 pm
We're too shy for that! although it's a cute idea! Any suggestions for regular comedy shows?

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 8:22 pm
I will tell you this. The earlier shows tend to be cleaner. As the evening wears on the comedians get filthier and raunchier. Try calling to see who is in the line-up and ask if any of them are G-Rated, tell the person not he line you prefer cleaner comedy with minimal course language. They will be honest.
OR you can get the line up and then google their names to see if any of their stuff I online.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
We're too shy for that! although it's a cute idea! Any suggestions for regular comedy shows?

The audience doesn't go on stage, if I was unclear. The teams are made from a cast of professional improv comedians, but the audience changes the game up each night because their suggestions are different even if the cast and games are the same.

It's more like
Announcer: "Okay, we need a setting for this skit! Suggestions from the audience?"
*volunteer hands fly up*
Announcer: (picking someone) "Yes?"
Audience Member: "The International Space Station!"
Announcer: "Alright, Blue Team, as per our audience's suggestions, you are 3 princesses on the International Space Station looking for your lost cat!"
*major silliness ensues as professional adults take this suggestion to maximum levels of hilarity*

(it's like madlibs, and the audience fills in the blanks. You don't have to worry about having to act in front of everyone Very Happy )

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 9:59 am
This Comedy Sportz sounds very interesting. The only problem is that their web page seems to say that their shows are only on Saturdays at 6 pm, which is obviously not too Shabbos-friendly. Am I missing something?

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
This Comedy Sportz sounds very interesting. The only problem is that their web page seems to say that their shows are only on Saturdays at 6 pm, which is obviously not too Shabbos-friendly. Am I missing something?

Oh, I've only been to the branch in LA, which has weeknight shows. Could be NY is different
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics