Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
PSA: Getting drunk on Purim is NOT a mitzvah!

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 9:27 pm
I know I'm talking to women here, but this is such a pet peeve. Someone in another post posted that "it's a mitva to get drunk on purim." no, it's not. there are FOUR mitzvos on purim:

megilla
mishloach manot
matanot lievyonim
mishteh - suedah

it is NOT a mitzvah to get drunk.
It's a mitvah to drink (or sleep) until you can't tell haman from mordechai.

And if you can't drink that much without getting drunk - don't drink.

I guess I'm lucky....
B"H, growing up, my father never, ever got drunk - in his life! No way would he get drunk on Purim. Maybe it is because he is a responsible adult who had to go to work the next day, or maybe because he did not like the feeling of being drunk, but he drank one or two glasses of wine and that's it.

B"H I've been married for a few years. My DH has never, ever gotten drunk - in his life! No way would he get drunk on Purim. Maybe because he's a responsible adult who has to go to work, or maybe because he volunteers as an EMT and for Chaveirim and he knows others may need him, or maybe he just doesn't like getting drunk, but he drinks one or two shots and that's it.

I didn't know that people get drunk on purim. And I don't mean stupid, fun drunk. I mean vomiting, falling asleep, can't-sit-still-because-I-feel-so-bad drunk. I mean let-the-pregnant-wife-schlep-the-kids-because-I-can't-help drunk. The I-can't-pick-my-head-up from-the-table drunk and the I-can't-make-it-home-from-the-seuda-without-pulling-over-to-puke drunk.

When I saw it for the first time at age 28, I was shocked. I saw "respectable" men whose wives had to take care of them. I saw yeshiva boys throwing up on themselves without realizing it. I saw a kollel man whose petite, pregnant, prone-to-preemies wife had to watch all 5 kids because he couldn't get his head off the table. Let me say, I lost all respect for them.

IT IS NOT A MITZVAH TO GET DRUNK. It is not a mitzvah to puke. It's not a mitvah to feel so sick.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 9:33 pm
Salut

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:15 pm
http://5tjt.com/getting-drunk-on-purim-2/

black and white

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 11:32 pm
Hear , hear.
I completely agree with Op

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 12:07 am
And for G-d's sake, if you're going to get drunk anyway, do NOT subsequently get behind the wheel of a car to go home!!!!!!! (I promise you the secular court system will not accept a plea of "but it was Purim, I had to drink". They don't even accept that for Chris-tmas and New Year's.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics