Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Did I make my keilim treif?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 9:53 pm
I know I need to ask a Rav but doesn't hurt to see if anyone already had this experience and could tell me what they had to do.

I cooked some pasta in a milchig pot and absent mindedly poured out the hot water into my fleishig sink. There were keilim waiting to be washed, including a frying pan I had remnants from fried schnitzel in. Most of the water actually landed directly in the frying pan. Help!!!! It was an expensive pan! Is it treif now? Are my sink and other keilim all treif? Feel like crying.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:12 pm
Only a rav can answer

It depends when the last time the pasta pot was used for milichig

You may be able to kasher the frying pan and other things etc

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:16 pm
If you didn't use your pot for 24 hours it probably is back to the status of parve and therefore the water was parve and you probably did not make anything treif. I would call my rav though to be sure.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:35 pm
It's possible I had melted cheese in it less than 24 hours earlier - not 100% sure. So upset right now and really hate calling rav. No husband here to call for me and would have no clue how to kasher. If amother above is serious, would really appreciate if you could ask your rav for me, if you are not uncomfortable.

Thank you.

Has anyone been in this situation before? I feel like such an idiot!

Happy18

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:39 pm
Don't feel like an idiot. These things happen, your rav will not think your question is strange or weird or whatever you are afraid he will think it is. I guarantee the rav has heard similar questions in the past if he has been a rav for more than a few years.

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
It's possible I had melted cheese in it less than 24 hours earlier - not 100% sure. So upset right now and really hate calling rav. No husband here to call for me and would have no clue how to kasher. If amother above is serious, would really appreciate if you could ask your rav for me, if you are not uncomfortable.

Thank you.

Has anyone been in this situation before? I feel like such an idiot!

I think you probably need to ask for yourself I'm afraid, because the Rav might well ask questions that another amother does not know the answer too, for exmple, when was it last used for milchig, etc

sorry you sound so stressed, stay hopeful, and gather up the confidence to make the call, you can do it!

hugs

bubbebia

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 11:35 pm
You definitely need to call the Rav yourself. He'll have questions about what the pot is made of, etc. and only you will be able to answer those questions. If he tells you that it needs to be kashered you can ask him specifically how you should do it. And don't worry. We've all been in that position and have had to call. Yes, it's embarassing, but it's a fact of life in our busy homes. They've pretty much heard it all and will never judge you. Besides, it's their job to answer these kinds of questions. Please, OP, don't ever be afraid to call the Rav for clarification.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 12:16 am

You need to replace your entire sink, oven and countertops.

By the way, I get a commission on every kitchen contract I sell. Wink

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jan 17 2016, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 12:50 am
OPINIONATED wrote:
Rabbi Imamother says your entire Kitchen is Treif. You need to throw out every single pot, dish and utensil.

If anything was in the cabinet at the time, it doesn't matter. They are now treif from being in your kitchen.

All food in the pantry is also treif, as well as what's in your fridge. Throw everything out.

I know that this was a joke, but I don't think that this thread is the place for it. The OP is clearly very nervous and upset. I don't think that was very nice.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 2:04 am
Lighten up 😜
Getting all serious and farbissineh will not help OP or anyone else here for that matter

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 4:53 am
OPINIONATED wrote:
Rabbi Imamother says your entire Kitchen is Treif. You need to throw out every single pot, dish and utensil.

If anything was in the cabinet at the time, it doesn't matter. They are now treif from being in your kitchen.

All food in the pantry is also treif, as well as what's in your fridge. Throw everything out.

Look at it this way. If you follow OPINIONATED's advice, you'll be ready for Pesach!

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:01 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Look at it this way. If you follow OPINIONATED's advice, you'll be ready for Pesach!

For the chumrah thread: buy a new kitchen each year. But so you don't forget how to kasher a kitchen, kasher it anyway. Same goes if you have a separate kitchen for Pesach, how do you know someone didn't break into the sealed kitchen and make a sandwich?

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:10 am
If you're anxious about talking to your Rav on the phone, maybe you can text or email him? If he does that. Many do.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 5:54 pm
Nu, did you ask? What was the answer?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 8:18 pm
Try emailing the Rabbi of kosherquest.org - I've done this many times.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:23 pm
Thanks for all your responses everyone. Don't have an answer yet - had a crazy day so didn't have a chance to call. Will let you know once I have a response. Have a strong feeling it's treif. Sad My only quality pan!!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:44 pm
Don't be so sure your rav will say it's all treif. Years ago, back when they still sold raw liver inside whole chickens, and back when people still cleaned chickens by pouring very hot water over them, I once poured very hot water over a chicken before I remembered that I hadn't taken the liver out. I asked a she'elah, but I was sure I would be told that everything was treif: the chicken, the liver, the pot, the sink. I was asked very detailed questions about the temperature of the water --- I had boiled it, but had let the teakettle stand for a while before pouring it over the chicken because I am a klutz and I didn't want to scald myself, but it was still very hot --- and some other stuff. To my surprise, the rav said that the chicken, pot, and sink were all okay; only the liver had to be thrown out.

Also, I'd guess that it would be fairly easy to kasher the pan. I would guess iruy rotchim (pouring boiling water all over the pan) would suffice.

Perhaps if the water wasn't really just boiling when you poured it out, you'll be told that the pan is okay. Let us know!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:01 am
hopefully you can kasher most of the things - especially the pot

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:18 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all your responses everyone. Don't have an answer yet - had a crazy day so didn't have a chance to call. Will let you know once I have a response. Have a strong feeling it's treif. Sad My only quality pan!!

I was only joking when I said it was treif. I honestly don't think it's treif. You poured boiling water over it, not milk.

I assumed you already called your rav at that point. He would have probably told you that even if there was any cheese left in the pot from the day before, it's probably Batul, meaning insignificant at this point.

Second the pot was probably cleaned with detergent before you cooked the macaroni. Therefore there is a reason that any cheese would have been made unfit for consumption.

Third, you poured boiling water and not a cheese soup. Boiling water itself is Parve and in addition to the reasons mentioned above your Rav will tell you not to worry and not to do it again.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jan 17 2016, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:27 am
You can call a Rav anonymously. I don't live in Lakewood but I call the Bais HOra-ah all the time. You can ask any question they don't ask who you are or anything. No one judges you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions