Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Reusing cooked meat

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:12 am
I have a large, cooked brisket that came out very tough and no one really liked it. Any ideas what I can do with it to make it more tender and edible?

itssimplyme

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:28 am
It will probably only get tougher when it's cold.
However normally you can eat meat cold the second day, in sandwiched or in salad kr whatever. The other day I made loads of pasta with chicken and pesto and then reheated it the next day for my lunch. It usually tastes better the next day!

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:43 am
Use a sharp meat knife to slice it very thin. This should be pretty easy when it is cold right out of the fridge. Then in a large deep pan of some sort, you can saute some onions, then slice a bunch of potatoes into half inch thick circles and lay them on the bottom. Add spices as you like. On top layer the thinly sliced brisket. On top of the brisket I pour some sort of sauce, my kids like one that I make at home from equal parts of ketchup, honey, a splash of terriakki, and garlic powder, mix well. Add a little water to the bottom periodically so there is enough liquid. I have had good success with this as a one pot meal.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:44 am
Slice it thin and reheat it in tomato sauce. Serve over rice or pasta.

5mom

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:55 am
Slice into strips. Saute onion and garlic, then add the meat and whatever vegetables you have around (broccoli, peppers, zucchini, green beans). Mix with spaghetti, and serve warm. A great way to use leftovers in general.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 8:31 am
aleph wrote:
Use a sharp meat knife to slice it very thin. This should be pretty easy when it is cold right out of the fridge. Then in a large deep pan of some sort, you can saute some onions, then slice a bunch of potatoes into half inch thick circles and lay them on the bottom. Add spices as you like. On top layer the thinly sliced brisket. On top of the brisket I pour some sort of sauce, my kids like one that I make at home from equal parts of ketchup, honey, a splash of terriakki, and garlic powder, mix well. Add a little water to the bottom periodically so there is enough liquid. I have had good success with this as a one pot meal.

How long do you cook this for? Don't the potatoes take a really long time?

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:00 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
How long do you cook this for? Don't the potatoes take a really long time?

I kind of let it simmer for some time, but no, since potatoes are on the bottom, covered on top by meat & sauce, & making sure to keep some liquid at the bottom so nothing catches, and they are sliced thin, not like potato chip thin but like half an inch about (I scrub them and leave the skins on, supposedly healthy and we like them very much), they steam through pretty quickly. ... couldn't say quite how long exactly tho....

Edited to add: the longer it simmers though, usually the softer the meat becomes, provided it all stays moist with the sauce & little bits of extra boiling water (like, 1/2 a cup every so often). The sauce is thick, so I find the water just loosens it up and makes it saucier as it cooks.

CatLady

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:29 pm
Cook it in a slow oven or slow cooker for 6-8 hours, with added BBQ sauce. Then it should be tender enough to fall apart or be pulled into shreds with two forks. Serve it on a bun topped with coleslaw and pickle slices, and maybe a few chips for added crunch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics