Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How do married mothers teach at a BY???
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:21 am
I am moving and looking for a new job. I currently teach at a MO school which offers respectable (though be no means large) pay and benefits. I know it's early so IYH more options will open up, but I've now had 2 job offers from BY type schools, and I am shocked that they even manage to employ mothers. The pay they quoted me is LESS than what I would have to pay for every single available child care option. Even for a married woman with no kids it's a joke. I would only work for such pay if I were a fresh-out-of-sem grad. I have a masters and several years of experience. But OK, I get it, the BYs don't have money. But what I don't get is those who are mothers who teach in such schools- how do you do it? I saw these schools and they happen not to be exclusively staffed with girls who just came home from seminary. So how do you work on such a salary if you have kids who need child care?

harriet

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:25 am
They often either give tuition discounts and/or pay salary directly to school as tuition (so it's not tax deductible). If you have a number of children attending that school, and have such an arrangement, it can be worth it.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:27 am
I'm one of those. What job would pay better that s assuming you have no degree. When I work it out I'm getting about 30 an hour. Minus six for babysiting. I love the school schedule, off in summers and all holidays. I love the teaching. For now it works.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:31 am
Where are you paying 6 an hour for babysitting? What if your kids aren't school age yet- so no tuition benefit? And if you have only boys- so no BY anyway. I doubt the yeshivas give a tuition break to moms who work at the BY...

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:53 am
I get no tuition break as I wouldn't send my children to the school I teach in . The pay is pathetic. I got paid more than double per class when I taught when I was single with no experience at all than I am now married with over 10 years experience. However, the hours are better than any desk job. I have off when my kids do. I have off in the summer. So, I still choose to teach. I find it fulfilling (though at times overwhelming and frustrating ; )

The way I make it work is by working a side job or two. I know many teachers teach in more than one school, tutor, work in the summers etc. Its not easy and its not the job of choice for many ppl. If this is what you want to do and this brings you your fulfillment, you find ways to make it work. If we would be in financial distress, I know I would give up my job and pursue other employment options.

smss

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:59 am
your thread title's a little ironic, b/c I'm sure single mothers have an even harder time making ends meet on a low salary. married women usually have their husband's income too.

summer0808

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 12:02 pm
Usually people with Masters don't teach in BY elementary. HS pay is better so maybe there they do. If you look at the hours per year vs how much they get paid it might not be bad.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 2:05 pm
Op here. I AM talking about high school. Yes, bh I have a husband with a great income (moving for his job) but I love teaching and want to continue to do it. I'm not going to pay to do it though. Guess I will be holding out for something better...

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
I'm one of those. What job would pay better that s assuming you have no degree. When I work it out I'm getting about 30 an hour. Minus six for babysiting. I love the school schedule, off in summers and all holidays. I love the teaching. For now it works.

how do you make 30 an hour working in a bais yaakov?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:15 pm
Okay.

Times are hard, many take what they find. Also if it's a big stable school it won't close on them. It may accept their kids for free/half/less. They may be frei but love the disciplined students there (a friend of my mom for ex).

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:43 pm
for mothers of school age kids who are getting reduced or free tuition for their daughters it probably works out pretty well.

wife2

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 6:57 pm
a lot of high schools may start you at $25/hour and if you work there for awhile you can get more than that. it also depends on your experience. in my school you get paid more if you have a masters which I have so that helps and unless you have 4 kids in daycare you are still making money

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:46 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
how do you make 30 an hour working in a bais yaakov?

Youre right its more like 25/hr. 14000 a year. 15.5 hrs a week. Off all summer, all holidays jewish and secular, and all fasts. I pay 6.5/hr for my two kids babyditting. I still think its a nice deal. Not a main breadwinner idea but good for a mom with kids at home.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 7:51 pm
I teach preschool. Ill go amother, so I can reveal more info...

I get 21,000 a year for half a day. I made much less the past few years. It comes out to roughly 30 dollars an hour. My child is not in the school I teach, so I don't get those benefits... but...

I also work in the PM doing special ed. The way I see it, its half a day- so half the salary.

Its a supplement to my husbands income. We need the money, but it is little. I like it now when I have little kids and can be home with them, etc. We figure that eventually I will have to try and work for the DOE. But btw- public school teachers make approx. 50000 dollars a year working a whole day....

Oh, and I have a masters degree.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
I teach preschool. Ill go amother, so I can reveal more info...

I get 21,000 a year for half a day. I made much less the past few years. It comes out to roughly 30 dollars an hour. My child is not in the school I teach, so I don't get those benefits... but...

I also work in the PM doing special ed. The way I see it, its half a day- so half the salary.

Its a supplement to my husbands income. We need the money, but it is little. I like it now when I have little kids and can be home with them, etc. We figure that eventually I will have to try and work for the DOE. But btw- public school teachers make approx. 50000 dollars a year working a whole day....

Oh, and I have a masters degree.

If ur talking about the same DOE that I work for, as in the nyc public schools, I make 78k after 8 years and u get credit for up to 7 years for working I elsewhere. Yes I pay taxes and dont get any govt programs and pay union dues and pension fees but its totally worth it. Paid summers where I can work extra. I dont pay anything towards my health insurance for my whole family. I have a nice pension and put alot of money into a retirement account. U can invest in stock market or take a flat rate of 7 percent or a mixture. After 10 years theres a very large raise and I stop putting 3 percent into my pension so its a prettyblarge large jump. After 5 years in a title 1 school, I got my loans paid off by NYS govt. They also offer student loan reimbursement (maybe 1k or 2 k a year) for new hires.
No, I am not in a BY but it was a choice we made and are very happy. Its hard work but we r very happy with our decision.

Tova

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
Youre right its more like 25/hr. 14000 a year. 15.5 hrs a week. Off all summer, all holidays jewish and secular, and all fasts. I pay 6.5/hr for my two kids babyditting. I still think its a nice deal. Not a main breadwinner idea but good for a mom with kids at home.

What about all of the hours you put in at home (preparation, grading papers, phone calls with parents, etc.). Doesn't that dilute your hourly rate to much less than $25?

lubaussie

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 9:05 pm
Tova wrote:
What about all of the hours you put in at home (preparation, grading papers, phone calls with parents, etc.). Doesn't that dilute your hourly rate to much less than $25?

This!

bookworm10

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 9:12 pm
Amother that works for the DOE- Can you PM me? Im looking to possibly start... need some good encouragement! And tips!

78000? So if I worked in private schools for 3 or so years, that experience is counted?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 9:59 pm
What's the shaila??
If you're husband is making a good living and you want teach the girls lshmoh, because it's in your blood why not

wife2

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 11:15 pm
It isn't only teachers. Most secretaries make less than teachers and I know some married frum women who do it. It doesn't always make sense. Sometimes people work to feel fulfilled and productive and get out of the house even if they don't make anything.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics