Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How do married mothers teach at a BY???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Volunteer

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:02 am
I taught at a BY HS for a few years while I was in grad school (for education). I was a STEM teacher, so I earned a bit more than the other teachers, but not by much. In response to the OP's question about how BY can pay such a low salary (besides dh's income):
1. Raise a generation of girls who would be proud to sacrifice their financial well-being "for the sake of Torah" (I.e. in order to provide their institutions with cheap labor). Draw most of your teaching staff from the BY graduates you have taught these values.
2. Make sure there are enough young women who qualify to teach at your schools so all employees are replaceable, and they won't ask for more money.
3. WELFARE

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:16 am
I dont understand the title of your thread.

It seems like you are asking "Why does BY pay its teachers so poorly?" I don't understand what the marital status of the employee has to do with anything.

wife2

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:20 am
DrMom wrote:
I dont understand the title of your thread.

It seems like you are asking "Why does BY pay its teachers so poorly?" I don't understand what the marital status of the employee has to do with anything.

I am assuming she means specifically mothers who have to pay for daycare as opposed to single girls. Being married or unmarried (single mothers) was not necessary but sometimes posters can't always articulate the title or think about how to say it in a clear way.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:22 am
Chiming in as amother.

I teach in a BY HS. I have a master's. I get paid $31/hour and this is not my first year teaching.
I work part time from 7:30-2:00 3 days a week in our public school district.
When my day in public school is over I drive to BY and teach a period or two.

It ends up being an extra $25-50 a day after taxes. Is that amazing? No. But it helps. It allows me to also stay connected within the Jewish day school system. And sometimes, it's nice to teach a class where there are no pregnant students, no need to worry about gangs, and for the most part, the children are not starving at home.

I'm already grading papers at night so the additional papers aren't too bad...my children are already in childcare so the extra two hours doesn't make a big difference.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 2:16 am
bookworm10 wrote:
Amother that works for the DOE- Can you PM me? Im looking to possibly start... need some good encouragement! And tips!

78000? So if I worked in private schools for 3 or so years, that experience is counted?

I'm not that amother, but our district only counts the private school years for credit toward health insurance. For salary purposes I think they do every two years private=1 year of credit.

I may be wrong, but research that before you jump in. Oh, and 78K is not a starting salary...she said she's teaching for 8 years. Starting salary in NYC is somewhere around 60K I think.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 2:35 am
bookworm10 wrote:
Amother that works for the DOE- Can you PM me? Im looking to possibly start... need some good encouragement! And tips!

78000? So if I worked in private schools for 3 or so years, that experience is counted?

If you are talking about NYC DOE, they do count private school experience towards your "salary step" (the number of years you get credit for in calculating the salary), as long as it was full time work -- it must be a certain number of hours a week. So if you taught only mornings or only afternoons it may not be counted. There are also rules about it being consecutive within the year -- I don't remember all the details but if you subbed for a few months, took a break, subbed again it may not count.

Obviously the non-public school years don't count towards calculating your pension, seniority or tenure.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:35 am
It's so funny for me to see what Americans consider to be a terrible salary!
I live in Eretz Yisroel and made 29 SHEKELS per hour for many years, with kids, and with my husband getting a whopping $350 from Kollel each month. And I am considered to be a very top earner in my community! Now I make about 50 Shekels per hour and feel like I'm a millionaire...!

curlgirl

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:31 am
amother wrote:
I live in Eretz Yisroel and made 29 SHEKELS per hour for many years, with kids, and with my husband getting a whopping $350 from Kollel each month. And I am considered to be a very top earner in my community! Now I make about 50 Shekels per hour and feel like I'm a millionaire...!

This says more about your community than about Israel in general.

Just FYI for the Americans here who might get the wrong impression.

smss

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:46 am
amother wrote:

amother, 29nis/hr is not a good salary in EY either, though I believe you that you're one of the top earners in your community.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 4:58 am
It's me again, the 29 Shekel lady! Most of my friends and neighbors are either unemployed or making 'schar minimum' (min. wage).
I am from America, but started my 'career' here in Eretz Yisroel after my chasuna. My boss managed to convince me for years that I was making LOADS of money. B"H, another more savvy older American neighbor opened my eyes recently that I was underpaid (as is my whole community basically!) So I looked for a new job and am now making about 50 NIS, which is more than twice of schar minimum. Do you think I'm still getting underpaid?

sara_s

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:00 am
smss wrote:
amother, 29nis/hr is not a good salary in EY either, though I believe you that you're one of the top earners in your community.

I do hear what she's saying though. 30 USD an hour is considered extremely high in Israel, and only a small percentage of workers earn that much.

smss

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:05 am
amother wrote:
It's me again, the 29 Shekel lady! Most of my friends and neighbors are either unemployed or making 'schar minimum' (min. wage).
I am from America, but started my 'career' here in Eretz Yisroel after my chasuna. My boss managed to convince me for years that I was making LOADS of money. B"H, another more savvy older American neighbor opened my eyes recently that I was underpaid (as is my whole community basically!) So I looked for a new job and am now making about 50 NIS, which is more than twice of schar minimum. Do you think I'm still getting underpaid?

depends what you're doing, but for some fields that's a good salary.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:06 am
I guess what I'm wondering is- if I make 50 NIS/hr in Eretz Yisroel, will I have more or less in my pocket at the end of the month than a lady making $30/hr in America? (Because of the difference in price of tuition, rent, food, etc.)

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:10 am
sara_s wrote:
I do hear what she's saying though. 30 USD an hour is considered extremely high in Israel, and only a small percentage of workers earn that much.

I guess it depends on what type of job you have.

NIS 30/hr x 9 hours/day X 22 working days/month (approx.) = NIS 5940/month.

Whether or not that's an adequate salary is for only you to say, but you cannot claim that "only a small percentage of workers" earn this much. The median salary for 2013 was NIS 6451/month, so clearly more than half of Israelis earn more than this.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articl......html

smss

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:10 am
DrMom wrote:
I guess it depends on what type of job you have.

NIS 30/hr x 9 hours/day X 22 working days/month (approx.) = NIS 5940/month.

Whether or not that's an adequate salary is for only you to say, but you cannot claim that "only a small percentage of workers" earn this much. The median salary for 2013 was NIS 6451/month, so clearly more than half of Israelis earn more than this.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articl......html

dr mom, she said 30 USD, not NIS.

curlgirl

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:12 am
amother wrote:
I guess what I'm wondering is- if I make 50 NIS/hr in Eretz Yisroel, will I have more or less in my pocket at the end of the month than a lady making $30/hr in America? (Because of the difference in price of tuition, rent, food, etc.)

Are you serious?

This depends on a million things.

I suggest you start a new thread and give all your circumstances if you really need to figure this out (are you considering moving to the States to teach BY?).

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:13 am
smss, I was talking to the "29 shekel lady."

curlgirl

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:16 am
sara_s wrote:

So? What is she saying?

She lives in Israel, not in the States, and posted something completely irrelevant to this thread.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 11:48 am
lubaussie wrote:
This!

I prep in school during gym, art computers (twice a week) and library. My assistant does most of the grading. I really love my job.

nyer1

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 12:02 pm
Even if you work in a bais Yaakov and some of you our kids get free or reduced tuition, you aren't really making any income. That would be the same thing as sending your kids to public school and not working at all. The money just wouldn't really be coming in. I don't know how people do it. Maybe some of them don't. Some of them are either on government programs or their husbands make a lot of money,

I work for the doe. Started I think with a salary of 54k with a masters. Benefits can't be beat, and my salary goes up every semester
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics