Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teaching high school- calling experienced teachers

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 1:19 pm
I started teaching at a high school in the middle of the year. What advice do you have for me?
My lessons always seem too short.
I am teaching Judaic studies - Yahadus.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:04 pm
If your lessons are too short, just teach more.

morah

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:17 pm
Plan for 2-3 days at a time- that way, if one is too short, you can continue to the next one. Then, when you reach the end of the unit, you can plan a "siyum" to fill up the rest of that day.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:31 pm
The problem is that I go too fast and cover too much material. I need to slow down and be more aware of the class's needs.

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:39 pm
I know nothing about teaching Judaic studies, but it would seem to me that if you're pacing your topics appropriately, then you should devote more time during the class to student centered activities (having them think more with deeper questions and share out, analyze, create, collaborate, etc.)

imamazing

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:47 pm
You can plan your lessons by preparing questions that connect your lessons to the girls daily lives. I would do these questions the last10 minutes of the lesson and have the girls discuss it or write a short response , personal example etc to hand in after those ten minute.
Or, you can give them a three minute comprehension quiz at the end of the lesson, to zone them into the main points and takeaways from your lessons. This also keeps them focused and writing notes in class, as I would def allow them to use their notes. This shows both you and them how much they have or haven't gained from the lesson.
Or, you can have the girls prepare, on a rotating basis , an article or short story based on the lesson or previous lesson to share with the class.
Hatzlacha!

wife2

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:50 pm
I have taught high school lessons. In the beginning, I would finish everything in the first 20 minutes. I spoke quickly and didn't elaborate enough. Try to drag out each point with discussions, open-ended questions, ask them for examples/opinions throughout the lesson. Otherwise you are stuck at the end trying to make them talk and trying to review and go over the same few points all at once. You need to talk and explain things slower in a few different ways. High school students learn very quickly since they are advanced. You need to build your lesson to be more interactive with various activities. Perhaps give a drill in the beginning of every class or a few question quiz at the end to make more time take up. There are tons of little activities you can add in the beginning or end of the class to review the previous day's material or the lesson from that day that all take 3-5 minutes.

Don't teach too much at once because you will cover a lot quickly and they won't be able to remember it all. it takes time to learn how to pace and build your lessons so you don't rush or cram and so you aren't stuck with tons of free time.

If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me with details about what you teach and I can try to brainstorm as I am familiar with most Jewish subjects.

morah

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 4:07 pm
Are you sure they're getting it and not just politely smiling and nodding? You need to get them involved- activities, discussions, etc- to draw them in so that they really understand it inside and out, beyond just copying down the words you're saying.

lubaussie

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 6:13 pm
Review, review, review

(And not necessarily of that day's lesson)

Make it fun
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics