Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Leave Challah overnight in fridge

coconutbutter

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:19 pm
You ladies are amazing for always responding to my desperate kitchen disasters...I'm not a natural but I'm learning....

So, I've seen a few threads where ladies leave their Challah dough overnight and I've got a few questions:
1. First and foremost, I thought Challah needs a warm place to rise (?)
2. How do you cover it? Keep it from exploding over (that is if it can indeed rise in the cold fridge)
3. Do you find that it overrises? I've left my dough for too long and when it I came back it was monstrous (which I was actually excited about being that my dough usually has trouble rising) but the second I touched it, it deflated really fast and flat....

Any other tips/advice? Please share.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:22 pm
Warm area makes yeast work quicker.
If its in the refrigerator - it works at a slower pace - but expands a bit.
I put my dough in a garbage bag and pour 1/8 cup of oil to spread around over it and tie it closed and let sit in fridge over night.
In the morning I would take it out and leave it in a warm area to get back to room temp and warm abit - so that it does continue to rise -

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:27 pm
I do it all the time. I make the dough thurs night and put it in the fridge (I make half recipe it all fits in my mixing bowl even after rising) the next day I or dh takes it out and an hour before I will be working with it so it thaws and rises some more.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 3:38 pm
I put in my regular challah bowl and cover with a towel right after kneading

Take it out punch down and let rise again for 1.5-2 hours

Then braid/rise/bake

Happy18

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 5:29 pm
It rises fine in the fridge. Please do not put it in a garbage bag, the plastic is not meant for food. Find a big bowl and cover with a towel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads