Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Any ideas how to wash tzisis?

ayiddishemama

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:13 pm
Hi! Newbie here! I am just amazed at the achdus on this site. Everyone is do eager to help eachother out!
Anyway maybe someone can help me. I have a pile of my sons tzisis waiting to be washed and I am dreading it. If. I throw it oin the wash it gets all tangled and if I do it by hand it takes. Me forever and still doesn't come out clean. I had some friends suggest to tie pony tails or stocking but I never had luck with those. Any tried and true ideas that actually work???

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:16 pm
I soak them in oxyclean and then hang dry. No machine washing/ drying.

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:22 pm
I wash and dry my hubby's tzitzis all the time no tangling.

What I do is I take a knee high and cut the bottom off. Then I put all the strings through the knee high and then tie it in a knot. You can even two or three in the same knee high. You can dry it like that. Never tangles when it's dried I untie it and viola clean and no tangles Smile

ayiddishemama

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:49 pm
Wow thanks guys for the good advice! Keep em coming!

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 10:50 pm
A trick I learned from my mother:

Bring all 4 corners of the tzitzis together and gather all the fringes. Wrap in aluminum foil lengthwise and then curl tightly. Place tzitzis in a mesh laundry bag (meant for delicates) and throw in the regular wash. Line dry.

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 06 2014, 11:57 pm
my tzitzis washing problem is keeping the wool strings from getting yellow. once we are sharing tzitzis tips does anyone have any ideas how to keep them white?

takeiteasy

Post Fri, Mar 07 2014, 3:35 pm
I was washing the wool tzitis strings wrapped in silver paper till my son pointed out that the string stay yellow. So now I soak them first in oxi and then wrap the strings in silver paper and wash it.

DrMom

Post Sat, Mar 08 2014, 1:45 pm
Happy 2B wrote:
I wash and dry my hubby's tzitzis all the time no tangling.

What I do is I take a knee high and cut the bottom off. Then I put all the strings through the knee high and then tie it in a knot. You can even two or three in the same knee high. You can dry it like that. Never tangles when it's dried I untie it and viola clean and no tangles Smile

This idea sounds promising. Can you explain this a little more? Do you mean you tie the knee-high in a big thick knot with the tzitzit inside, or did I misunderstand?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 12:48 pm
the aluminum paper will prevent them from getting clean ... I also use the sock or stocking method ... gather 4 corners ... put the length of the tzitzis into the length of the sock & then tie them in a knot so they are kept from entangling ... when they are done washing - you should hang dry them & iron them down when semi-damp

use baking soda along with your regular detergent - bleach might discolour them

granolamom

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 12:13 am
I've been putting tzitzis in a mesh lingerie bag, wash on cold, hang dry. straighten out the strings while still wet. been doing this for 16 years, no problems.

Happy 2B

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 12:50 am
DrMom wrote:
This idea sounds promising. Can you explain this a little more? Do you mean you tie the knee-high in a big thick knot with the tzitzit inside, or did I misunderstand?

Well it is amazing without any issues whatsoever.

First of all I cut a whole in the bottom of the knee high or you can cut up a pair or stockings to have several long tubes.

I pull the tzitzis strings all the way through the knee high. I then tie a knot in the knee high- yes with the strings inside. They will stick out the other end of the knee high. I pull it tight so it doesn't undo in the wash.

I then wash and dry as usual. When it comes out I untie and it's clean. Strings get clean too. Usually they aren't wet if they are a little damp you can lay them out for a little to finish drying but I never noticed them being wet and the tzitzis last very long too. I haven't had them tear or rip.

Glad I could help Smile

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:33 am
I just bought a small net washing bag that is sold to wash socks etc and stick them in there.
It is also great for when I am washing tiny things such as baby socks or washable nursing pads.

ayiddishemama

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 12:49 pm
Chocolate chips is that a regular laundry mesh bag just smaller?

Tech_mom

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 2:55 pm
I put them in a pillow case/envelope and knot it. My experience with mesh bags wasn't great. I tried the sock/stocking thing and that didn't work for me either.

maiven

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 3:55 pm
Hi,
I know this is a bit off topic but I was wondering how do you wash your husband's tzitzis.
In cold? Do the stains come off?

ayiddishemama

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 7:20 pm
Tech_mom wrote:
I put them in a pillow case/envelope and knot it. My experience with mesh bags wasn't great. I tried the sock/stocking thing and that didn't work for me either.

This sounds the simplest ofall. Can you explain how you do this? Do you put a few into each pillowcase or 1? Do they come out clean and not tangle at all? Regular wash?
TIA

chanee

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:16 pm
busydev wrote:
my tzitzis washing problem is keeping the wool strings from getting yellow. once we are sharing tzitzis tips does anyone have any ideas how to keep them white?

I soak them 10 minutes ONLY in drop of oxy clean and 1/2 cup milk after tzitzes has been cleaned. then rinse and white.

BMe

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 7:36 am
Do you tie them with the actual strings? Doesn't that break them? I've found they're so brittle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics