Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Earliest time to knock on doors to deliver shalach manos?
Previous  1  2

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:32 am
I have lived in Israel for many years so I may have forgotten, but please tell me why Purim is like a lazy weekend day if you're not going to work. Here it's so busy. There's so much to do: megillah, getting costumed, mishloach manot, welcoming people collecting money and dancing, starting the seudah before shkiah...

mommyhood

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:50 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I have lived in Israel for many years so I may have forgotten, but please tell me why Purim is like a lazy weekend day if you're not going to work. Here it's so busy. There's so much to do: megillah, getting costumed, mishloach manot, welcoming people collecting money and dancing, starting the seudah before shkiah...

The issue for me is that if you have young kids you can't go to shul at the same time as dh. So for me that means dh davens at 7, I go to megilla when he gets home at 8:45. Usually my mishloach manos are ready the night before but if I have any finishing touches they're also done in the morning. Plus getting the kids dressed in costume takes longer than on a regular day so we're not really ready for visitors before 9:30/10. It's definitely not a lazy morning for me it's quite busy and I'd rater not have people knocking on my door super early interupting the flow.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 12:34 pm
Oh, okay. Smile Thanks for defining the term "like a weekend', meaning that you're too occupied with getting ready for all the Purim observances to comfortably answer the door very early in the morning.

In our house we expect it to be an open-door kind of day from whatever hour, but that's a combination of living in Israel and being community-involved, I guess.

I just think Purim should be appreciated to its fullest. It makes me sad when people look at it as a burden of fulfilling minimum obligations, or have to go to work when they'd rather be celebrating our holiday.

Purim as I know it is more of a mindset than a day. King Queen

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 12:41 pm
We definitely do NOT go to megilla early! nor do we get up mega early either, it's not a real week end but also definitely not a school/work day. we take time, we enjoy.

Costumes yes this takes some time especially if you also have hairdo, make up. We don't expect anyone, most people will often just leave on doorstep if you don't answer a ring.
Most of the time we go to a community seuda so no cooking there. Normally the MM are ready the day before or even earlier. IYH Wink

Then the day really starts, going out in costumes, driving around for seuda/MM/kids events/megilla. This year we have found a place doing everything, so we'll just drop the MM at the neighbours before living. My parents' will be sent by post as we won't have time to drive OOT this yr.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette