Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Poppy Seed Filling with no sugar?

BatZion

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:53 am
Hi

I was wondering if the mroe experienced bakers out there know if I could take a regular poppy seed filling recipe that includes honey and sugar and just sub both with silan?If not- what do I do in order to create a sugar-free poppy seed recipe?

In addition, do any of you have sugar-free (no fancy sugar alternatives!) fillings for hamantashen?

Thanks!

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 6:50 pm
I think date syrup will be too liquidy ... have you tried putting some dates or similar fruit into a food processor - it will still be sweet - but natural

ps ~ prunes would go well with the poppy seed

mandksima

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 7:06 pm
I also would recommend pureeing your own dates rather than use the too liquidy silan. I use both dates and silan very often, I bake a lot without regular sugar. I found this recipe that uses dates and honey but there you could substitute the honey with date honey/silan. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it but here it is poppy seed filling

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 7:14 pm
I've used figs & they were amazing - I might have added a little water to the mix - but nothing else & then I put them in a whole wheat hamantash dough

Volunteer

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 7:22 pm
Here's a recipe I made up myself. I like it better than regular poppy seed filling because it's more flavorful and it's nice and thick, so it doesn't leak out of your cookies.
Poppy Seed Filling for Hamantaschen makes about 1 cup of filling (enough for about 3 dozen cookies)
1/2 cup poppy seeds
3/4 cup raisins (regular or golden)
1/4 cup whole walnuts
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/4 tsp almond extract
a pinch of salt
water as needed (a few tablespoons)

Optional step: To increase the flavor of your poppy seeds, you can toast them if you want to. Place all the seeds in a dry skillet and heat them on med to med-high heat until they are fragrant (2-5 minutes), stirring constantly. Be careful not to burn them.

Simply combine the poppy seeds, raisins, walnuts, extract, and salt in a food processor. Grind them all up together, gradually adding a TBS of water at a time, to make a paste. You'll need between 1-4 Tbs of water, depending on how moist your raisins are. If you accidentally add too much water, just add more raisins and seeds to compensate.

Variations: I have used dried apricots instead of raisins and the filling turned out excellent. I have omitted the walnuts and replaced them with more poppy seeds, and it also turned out good; the texture was a little grainier and it didn't have that slight nutty flavor from the walnuts. Once I added fresh lemon juice instead of water and lemon zest instead of vanilla, and it imparted a delicious tang.

BatZion

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 12:11 pm
thanks everyone for the input Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking