Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
I really want to cut my preschool students nails....
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 4:18 pm
I am the amother above. I get these notes when my kid has virtually no nail to cut.

ElTam

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 4:19 pm
Quote:
if you cut the kid's finger - you're an idiot & shouldn't be cutting your own nails ...

I've cut my very squirmy kids nails twice in 10 years of parenting. If the jerk right as you are clipping down, it can happen. And I have two kids who have to be sat on to have their nails cut. This was insulting to no purpose.

LisaS

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 4:25 pm
Here in Israel nail hygiene is very important, not to mention that kids can accidentally scratch each other. It is definitely embarrassing for a mom to see that someone else cut her kid's nails, but it still may be the right thing to do. If she mentions it, just say that you are checking all kids' nails and trimming where needed. Of course I would only do it if the child does not object.

Alternatively, tell the children to bring in a mitzvah note if they let their parents cut their nails. It could even be lekavod Shabbat. 3 weeks straight and they get a token prize. That might get the girl to ask her parents to cut her nails.

I think you meant appealing rather than appetizing.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 6:34 pm
ElTam wrote:
Quote:
if you cut the kid's finger - you're an idiot & shouldn't be cutting your own nails ...

I've cut my very squirmy kids nails twice in 10 years of parenting. If the jerk right as you are clipping down, it can happen. And I have two kids who have to be sat on to have their nails cut. This was insulting to no purpose.

I'm sorry you feel this way & I didn't mean to insult you ... and I obviously don't think you on a personal level to be an idiot ...

however, I'm going to stick with my comment on some level - because I see too many kids neglected and with poor hygiene because of parents who don't take the time to care or learn to groom their children [again I am not directing this at you or your cute - clean - fun - personable kiddies]

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 8:58 pm
I don't view nail cutting as a hygiene thing.

My kids have always hated cutting their nails, so I do it as little as possible. Eh. They wash their hands pretty well though.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:20 pm
As a parent I'd be furious if a teacher did something like this. Some responsibilities belong to a parent, and a teacher who takes them on is crossing a line that she has no business crossing. Better the Morah should send all parents a letter reminding them to keep nails short for everyone's safety and comfort, and extra reminders for those whose parents are a little forgetful.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:32 pm
zaq wrote:
As a parent I'd be furious if a teacher did something like this. Some responsibilities belong to a parent, and a teacher who takes them on is crossing a line that she has no business crossing. Better the Morah should send all parents a letter reminding them to keep nails short for everyone's safety and comfort, and extra reminders for those whose parents are a little forgetful.

This.
I'd be really upset. Not embarrassed like some amothers above wrote. Fuming.
I understand that a teacher might get annoyed when children come to school with long nails, but a letter to the parents is the only thing she could and should do about it.

observer

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:35 pm
I would definitely not want a teacher cutting my child's nails. If anything, I would prefer a "I noticed her nails got long, if you want to cut them" type of comment. Yes, it is embarrassing, but not the end of the world. But I would not want anyone cutting it themselves without my permission.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:36 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

My kids have always hated cutting their nails, so I do it as little as possible. Eh. They wash their hands pretty well though.

Dirt can get stuck under nails, and if they scratch themselves with their own dirty nails they can get cuts or bruises infected.
When my kids had eczema their pediatrician always made sure to mention that their nails must be kept short, to prevent infection and germ-spreading.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 10:01 pm
When my daughter was about two years old, she was in a mishpachton, a day care in someone's home. I noticed one day, as I picked her up that there was a sign on the door that each parent should take care to cut their children's nails so that they dont hurt each other. My daughter's nails were cut. I was not upset, I was extremely embarrassed. But I just viewed it, the note, as a way that the ganenet did not want to embarrass me so she wrote the note for everyone to see so that I would not be singled out.
But I would have much rathered having the nails long and me or my husband cutting them and only seeing the note.

Dont cut them, you will embarrass the parents. Put a "communal" note at the doorway to the gan and let them all know that they need to keep their children's nails the way you see fit.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:26 am
I signed a permission slip when yds started school that I allow the school to cut his nails as needed. It makes my life so much easier knowing that the school will deal with his nails. Obviously, I'm talking about a very difficult child who goes to a special school. With my ds, its definitely a safety hazard to cut his nails, and its a bigger safety hazard to leave his nails long. Everyone who has any contact with him has scratches on every visible body part. For me to cut his nails means getting bitten, pinched, kicked, and kneed. (Ds has autism; I realize its not the norm.) Having his nails cut in school means his teacher could hold him on her lap while an OT cuts his nails. If he gets out of control, there are more staff members available to help.
If someone would cut my "normal" child's nails, I wouldn't mind it. While its not as dangerous as yds, its still one less battle for me to deal with.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 9:03 am
amother wrote:
One of my child's teachers is totally crazy about nail length. She checks the kids on a regular basis and sends notes home to cut the kid's nails. It's offensive but I ignore it as her mishegas. If she cut my kid's nails, there would be a big problem.

Maybe she sends notes out to everyone, so as not to single out an individual child.

Actually not such a bad idea, OP.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 9:06 am
saw50st8 wrote:

It actually IS a hygiene thing in a preschool environment. Kids can get pinworms in dirt that is trapped under uncut nails.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 9:26 am
I'm a mother of 7 and I hate cutting nails
I think it's because when #2 was a baby I once cut them too small and cut her

I always procrastinate cutting
I had one babysitter that cut and I was happy as I really hate cutting them

I have had other babysitters ask me when I picked up my baby to please cut his/her nails.

BabsB

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 10:28 am
I have had several occasions where I finally got DS to sit still to have his nails cut, only to notice they had already been done.

Whether they were done by the babysitter or my mother I have no idea, I never asked. I was embarrassed but also grateful.

One idea OP could be to send out permission slips pertaining to a hygiene unit you are about to do. Explain you are going through a unit of teaching the kids to care for themselves and you need permission to help brush hair, teeth, trim nails, etc.
You'll know who isn't comfortable with you doing those things without embarrassing anyone.

Btw, I finally figured out the secret. When he saw a family friend's dog getting washed and trimmed in the sink, he wanted to participate. Now we schedule it so we are there when the friend takes care of the dog. I plop DS up on the counter and he lets me do whatever trimming I need to do!

deena19k

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:08 am
Forget about the teacher saying something, don't you all get grossed out when yourkids nails are too long?! We cut nails once a week whether the kids like it or not. Would you push off giving your kids a bath because they screamed, and then wait for their teacher to say something? Part of basic hygiene people!

imaima

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 3:19 pm
deena19k wrote:
Forget about the teacher saying something, don't you all get grossed out when yourkids nails are too long?! We cut nails once a week whether the kids like it or not. Would you push off giving your kids a bath because they screamed, and then wait for their teacher to say something? Part of basic hygiene people!

This!!
To those who tip toe around their kids: I don't get what is here to discuss. If your child cried when you wiped their bottom, would you leave it dirty? For weeks?
How is it different with nails?
My child has a thin scar on the face from the scratch she got in a palygroup. Thank you very much. It could have been avoided if someone made sure to keep their kids nails short.
It is not only about how your own child looks and feels (!!!) but they also present a hazard for other children. If your child itched his bottom and then scratched another child with those nails, then his feces landed under someone else's skin! Just because you don't want to deal with a whiny wiggly child!!

I understand the poster with a SN child, but what's up with all of those amothers who "hate to deal with it"? They do deserve to get embarrassed and maybe then something will change.
If you are so snowflaky then raise your kids at home and don't send them to an establishment where there are hygienic standards to keep!

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 3:44 pm
Chayalle wrote:
It actually IS a hygiene thing in a preschool environment. Kids can get pinworms in dirt that is trapped under uncut nails.

I have never met a child who got pinworms from dirt under their nails. I have 4 kids.

Washing their hands well would solve the issue.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 4:11 pm
CDC recommends keeping nails short http://www.cdc.gov/healthywate......html

imaima

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 4:12 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I have never met a child who got pinworms from dirt under their nails. I have 4 kids.

Washing their hands well would solve the issue.

Well 4 is not enough to see any pattern here.
Washing their hands does help, but if they have long nails, the water won't go all the way and there still be dirt deep in there.
And if someone expects a playgroup teacher to help wash out that dirt from under the nail, then they could just as well let the teacher cut the nails off!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics