Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Sephardic communities outside of Brooklyn/Deal?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:31 pm
Before we got married, my husband and I agreed to live in the Brooklyn Syrian community and raise our children here. As time goes by, I am seriously starting to hate Brooklyn! Everything is expensive, there is no parking, its dirty, the list goes on and I'm sick of it! We are paying $2500 for a 2 bedroom apartment! That is insane. It's a mortgage anywhere else in the country! The other day I wanted to go to a store on Avenue U and I kept circling and circling and circling the block. Cars and trucks were double parked and traffic was crazy. By the 8th time I was so pissed off I slammed my fists on the steering wheel and drove home in a rage. I barged into the apartment and screamed to my husband that if we do not move, and move soon I want a divorce (this has been a recurring argument for almost 3 years already). He just replied saying what he always says which is "find me a place where I can have a sephardic minyan every morning and we will move". The problem is I cant find one! I refuse to live in Deal where it is completely dead for 9 months out of the year. We are also too modern for Lakewood. Does anybody have any suggestions or any communities I can look into outside of Brooklyn and Deal? We want to stay within a 2 hour driving distance to Brooklyn. Please I am so desperate.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:43 pm
I know you want to stay on the East coast, but there are several in the West coast. There's a huge Sephardic community in Los Angeles, for example.

I live in Seattle, and we have two communities here that overlap. One is in the Turkish tradition, and the other is Rhodesli. I'm a member of the Rhodesli kehillah (Ezra Bessaroth), and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. They're a wonderful group of people!

Seattle is mostly a MO community, and the main Orthodox schools have a Sephardic learning track that parallels the Ashkenazic learning (Seattle Hebrew Academy and Northwest Yeshivah High School). I'm renting a two and a half bedroom house for just under $1,400 a month. For what you're paying, you could easily find a 4 br, 2 bath house with a big yard.

If you're in the tech industry, there's still jobs here, too. The public transportation is not too bad. I've been in cities with better, but it's not horrible. Summers are mild, winters are never very cold. It rains a lot, but it's usually a gentle rain. Hardly anyone carries umbrellas, a coat hood works fine. It's green and lush all year round.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:44 pm
South Florida has a few large Sephardic communities, but they aren't within two hours of Brooklyn.

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 5:39 pm
I'm not sure if you would consider another neighborhood within Brooklyn, but Mill Basin has a few sephardic shuls, one with quite a large membership, with daily minyamin. And the apartments are a lot more reasonable than in the Syrian neighborhood. Parking in the neighborhood is generally plentiful as well, and it has more of a relaxed feel than the rest of brooklyn, but of course if you're shopping on Avenue U you will still have the same issues.

chatouli

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 6:00 pm
Teaneck has two Sephardic minyanim. Shaare Orah is a very nice shul with daily minyanim. The rabbi is really nice too. The second is a breakaway minyan. Bear in mind though, Teaneck is still a predominantly Ashkenazi MO community.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 6:21 pm
Not much cheaper than Brooklyn (but better parking and close is cedarhurst Long Island. They have a few Sephardi Shuls. Rent on a 3-4 bedroom house will run about 2,500month some will be more some less. It may allow you both to keep your Same jobs. Store are very accessible and its a nice community with lots of options Smile

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 7:33 pm
Kew Gardens and kew Gardens Hills are both very heavily sephardic. I would say at least half if not more of the shuls are sephardic. Its still pretty expensive but there is parking and its clean.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:
Kew Gardens and kew Gardens Hills are both very heavily sephardic. I would say at least half if not more of the shuls are sephardic. Its still pretty expensive but there is parking and its clean.

Parking HA! We have driven to my inlaws in KGH. Drive around for 1/2 hour looking for parking. Called them and said we would not becoming..... Went back to Bayswater to my DRIVEWAY...

sayinghi

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 7:53 pm
Queens
LA

cbg

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
South Florida has a few large Sephardic communities, but they aren't within two hours of Brooklyn.

If this is an option, please keep in mind there are NO Sephardic schools in South Florida. This is a big deal for the Syrian community.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 8:01 pm
cbg wrote:
If this is an option, please keep in mind there are NO Sephardic schools in South Florida. This is a big deal for the Syrian community.

Why specifically Syrian?

Marion

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 3:43 am
Sephardi or specifically Syrian? They are not one and the same.

smiledr

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 4:47 am
Edison/hp has a Sephardic shul - 40 mins from Brooklyn 45 mins from deal

little_mage

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 4:52 am
I don't know anything about it, but the main synagogue in Lower Marion (Philadelphia) has a Sephardic minyan everyday-at least for Shacharit. Cost of living is high-ish here, but it's lower then NYC.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 6:28 am
sayinghi wrote:
Queens
LA

LA is mostly very very Persian, especially the Pico/Beverly Hills area.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 6:10 pm
You should check out Beth Rambam in Houston TX http://www.bethrambam.org/ http://www.relocatehouston.org/

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 6:13 pm
chatouli wrote:
Teaneck has two Sephardic minyanim. Shaare Orah is a very nice shul with daily minyanim. The rabbi is really nice too. The second is a breakaway minyan. Bear in mind though, Teaneck is still a predominantly Ashkenazi MO community.

And Teaneck has a great school Ben Porat Yosef. Its not exclusively sephardi, but teaches both ashkenazi and sephardi halacha.

STovah

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 6:54 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
And Teaneck has a great school Ben Porat Yosef. Its not exclusively sephardi, but teaches both ashkenazi and sephardi halacha.

I thought the OP was looking for something a little more affordable than Teaneck. Not sure how rentals compare price-wise to Brooklyn, but tuition is higher at BPY and similar schools than in most Brooklyn schools.

chatouli

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 7:52 pm
STovah wrote:
I thought the OP was looking for something a little more affordable than Teaneck. Not sure how rentals compare price-wise to Brooklyn, but tuition is higher at BPY and similar schools than in most Brooklyn schools.

Depending on the location, for what OP is paying for her apartment, she could rent a 3 bedroom house. Or if she can buy one, she can get her mortgage payments lower than that. Apartment rentals are cheaper in Teaneck, definitely less than $2K a month for a two bedroom. I'm not 100% sure of the market close to the Sephardic shuls, I do think that area is more expensive, but it's worth looking into.

Tuition, well, you've got me there. It's way more than Brooklyn schools. No question about that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating