Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Keep the money or give it to friend?
1  2  Next

Keep the $1.99 or give it to friend?
Keep it  
 13%  [ 6 ]
Give it to friend  
 86%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 45

shanie5

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:14 pm
I had an interesting situation come up yesterday, and was wondering what others think I should have done.

I was out shopping and a friend asked me to pick up a few things for her. One of the items was potatoes. I told her the price was $1.99 and she said to get 3 bags. When I checked out, I felt that the total was a little higher than expected and took a look at the receipt. I was charged $2.99 per bag of potatoes. So I asked a manager if I made a mistake thinking the price was $1.99 or if the scanner was wrong. She said the scanner was wrong and gave me back $4.99. Store rule is that if s/o is charged incorrectly, they get the item free. If there is more than one item then they get the first of that item free. So I got back $3 for overpaying plus $1.99-the cost of 1 bag of potatoes.

Now to the question:

Do I keep the $1.99 or deduct it from my friends bill. (The $3 comes off her bill, but she expected to pay for 3 bags of potatoes, not just 2. And I was the one who was given the money back.)

Opinions first. What I decided to do I will post later.
And if anyone wants to ask a rov, I'd love to know the answer.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:21 pm
tell her what happened let her decide

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:23 pm
give her the money.

tbh this would be a better dilemma if it was diamond necklaces you were buying for her. Or at the very least, expensive meat roasts LOL

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:24 pm
I would think of it in this way. If your friend gave you $10 to buy the items she wanted. When u left the store u were given the items that u purchased and the remaining money of the $10. Would u go and take off the $1.99 from the remaining money? I definitely wouldn't. Its her luck that the store gave it to her for free.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:28 pm
I would be a nice friend and only ask to be reimbursed for the actual cost paid (which equalled about $4 if I read the story right).

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:37 pm
since you were doing the shopping & the mistake was made on your time ... you get to keep the monies - it's your deal - your bargain ~ imho

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:42 pm
as a side - we had a similar instance ... dd#3 purchased something which had a rebate with her name for dd#1 - the rebate had been collected & mailed in by me ... the check written out to dd#3 - but item was paid for by dd#1 yet I picked the receipt out of the garbage ... who gets the $6 ?

abaker

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:55 pm
charge her the amount actually paid for the potatoes. simple as that. so if potatoes cost 4 dollars and she gives you 6...he gets 2 dollars back.

black and white

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:57 pm
I would charge her back what she expected to pay originally for the purchase you made for her.
And the remaining difference put in Tsedaka.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:06 pm
The Business Halacha Institute addressed a similar question... I think the answer was to split the difference, but I honestly can't remember...

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:29 pm
Shanie5 would u tell us what u ended up doing?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:42 pm
If you were her shaliach ( messenger) and she paid you in cash or other favors , things to shop for her the money belongs to her. If you keep it you are a goniff
If you were anyway shopping for yourself and you are doing a chesed for her with no expectations of remuneration then the money belongs to you

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:52 pm
I asked my husband and his very off-the-cuff response is that it depends on whether you were her shaliach to buy the potatoes and implicitly lent her your money to do so and she will pay back the loan, or whether you are buying the potatoes and when you get back from the store will sell them to her at cost price.

The assumption is that you are probably in the first category -- would you expect that your friend can refuse to take the potatoes when you get back, or would you feel the right to keep the potatoes for yourself? Most people would view the potatoes as belonging to your friend; hence you were the shaliach and the malveh here.

The store has a policy to refund the buyer in case of a mistake. If you are just a shaliach, the real buyer is your friend and they were actually refunding her through you. Sorry.

(If you were buying potatoes as well, then this shailah would become really fun.)

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:56 pm
black and white wrote:
I would charge her back what she expected to pay originally for the purchase you made for her.
And the remaining difference put in Tsedaka.

Off-topic, but it always puzzles me when people recommend giving disputed money (or money found on the street without a siman) to tzedaka. Giving tzedaka is wonderful, but why does davka this money have to go to tzedaka? It's almost as though people don't believe that dinei Choshen Mishpat tell us exactly what to do with the money and to whom it belongs (or that an aveidah without a siman belongs to the finder) and feel like they have to rectify the situation by giving away money that "doesn't belong to them" to tzedaka to make it right.

black and white

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 9:11 pm
I always put "Found" money in Tsedaka.
If I find it in pockets or someone gives me small change, thats where it ends up.
By all means you are welcome to do with yours as you wish

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 9:14 pm
black and white wrote:
I always put "Found" money in Tsedaka.
If I find it in pockets or someone gives me small change, thats where it ends up.
By all means you are welcome to do with yours as you wish

Yes, but in this case the money may belong to her friend. The first step is to determine to whom the money belongs. Once you've verified that it's yours, it is yours to do whatever you want with it, including giving it to tzedaka.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 9:19 pm
this is not found money nor is it her friend's money ... it's her money because the store owner gave her a discount for their mistake ... the friend has nothing to do with it ... the potatoes remain hers as does the original cost that the friend would have paid should she have gone to the store & purchase them herself

black and white

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 9:27 pm
Where are the imamother's rabbi when you need one?

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 9:39 pm
I already paskened

monseychick

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 10:40 pm
WADR to Ha Rav Greenfire Shlita.... you are wrong.. It depends on who the potatoes belonged to at time of purchase.. If the OP dropped the potatoes in the mud or they were lost or stolen on the way home, who bears the loss...

FTR .... you cant steal something and give it to charity.. Halacha doesnt agree with Ruevain Hood...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics