Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Tehillim on purim- source?

newmom770

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:14 pm
Someone told me that Purim is a holy day and saying tehillim on Purim (maybe the whole thing) brings lots of brochos.
Is this true, that its a great thing to say tehillim davka on purim? Whats the source?
Aren't we supposed to be busy with the mitzvos of Purim?

boysrus

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 7:18 pm
purim is a very special day , a great opportunity for tefilla. I have heard that people stay up all night to say tehilllim

in teh purim story, Hashem's name is not mentioned at all. To show that He is always behind the scenes pulling the strings even when we dont see His presence. That is one of the reminders of Purim.
Also, on Purim, we say, kol haposhet yad nosnim lo - whoever stretches out his hand to you ie asks for moneyfor tzedaka, we give it to him. So too, we hope that Hashem will match that, and it is known as a great day for tefilla, hopefully if we cry out to Hashem for whatever it is tha twe need, 'nosnim lo' we hope that Hashem will grant it to us.

crystal

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:59 pm
Boysrus-that was beautiful!

Also, I know this is common but it's said that Purim is holier than Yom Kippur. YK is known as Yom Ha-ki-Purim, like Purim, implying that Purim is very holy and the Holiest Day only compares to the holiness of the day of Purim.

I also grew up always hearing about the strength of the day, and I always try to make the most of it by Davening and saying tehillim when I can...

May we all be zoche to have our tefillos answered!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 10:32 pm
A few very very, smart, learned women I know talk about saying Tehillim on Purim. Shira Smiles just said that she manages to say it twice, I think while waiting in the car while making deliveries.
And I'm not sure if she mentioned this or I heard it elsewhere, I think the former, but there is a teaching that wherever the word "Hamelech" is mentioned in the Megilla, it refers to Hashem also. And it was at the seuda when the king told Esther to ask for whatever she wanted and it would be granted. We don't tend to think of the seuda as a time for tefilla but evidently it's a quite auspicious time...

newmom770

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 11:03 pm
Thanks for the replies, happpy purim!

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 10:54 am
there's never a time that tehillim isn't good ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics