Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
What foods do you pair with cardamon?

manyhats

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 9:12 pm
Cardamon is known to have many health benefits. I would like to use it in my cooking. Any ideas?
TIA

mandksima

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 10:34 pm
I use it with recipes that call for nutmeg often as a replacement or addition. It is great in spice cookies, muffins, cake, chicken (Indian or Moroccan kind of recipes.)

Pineapple

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 10:36 pm
I put it into my (homemade) curry

DrMom

Post Sat, Mar 15 2014, 10:47 pm
Indian dairy desserts (rasmalai, bhurfee, etc.).

Rutabaga

Hot chocolate
Oatmeal

ra_mom

Make some Hawaij, a traditional yemenite spice mix.
Makes a delicious soup.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 3:25 am
I think it's one of the main ingredients in chai tea, which I have for breakfast nearly every morning.

chatz

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 3:30 am
You can stick it into tea. I have it when I go to my in-laws, but haven't actually seen it sold locally.

Off topic - is it sold in regular stores? specialty stores? under another name?

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 3:43 am
Indian foods, for sure.

I include some in my apple pie instead of nutmeg.

Sometimes, I flavor meringues with cinnamon and cardamon.

You can find it in the spice section of many grocery stores.

sequoia

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 8:25 am
One of my favorite spices!

I add it to hot cocoa and to my bulgur pumpkin porridge.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 9:35 am
Give a gentle whack or two on whole cardamon pod, and add to cooking rice. (You can combine with cinnamon sticks).

I make spice mix with paprika, turmeric, ginger, broken cinnamon balks, whole fennel seeds, whole cardamon pods and salt in a jar. I use it mostly as a spice rub for roasting chicken.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 9:44 am
I use it in rice with baharat seasoning.
Also goes well with stewed pears.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 10:02 am
I look forward to trying it.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/s.....black

If you specify to them in your instructions "Kosher, Ship through Milwaukee" it will be kosher. They have a mashgiach at their Milwaukee facility.

spring13

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 5:27 pm
http://allrecipes.com/search/d.....damom

I like to add some to recipes that call for cinnamon or nutmeg - it's nice in butternut squash kugel or pumpkin soup.

mille

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 5:31 pm
It's also great in cinnamon roll dough!

manyhats

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 8:03 pm
Thanks to all for your replies.

A friend of mine said you can add it to anything, in small amounts. So I did exactly that. I added it to chicken, rice , and broccoli saute. I can not say that I recognized this spice in the cooked dish. Perhaps I used too little. On the other hand, DH refused to eat the broccoli. He said it tasted spoiled Confused I rather liked it.

Online, I read that it is mostly added to coffee and tea.

A lot of the responses suggested using this spice in desserts.M Bisli (thank you) uses it in a spice mixture. But I still don't really get it.

Is there such a thing as a tutorial on how to use cardamon?

More specific information , on how to generally use cardamon would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

penguin

Post Sun, Mar 16 2014, 9:29 pm
Welcome back, Many Hats. We haven't seen you around for a while. Hope everything has been okay.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 12:20 am
Rani brand ground cardamon has a CRC hecksher on it. I used it in all kinds of baked goods, beef and chicken stews, and in hot drinks. You can use it any place that you would add cinnamon, if you want a warm, slightly sweet and spicy flavor. If using it ground, use about the same amount as you would cinnamon.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 4:44 pm
Basically use it like nutmeg, allspice, ginger or cinnamon. Just like these, you can use cardamom for both savory (rice, chicken) and sweet dishes (pudding, icecream, tea). Come to think of it, cardamon flavoured choc is really lovely (I remember getting a milky choc with cardamom flavour at Fariway), and cardamom flavoured icecream is devine. For adding to baking, use ground cardamom. Though whole cardamom pods retain the flavour longer. Just like cinnamon bark or bay leaves, you don't really eat the pod once the flavour is infused.

manyhats

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 6:42 pm
Thank you FF and MB. I now understand my problem. Till now I've only used cinnamon on sweet potatoes and in charoses. As for nutmeg, I've only used it in spinach.

I am a fresh onions and garlic sort of cook with a smattering of very basic spices: a bit of salt , pepper, paprika, and onion/garlic powder.I use freshly chopped (kosher inspected) dill/parsley in my more elaborate dishes.

How do nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamon transform a dish. Are they used in combination with other spices or can they stand on their own? Do you add it at the beginning or end of cooking.
Do you consider it a mainstay in your cooking?

A curious mind wishes to know!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking