Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Were you distrubed by children and/or talking in shul?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Were you Disturbed during megilla reading?
Yes by a child talking  
 17%  [ 24 ]
Yes by a child playing/eating  
 5%  [ 8 ]
Yes by an adult talking  
 5%  [ 8 ]
Yes but for other reasons  
 7%  [ 10 ]
Yes for multiple reasons  
 10%  [ 14 ]
No  
 52%  [ 72 ]
Total Votes : 136

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:13 am
SplitPea wrote:
My guess is more "modern"?

a lot of the people at my shul were not frum so are simply are not aware or don't care about keeping quiet. Adults often talk at our shul.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:15 am
You can have several readings and one person can only attend one of them and brings her kids... or you have several readings but all of them will have some kids... or you're OOT and you struggled already to bring someone reading "proprly" the megilla and he can't stay another reading. Or there are several readings nearby but the mom will go to the one in walking distance.. many things can happen

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:19 am
I wasn't disturbed at all. I didn't bring any of my kids (6,4,2,9 months). I offered the 6 year old to come but he didn't want to .

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:22 am
SplitPea wrote:
And they very well might have bothered someone else.

Or, they were just pinching her arms or kept shifting on her lap or kicked her in the shins. Why assume the worst?

STMommy

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:24 am
Yes - by a child who just decided to park herself next to me and chat with me during the reading. Her mother was two rows back. Every now and then the girl's older sibling heard her talking to me and told her to be quiet, which lasted a while. The mother never once moved from her seat. Glad she had a nice quiet megilla reading. At one point the young child and the older sibling went over to the men's section and made enough noise to stop the megillia reading until the gabbai shushed them.
BTW this happened at a late night megilla reading, which was taking place immediately following a megilla reading especially for moms and young kids.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:24 am
A kid came over to me in middle and slipped my megila away and walked off with it.

SplitPea

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:26 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Or, they were just pinching her arms or kept shifting on her lap or kicked her in the shins. Why assume the worst?

Because I have never been to a public megilla reading where there has not been talking/disturbance from children.

Because I am one of those mean people who believe kids who can't sit and not disturbs ANYONE don't belong in shul especially for megilla.

Because I think people need to realize even their kids whispering to them and being jumpy in their lap can bother a neighbor.

Because I think people often forget how important it is to hear every WORD, every SYLABLE of megilla.

Because I feel megilla should be an absolutely silent event unless it is specified a kids reading....

zigi

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:29 am
I went to a reading at shul there were kids and babies there. the baal korei repeated words as necessary. I don't expect complete silence.

SplitPea

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:31 am
zigi wrote:
I went to a reading at shul there were kids and babies there. the baal korei repeated words as necessary. I don't expect complete silence.

And how does he know what you missed from the other side of the mechitza?

Isramom8

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
A kid came over to me in middle and slipped my megila away and walked off with it.

shock Crying LOL

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:40 am
There was a smattering of noise from kids, but certainly not enough to prevent me from hearing megillah. We had a very good, clear baal koreh. Usually I don't have a problem with kids in shul.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:45 am
SplitPea wrote:
And how does he know what you missed from the other side of the mechitza?

There isn't necessarily a mechitza.

The kid who took the book, I would have gotten up, got it back and let the kid know what I think of this behaviour.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:52 am
SplitPea wrote:
Would also like to know if the people who answered no went I adults only readings or private readings Smile

went to an adult reading so no

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 12:35 pm
yes. at night, I took my 2 yr old to shul around the corner knowing that if she made noise, I'd take her home. she hadn't napped that day and was in the stroller. she should have fallen asleep and been out like a light. I was disturbed by two girls (probably around 10/11) who insisted on using pop-pops for graggers. my toddler was terrified and I had to leave. she was fine until the pop-pops came out. aside from the fact that they popped them during the regular laining (they didn't wait for haman, it was obviously too much fun), they were throwing these on the floor of the shul, which I find extremely rude. last year my then five-year-old was scared by cap guns in shul and started crying. noisemakers should be limited to non-explosive items. these items should not be for indoor use anyway.

so I had to take my dd home in middle. I came back for the later laining, but the shul had the women's laining in the basement. the men had a purim party above us. they were singing, dancing, playing music, etc. also, the baal korei sped through to such a degree that he had to take a breath during the sons of haman. it was not easy to follow at all. and people brought their kids to the second laining, but they weren't supposed to use their graggers other than the first and last haman. the kids didn't catch on so easily.

blah.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 12:35 pm
I went to a megillah reading where I knew there would be kids, but the kids were pretty well behaved and the Baal Koreh very loud so it wasn't a problem. There was a crying baby at one point, the mother didn't leave, but he stopped reading until the baby stopped crying.
What did upset me was a mother who came towards the end with two little kids, she obviously didn't come to hear megillah, cuz she missed most of it. It seemed like she wanted them to have the experience but knew they wouldn't make it too long. Well, they didn't make it at all. They were talking the whole time. Thank goodness the Baal Koreh was very loud so we didn't miss any words, but it was very annoying. When someone brings kids, I try to be dlkz that they couldn't find anyone else to watch the kids. But this lady clearly wasn't there to me yotzeh megillah. She came extremely late, wasn't listening, didn't have any megillah and was talking to her kids the whole time. That really bothered me.

marina

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 1:10 pm
hahahaha.

I like kids and I didn't really care about the noise.

How IRONIC is it that one of the very few times women are obligated to participate in shul (and end up dragging the kids along), there is also an obligation to hear EVERY word of the megillah. You'd think they would have picked one or the other, lol

SplitPea

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 1:13 pm
marina wrote:
hahahaha.

I like kids and I didn't really care about the noise.

How IRONIC is it that one of the very few times women are obligated to participate in shul (and end up dragging the kids along), there is also an obligation to hear EVERY word of the megillah. You'd think they would have picked one or the other, lol

My whole point is WHY must you drag kids along? Unless you live in an area with only ONE reading there is no
Reason for husband and wife not to switch off!
NONE!

marina

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 1:14 pm
The last time I cared about hearing megillah, I went to a second reading at someone's house and took my 4 month old, because uh, yeah, no one was interested in babysitting.

The baby made a little meowling noise. And the Baal Koreh stopped. And then continued. She squirmed in my arms and yawned and he stopped again. I was embarrassed and picked her up and left.

Since then, I don't actually worry about hearing megillah anymore.

marina

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 1:15 pm
SplitPea wrote:
My whole point is WHY must you drag kids along? Unless you live in an area with only ONE reading there is no
Reason for husband and wife not to switch off!
NONE!

Because some of our husbands aren't interested or don't like kids or are busy or are sick or are running around doing a gazillion other things or roll their eyes and make a big production or are divorced or separated from us or are away for Purim. That's why.

gold21

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 1:16 pm
I agree that a child under the age of 5 should not go to Megillah! Not fair to the kid, let alone to others. Except for extenuating circumstances obviously, such as with a single mom.

My 5 year old went for the first time this year (I sent along with him books to look through if he got bored) and my 7 year old went too, but they went with my husband, not when I went.

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, Mar 17 2014, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics