Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Were you distrubed by children and/or talking in shul?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Were you Disturbed during megilla reading?
Yes by a child talking  
 17%  [ 24 ]
Yes by a child playing/eating  
 5%  [ 8 ]
Yes by an adult talking  
 5%  [ 8 ]
Yes but for other reasons  
 7%  [ 10 ]
Yes for multiple reasons  
 10%  [ 14 ]
No  
 52%  [ 72 ]
Total Votes : 136

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:13 pm
Night reading was great. There's a lubavitch shul that does hourly reading. Didn't make noise for all the hamans, just a few. Was a not-yet-voice-changed teen who read, but he did a fantastic job. Nice and loud and very clear and just the right speed for 11pm.

I liked it there so much that I returned for one of the morning readings. NOT the same story. first of all we were PACKED into a room in the back (which I understand, but since it was mostly women, could they not have moved the temporary mechitza?), there were not enough chairs (although they did keep bringing them, even during the leining), but the most upsetting thing was the number of children, especially small ones who were there. One mother had four small children with her - a semi-fidgeting baby, a noisy toddler, and an about 4 yr old girl who decided it'd be great fun to click her grager slowly the ENTIRE leining. There was a boy about 6 also who was very quiet. There was another women there who appeared to be a relative who at one point picked up the toddler and was trying to distract him so he'd be quiet. this was not a case of a husband (or apparently relative) unable to babysit, the mother mentioned at the end of megila that her husband was upstairs at the main minyan (the reason we were in the back), and so she decided to bring all the kids to that leining because it was more convenient to get it over with together. I really almost said something to her. There are literally leinings EVERY HOUR and they don't take more than 30 minutes, usually less. In addition, the community where I live is full of people who will come to your house and lein, and so many shuls with different times available.

On the plus side, my 5 year olds morah very clearly told them that little kids don't belong in shul for megila but that they could read "theirs" at home.

I was reminded why I started trying to find women who were having it read in their houses or going to the super early or super late minyanim to hear megila.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:03 am
SplitPea wrote:
Would also like to know if the people who answered no went I adults only readings or private readings Smile

Dh reads for women and kids at home, so he can wait patiently after Haman till they get it all out. He can also stop for interruptions, so no, I wouldn't say I was disturbed.

I find it painful to sit through megillah in shul...I hated it as a kid and I still do.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:32 am
I find the women at my shul to be by far more distracting than all the other kids put together.

Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Megillah, oh my gosh. It's a non stop gab-fest. I feel SO bad for the chazzan, who has to keep shushing everyone and stopping and starting and trying to make things nice for everyone.

I have no idea where the kids get their nice manners from. The toddlers just sit there quietly eating crackers and looking adorable, and the older kids (under 12) play in the lobby without being disruptive.

mirror

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 4:29 pm
Sefardim hold that women don't have to hear Megilla Leining, so you should all convert!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 4:41 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
Sefardim hold that women don't have to hear Megilla Leining, so you should all convert!

I'm not sure where you heard that, but it is incorrect. http://www.halachayomit.co.il/.....=1902
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics