Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How much video game time per night for preteen age boys?

citimom

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:50 am
Bh my 9 and 10 yr old boys are good kids. They don't have too much hw at night and do it immediately after supper. They go to bed at 9 when asked, etc. they love playing on the wii and iPad, etc. it keeps them busy and they aren't fighting. It also gives me time to get things done and deal with the little ones. Yet I feel like I am missing schmoozing with them and just bad in general that they sit glued to this stuff. How much time do you allow per evening of videos/game etc? I'm trying to change the pattern in my house slowly...

MamaBear

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:57 am
I allow between 30-45 minutes of "screen time" per day. It's broken up though, not all at once. We actually set timers since I already think it's a lot and I don't want them to go over.

The tween age is very hard. They don't play with many toys, no more make believe stuff really, they go to bed a little later, so more free time etc Giving them more responsibility around the house is one way to use up the time Wink

citimom

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 12:41 pm
Thanks. Right, they aren't "playing" much anymore yet don't have work all night and no maariv/night Seder to keep them busy.

little_mage

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:12 pm
This may not be a popular answer, and it also may not be what you're looking for. However, if part of the problem is that you feel like you're not spending time with them, can you play a game with them? It also might make sense to invest in some board games that they can play with eachother and/or you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics