Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Video of a Rebbi Hitting a Child - Trigger Warning
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

marina

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:33 am
Don't watch this if you get upset easily and then can't calm down.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.....08355

It's important to talk about these things, even if they are horrible. This is standard practice in some ultra-orthodox schools.

Who is paying for this education? Which parent is paying for their child to attend this school? Who is funding and giving tzedaka for this institution? Why hasn't anyone called the police? Why are these "mechanchim" still doing this? Why do parents excuse it?

Happy18

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:38 am
My only question is has this video been sent to the police?

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:39 am
I'm not sure why people put up with this abuse

tigerwife

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:43 am
Not all parents stand for it. There was a thread a few weeks ago about a mom finding out her son was hit in school and planned on taking action.

Either way, if someone hears that their child was hit they should find out if it was actually abuse or old-school punishment. There is a big difference.

No comments on the video.

marina

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:48 am
tigerwife wrote:
Not all parents stand for it. There was a thread a few weeks ago about a mom finding out her son was hit in school and planned on taking action.

Either way, if someone hears that their child was hit they should find out if it was actually abuse or old-school punishment. There is a big difference.

No comments on the video.

What is the difference between abuse and old-school punishment?

Raw

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:52 am
marina wrote:
Don't watch this if you get upset easily and then can't calm down.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.....08355

It's important to talk about these things, even if they are horrible. This is standard practice in some ultra-orthodox schools.

Who is paying for this education? Which parent is paying for their child to attend this school? Who is funding and giving tzedaka for this institution? Why hasn't anyone called the police? Why are these "mechanchim" still doing this? Why do parents excuse it?

Marina, is there any way I can watch this without a Facebook account?

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:53 am
tigerwife wrote:

a slap is a slap regardless of how you address it Confused

tigerwife

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:58 am
marina wrote:
What is the difference between abuse and old-school punishment?

I would call this abuse:
-If the child actually had marks from being hit
-If the rebbe hits repeatedly for various infractions to the point where students are terrified of him rather than respect him
-If the child is hit in a humiliating way (in front of the class, across the face)

My father's generation grew up with plenty of "hitting", "ruler-tapping", and all the rest typical of old-English boarding school. (He even claims it built character, but I'm sure this wasn't his opinion as a child). I'm sure they didn't like it, but there was no lasting trauma. It was a given that you were punished for doing something wrong.

Today's generation is certainly different, but parents should research their kid's schools more thoroughly to protect them from being hit. Of course, if there is a real abusive situation going on, action needs to be taken ASAP. But don't freak out from a slap on the hand because your child threw a spitball. Speak to the rebbe, and if you don't like his methods, switch schools.

ETA: not referencing to this particular video. I didn't watch it now but I've seen it before and it was awful enough not to watch again.

Last edited by tigerwife on Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:59 am
Thanx Marina for uploading! I've been trying to convert the video to a basic url, but I couldn't get it to work.
I know who the boy is. He's all grown up now (prob 18-20) and what the Skver people would call "Bum" or "off the derech". Sickening.
A classmate took the video.

My husband cried when he saw this. He felt like he was in cheder again!! He had the same dog for a rebbe.

Hatemywig

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:03 am
OMG!

Look how the kid is crying. I feel sick to my stomach. Why on earth did I watch that?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:08 am
This is still good, compared to what's going on in New Square.
My brother was "hanged" in this cheder with his feet barely touching the floor. He wasn't ten yet.
Another boy was stripped naked in front of his class.
Shall I go on??

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:08 am
I would never show this to my husband. He, and every man I know in my generation, has either been hit like this or has had to watch it happen daily in the classroom. The emotional repercussions are terrible.

The good news is that fewer and fewer cheders are condoning this, and more are turning to other methods of discipline. We can hope that this will soon be eradicated, together with most of the current Chassidish system practices. And perhaps the system itself, Gd help us.

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
My brother was "hanged" in this cheder with his feet barely touching the floor. He wasn't ten yet.
Shall I go on??

This video is taken from a classroom in Skver

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:13 am
Maya wrote:
This video is taken from a classroom in Skver

I know!! I'm saying that this is still good according to crazier stuff happening in that place!! I grew up there.
Sorry for the confusion.

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:15 am
amother wrote:
I know!! I'm saying that this is still good according to crazier stuff happening in that place!! I grew up there.
Sorry for the confusion.

Sad

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:29 am
on facebook it says this was taken 6 years ago, nonetheless, my husband was in these types of yeshivas as a kid and got slapped all the time. It needs to stop.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
Shall I go on??

My brother must've had the same Rebbe because I remember being traumatized when he told us what his Rebbe did to him. This same brother has a classmate who had a nervous breakdown due to the abuse he endured in Cheder.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:47 am
Has anyone ever tried stopping this public abuse? Do people actually commend these rebbes for their chinuch techniques? It looks like enough children have been damaged already based on the above posts. It's so sad.

chavs

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
My brother must've had the same Rebbe because I remember being traumatized when he told us what his Rebbe did to him. This same brother has a classmate who had a nervous breakdown due to the abuse he endured in Cheder.

What happened when your parents found out?

Also have any of the children grown up and taken their rebbe's to court or contacted the police?

How in the world can this take place?

BlueRose52

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 11:56 am
For those who couldn't access the Facebook link, here's the video on Youtube:

Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics