Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Video of a Rebbi Hitting a Child - Trigger Warning
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:21 pm
harriet wrote:
a little of topic but does anyone know if there's hitting going on in bais dovid in monsey? thanks!

Yes, a coworker of mine had her son in one of the younger grades (somewhere between bais and daled, don't remember exactly) witnees beatings every day about five, six years ago. She wanted to take him out but didn't know which cheder would fit her son. In the end she claimed her son jsut pulled through the year and hopefully will do better in later years... I was shock a paretn would do tht.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, a coworker of mine had her son in one of the younger grades (somewhere between bais and daled, don't remember exactly) witnees beatings every day about five, six years ago. She wanted to take him out but didn't know which cheder would fit her son. In the end she claimed her son jsut pulled through the year and hopefully will do better in later years... I was shock a paretn would do tht.

Omg I was going to send son there. Are there any schools that dont hit? How abt yeshiva spring valley?

itssimplyme

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:43 pm
That is sick

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:52 pm
I don't know about YSV but you really need to do better research about any place you are looking to send to, speak to many parents and ex-parents to get a full picture. Ask specific questions, was your child ever hit? Did he ever watch someone else being hit?

My dh taught English in a different chassidishe cheder not yet mentioned on this thread. He watched the principal hit a kid who was a mechutzef. He said that while the child probably deserved a slap, the principal hit him in anger and that he didn't think it was justified. But what he could he do? What

Not only that, the mother of the child called dh later that day to ask him about the incident because she thought the slap was too aggressively administered (she agreed that perhaps he needed a smack Exclamation ) and dh lied and said that he didn't think so. When I held him to task for that, he said; well, he's my boss. How could I talk negativvely about him behind his back? So that's one way that these incidents get covered up Crying

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:54 pm
Does anyone know Krasne in Boro Park's hitting policy?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:56 pm
We are all worried about Monsey schools, how about the ones in Brooklyn? Or in Williamsburg?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know about YSV but you really need to do better research about any place you are looking to send to, speak to many parents and ex-parents to get a full picture. Ask specific questions, was your child ever hit? Did he ever watch someone else being hit?

My dh taught English in a different chassidishe cheder not yet mentioned on this thread. He watched the principal hit a kid who was a mechutzef. He said that while the child probably deserved a slap, the principal hit him in anger and that he didn't think it was justified. But what he could he do? What

Not only that, the mother of the child called dh later that day to ask him about the incident because she thought the slap was too aggressively administered (she agreed that perhaps he needed a smack Exclamation ) and dh lied and said that he didn't think so. When I held him to task for that, he said; well, he's my boss. How could I talk negativvely about him behind his back? So that's one way that these incidents get covered up Crying

The fact the mother was ok with her child getting slapped is another way they get away with this.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:52 pm
Butterfly wrote:

And he is still being labeled as R' in general?? UGH!!! (no offence to you amother)

I thought the same thing ... R'eb Abuse - makes it kosher v'yosher NISHT

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:09 pm
And the boys schools out of new york or anywhere in world? Are there any jewish boys schools, not co-ed, that we know for sure dont hit?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
We are all worried about Monsey schools, how about the ones in Brooklyn? Or in Williamsburg?

Williamsburg is IN Brooklyn

strawberry cola

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:29 pm
Poor, poor child. I hope he has love, understanding and kindness ( and helpful therapy!) in his life now.
My nephew went to a (non-chassidish) school where there was hitting. Parents sometimes turn into kids when it comes to protecting their children, thinking that the rebbe/principal represents authority, so we must be wrong and they must be right. Often, it's the older kids in the family who suffer because of that- by the time we get to the younger ones, we (hopefully) have more sense and experience .
Baruch Hashem, my nephew switched schools (wish it had happened earlier) to an excellent school where absolutely no hitting is allowed.
parents, be vigilant. Be respectful, but advocate appropriately for your children. And if there is anything going on, TAKE THEM OUT!!!!!!!!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
And the boys schools out of new york or anywhere in world? Are there any jewish boys schools, not co-ed, that we know for sure dont hit?

Of course. Outside of certain circles it is completely unacceptable.

lubaussie

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:02 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

This! Why do you assume *all* frum schools hit? DH, Brothers, cousins etc never heard of/saw anyone getting hit growing up
(In the home was another story lol)

CatLady

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:06 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

Quoted for truth.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 10:21 pm
chavs wrote:
What happened when your parents found out?

Also have any of the children grown up and taken their rebbe's to court or contacted the police?

How in the world can this take place?

I'll tell you what my husband did to his menahel from New Square who used to beat him up whenever he woke up on the wrong side of the bed. One Purim, he got drunk, happened to meet this animal in shul, and beat the sh*t out of him. And you know what? Many people were standing on the side cheering him on - nobody ever had the guts to do anything until then.

And yes, it does take guts, especially growing up in a place like New Square which is more like a cult than anything else.

Anon for obvious reasons.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 10:36 pm
harriet wrote:
a little of topic but does anyone know if there's hitting going on in bais dovid in monsey? thanks!

My older sons (20 yrs) have gone there as my little sons are there now. Yes there is some hitting but not beating. My boys were hit with something lightly on the hand. There was one rebbi that hit much worse but I dont think he is there anymore.
My kids are good kids so I never had an issue but maybe another parent whose son is more wild will tell you a different story but I have never heard about beatings.

Butterfly

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 11:38 am
OK I did some research after watching the disturbing clip which traumatized me totally.

I have five grandkids in Pupa cheder in Monsey. I shared with my son and DIL everything I read on this thread and about my concerns. They assured me that no such thing is happening in that cheder. Their kids love to go to cheder, love their Rebbe's. When asked if the Rebbe ever hit them or any of the other boys in the classrooms they all said "NO".

BTW, this is their second year in Pupa cheder so it's possible that things have changed from the previous years.
One of their kid's rebbe is a Spitzer. According to my son, he's considered the most liked and cheerful guy in the school.

My DIL told me that my grandson who is Spitzer's student doesn't want to stay home from cheder even when he runs a temperature. He asks for Tylenol so his temperature would go down so he can go to cheder... Of course DDIL she wouldn't allow him to go. She just wanted to assure me that this isn't happening in that cheder.

BTW, an amother PM'd me with the first name of the Spitzer rebbe on the clip. My grandsons rebbe does not share that same first name.. So either this Spitzer guy teaches in a different grade in the cheder or possibly the Spitzer guy from the clip is employed elsewhere or hopefully nowhere.

I'm totally confused now. Cool

5*Mom

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:13 pm
Debating whether I should say anything here. I am aware of a cheder in RBS whose principal whacks the boys. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, he hit another adult out on the street, in front of dozens of other adults. No one said a thing. If any RBS imamothers need to know which cheder this is, feel free to PM me.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:25 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Debating whether I should say anything here. I am aware of a cheder in RBS whose principal whacks the boys. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, he hit another adult out on the street, in front of dozens of other adults. No one said a thing. If any RBS imamothers need to know which cheder this is, feel free to PM me.

This is very disturbing. For some reason, I thought Israeli families wouldn't put up with this like American ones do.

I guess I was wrong.

BlueRose52

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:52 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Debating whether I should say anything here. I am aware of a cheder in RBS whose principal whacks the boys. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, he hit another adult out on the street, in front of dozens of other adults. No one said a thing.

I heard about a recent incident in Beit Shemesh where a rabbi (Rabbi Ari Enkin, author of the Daled Amos Shel Halachah series) was screamed at by the principal of a local charedi elementary school that he has to vote for Abutbul because Rav Steinman said so, and when Rabbi Enkin responded that he doesn't need to follow Rav Steinman, the principal screamed at him that he is an apikores and then, in full view of a crowd of horrified onlookers, slapped him across the face.

Is this what you're referring to?
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics