Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Did anyone hear of these evaluaters?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 5:06 pm
My 7 yea old needs an overall evaluation since he has behavioral and other issues. I called relief and they gave me three names.
Rosenberg in Queens
Fox in the city
Davidowitz in Long Island.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 8:52 pm
Bump

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:10 pm
Anyone know someone else that they had success with?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:
My 7 yea old needs an overall evaluation since he has behavioral and other issues. I called relief and they gave me three names.
Rosenberg in Queens
Fox in the city
Davidowitz in Long Island.

Does he have learning disabilities? Dr. Aharon Hirsch Fried is great, but very expense.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:30 pm
Nopes. Its a she actually. Shes very smart but the school needs guidance with her behavior as well as at home.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 10:39 pm
What are they? Psychologists?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:27 pm
I guess. They charge about 2 grand for the eval so I want to make sure its a highly recommended one. Anyone have anyone really good they know of in the tristate area?

STMommy

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:44 pm
Is "Davidowitz" actually Herman Davidowicz? If so PLEASE RUN THE OTHER WAY.

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 1:51 pm
Why don't you do a DOE eval? This way you won't have to pay anything.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 3:01 pm
Maybe call Dr. Aharon Hersh Fried and ask if he deals with Behavioral Issues as well. I think he charges $6,000.00 (but call and ask). My friend had her son recently evaluated with him and could not be happier: she is going to take her other son there as well. He made such an intense report (around 100 pages long) and recommended all of the top PT, OT, psychologists, etc. He explains everything about the child from OT to regular psychology. Maybe ask Relief what they have to say about him...

STMommy

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe call Dr. Aharon Hersh Fried and ask if he deals with Behavioral Issues as well. I think he charges $6,000.00 (but call and ask). My friend had her son recently evaluated with him and could not be happier: she is going to take her other son there as well. He made such an intense report (around 100 pages long) and recommended all of the top PT, OT, psychologists, etc. He explains everything about the child from OT to regular psychology. Maybe ask Relief what they have to say about him...

shock

There is no way that a school will appreciate nor respect a report that long. It will look like the evaluator felt that to earn his fee, he needed to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the report, rather than make targeted recommendations for interventions for the specific child.

michal817

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 3:50 pm
STMommy wrote:
shock

There is no way that a school will appreciate nor respect a report that long. It will look like the evaluator felt that to earn his fee, he needed to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the report, rather than make targeted recommendations for interventions for the specific child.

Agreed 100%. In fact, I've read research that specifically found that people do not appreciate long, wordy reports - the quality of the report matters much more than the length.

And as cuties' mom asked, why don't you go through the DOE first? Yes, the process can take a lot longer than a private eval, but it's free...

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:22 pm
STMommy wrote:
shock

He is well known worldwide for his work. He includes a terse summary as well so you do not need to read the entire report. In the report he separates it by issue so let's say the kid has a reading issue as well as an OT problem, they are tersely explained in the summary and then in detail later on along with a list of doctors/therapists/other professionals who specialize in that area and bios on them.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:28 pm
The boe takes a very long time and the school wants her evaluated asap.

forever21

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:43 pm
With he BOE you get what you pay for. You could get someone good or someone awful. Unless youre trying to get your kid services, stick with a private eval if you can afford it.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:48 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
Why don't you do a DOE eval? This way you won't have to pay anything.

The Department of Education, at least in NYC doesn't diagnose overall concerns--they can pinpoint learning styles and say there is a rationale for offering counseling, special instruction, PT, OT, speech, etc.
But if you want an overall evaluation if you are concerned about a particular learning disability or are looking for a specific diagnosis, it it NOT what you need.

I recently called the NYU Child Study Center--and learned it costs close to $5000 and afterwards, can be submitted to your insurance for reimbursement as an out of network facility.
why don't you work through your medical insurance--get a listing of professionals--developmental pediatricians or psychologist. Your pediatrician may be a good source of information too--as far as making a referral--as you will probably need a medical referral.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:58 pm
the Board of Education gets paid by your city taxes - go to your local department & put in a request for an evaluation

MyTimeNow

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:20 pm
Rachel Diamond, in Brooklyn. She's smart, experienced, and has a way of making kids omfortable an not feel like "freaks." I've used her for both genders. I believe she holds a PhD.

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:31 pm
amother wrote:
The boe takes a very long time and the school wants her evaluated asap.

\

well, that's too darned tootin' bad. yes, it takes a long time to get a BOE eval, and while it may be more general than a private one, it is a good overall snapshot of what is going on. once you do that, you can still go for a private one. and hate to break it to you, it takes a while to find a good private evaluator and they are not always available right away. it's a grand old waiting game. please, please don't let the school pressure you into spending loads of money.are they going to reimburse you??? you can always go for the private eval after.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:53 pm
Dr. Karen Weiss, charges $3k and was absolutely wonderful and thorough in every way. About a 20 page report, and was a big help finding therapists, would talk to them personally to help us decide. Manhattan, midtown.

BoE evals can be a big waste of time in my experience.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics