Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you keep kids Purim junk
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:31 am
Doc got so much junk from their friends. They want to keep it and eat it little by little. Last year I took most of it away. This year they beg me to let them keep "like all their friends mother let them". Wwyd?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
Doc got so much junk from their friends. They want to keep it and eat it little by little. Last year I took most of it away. This year they beg me to let them keep "like all their friends mother let them". Wwyd?

I mean dc not doc

sky

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:37 am
I let them keep it.

They got it, its really theirs. I don't even think I have a right to take it away, and even if I do it doesn't really seem right in their eyes that I can just take away their stuff.

I have a rule that they can take one item to school each day for snack.

Soda cans are for Friday lunch.

This way it spreads out and isn't all at once.

I have some sister-in-laws who buy their children's nosh from them. They sit down, calculate the worth together and she will give them money and they will go to the dollar store or toy store to buy something small. She said she offered that if they gave everything she would take them out for pizza and they could get 2 slices of pizza and a small soda. I thought that sounded very fair and fun.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:39 am
How old are they? My kids are still young, so when they went to bed I got rid of all the really bad stuff and made a bag of the stuff I don't mind them eating (in moderation). They get to choose one thing a day from that bag.

m+m

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:40 am
I remember as a kid waking up Shushan purim morning and all the nosh would be gone! My parents got rid of it while we were sleeping! It was one of the most disappointing things I remember as a kid.
After a few years we got smart and hid our own stash under our beds so it wouldn't be given away.

Let the kids keep their favorite few things and get rid of the rest. They don't need an unlimited supply of nosh, but they don't need to be deprived either.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:45 am
I would get rid of something they are allergic to only. It's Purim. It's once a year. And it was given to them, though halachically it is mine I don't like the idea of just throwing it away. And it's food, too.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:13 am
How I solved my problem 11 years ago - My kids used to give MM to about 20 friends and they would get back from about the same amount. They each had a big bowl for their stash and they would slowly eat it. What really made me craziest was all the bowls of foodstuff sitting in the kitchen right until Erev Pesach. Because it was theirs they really hoarded it.

By chance I solved my problem - 11 years ago was DD's bat mitzva and we were having a Purim Seuda in a shul for all the relatives for her Bat Mitzva. MM had to be taken care of early so we just sorted all the MM together as it came in - I made one communal bowl for bamba, chips... Another for baked goods... Another for vafel... If someone received something really "special" (like a can of soda), they were allowed to keep it apart. After that, I basically had control. I'd let them choose something to take to school, or a snack after school... And I was able to "disappear some". It was easier to donate to the chayalim we passed that day, or use some when we hosted a local kiddish, this year one of my daughters has a 2 day Tiyul next week so I told her to pick whatever junk she wants and take it out. My kids go to Bnei Akiva Tiyul for 2 days before Pesach - another reason to put away some junk now... By combining it all the kids weren't so possessive of their candy. It looked like so much that they didn't stop me from getting rid of some. There's plenty to go around this week but by next week only the stuff saved for trips will still be left.

That's how we do it since and my kids are happy with this setup - they all feel like they're the one getting away with eating their sibling's junk - It also allows me to nosh on whatever of their junk I want

oliveoil

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:14 am
The whole "it's once a year" thing is all nice and dandy, except that the kids end up with at least a 2 month supply of junk! My 6 year old has 50 junk items, plus 10 cans of soda. My 12 year old has at least double that, probably more. The other kids are somewhere between the two. It's really a year's supply!

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:20 am
kids whose parents confiscate their candy ... have secret stashes or know never to bring it home ... maybe on purim it's obvious ... but buyer beware

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:23 am
I keep it all in a box out of her reach. So far, I let her have one treat a day after she has had some healthy food. For Shabbos, I will let her have a bit more.

I suppose whatever is left over just before Pesach, I will throw away.

I also packed a bunch of things in a zip lock bag, and sent it with my husband to his work.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:25 am
They didn't get any on purim, only in school and it never made it home. Well, most of it. They usually don't even eat the whole thing. I find that when I don't say anything and let them have the whole thing at once, they open everything up and eat very little of it. My mil gave the kids something and she told them to save it for school. My 3 year old put it in the shabbos bowl.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:26 am
oliveoil wrote:
The whole "it's once a year" thing is all nice and dandy, except that the kids end up with at least a 2 month supply of junk! My 6 year old has 50 junk items, plus 10 cans of soda. My 12 year old has at least double that, probably more. The other kids are somewhere between the two. It's really a year's supply!

Try my sharing method. Then when you have 30 communal cans of soda you can use a few for shabbos meals. It's like everything. Too much candy is like telling your kids they can go to sleep whenever they want to. At first they'll be thrilled, but deep down they wish someone (their mother) would control them.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:33 am
Everything goes. DH takes it all to work and leaves it in the lunch room for his employees. But it's easy cause my kids aren't begging for it. I keep them on a clean diet. They don't even know what any of this stuff is, just that it isn't healthy for them.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:39 am
Here's what we do.

Some stuff is in an individual bowl for each kid. The rest is in 4 containers -- chometz dairy, chometz pareve, other stuff dairy, other stuff pareve. Kids can take one thing per day for lunch or after school treat. At the end of 2 weeks, the good stuff is usually gone, and I send the rest into DH's office.

STMommy

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 10:57 am
the cookies, chips, etc type stuff - yes
the candy, taffy, gum, etc type stuff - NO!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 11:04 am
My sister buys off her kids junk. I throw out the candy and kool aid stuff. Rest we keep.

mandr

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 11:13 am
My sister exchanges all her kids' nosh for a trip to a local store that sells prizes and they can each pic a prize.

windowsill

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 11:19 am
On shushan purim my kids sit down with their stash, divide it in 4 - each weeks shabbos party until pesach, if its too much, I take the rest and give out for good deeds done during the week... ie helping for pesach ..

sky

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 11:28 am
I don't understand just taking away stuff from our kids, even if it belongs to you because they are a minor. Or why do they have to earn back what they already got as a "gift".

I think it is important for kids to have feeling ownership. And how do they differentiate between you taking stuff away and them taking stuff away from others.

My kids got items that we don't eat, and they came to me and I traded them for something else - I didn't feel it was right to even tell them to just throw it out - then they may just go and eat it without me knowing or resent what they were doing.

and I'd rather teach them how to have self control and spread out what they got as mishloach manos.

chavs

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 11:30 am
We let them keep it but are in charge of when they get it.
On simchas Torah both kids managed to collect a bag of sweets and still have most of it left as they usually only get it on shabbos or as a special treat. The purim candy will be added to the simchas Torah candy and sold for Pesach so am not worried about using it before Pesach either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics