Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you keep kids Purim junk
Previous  1  2

oliveoil

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 3:36 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Try my sharing method. Then when you have 30 communal cans of soda you can use a few for shabbos meals. It's like everything. Too much candy is like telling your kids they can go to sleep whenever they want to. At first they'll be thrilled, but deep down they wish someone (their mother) would control them.

Oh, it's not a free for all. Just explaining how much each kid got after they divided it up and pointing out that it's very different when you're talking about a 3 yr old and 5 yr old that have a few items each, versus a family with teen, pre-teens and little kids, where the amounts are in a whole different category.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 3:45 pm
My DD is very young (4), and she's still self-regulating her candy intake - like, she wants to play with and taste everything, but she doesn't feel the need to eat it all. So Purim and Shushan Purim are eat-as-much-candy-as-you-want days (not that she eats all that much, like I said, she mostly just tastes and discards) and then some of the really junky candy disappears while the wafers and snacks and such are dispensed as school snacks or whatever.

freidasima

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 4:01 pm
am I the only one who let my kids have whatever they wanted from the mishloach manot? We didn't usually get much junk, just wrapped wafers, chocolate bars, some klp stuff to put away (potato chips, coffee, tea) and sucking candies. As we usually got as a family I would divide into categories (chocolates, wafers, household stuff, junk) and unless it was something disgustingly unhealthy (think - unwrapped gummi snakes which they adored and would hide from me and eat) I didn;'t think twice. Purim is once a year, this is stuff that never entered my house otherwise, and they knew that if they ate too much they would get sick of it, and they did...

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:23 pm
My kids know we don't eat anything with artificial colors or flavors so they have those items to me and in return I let them eat as many chips and other stuff without red dye no 40 that they wanted to. Of course they got sick from all that junk they don't usually eat but they didn't feel like they were getting a raw deal either.

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 12:45 am
growing up dh had to cash in hish purim loot for raisins. he got very good at walking home slowly after each delivery while he helped himself to the good stuff. (didnt have that many mm tho)
right now ds is 2, we added his stuff to the mix and let him have some things. dh has most of it. tho I get the chocolate Wink some that no one wants we give away

ABC

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 6:00 am
Ruchel wrote:
I would get rid of something they are allergic to only. It's Purim. It's once a year. And it was given to them, though halachically it is mine I don't like the idea of just throwing it away. And it's food, too.

My kids got a LOT of junk, and they have only just finished eating their way through the junk they saved from simchas torah! This is NOT food!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics